CNC Milling/Turning Services

Hi all,

I'll admit that this request isn't actually for model railway purposes (well, not this time!), but this seems like a likely place to get an answer.

Alongside my modelling, I'm working on building a "Virtual Pipe Organ" (that is, no pipes, but keyboards, pedals and stops which work some organ software on a computer, to allow me to play an organ but through headphones, meaning my neighbours won't need to hear me practising). I already have a keyboard and a pedalboard, but one thing I don't yet have is stop knobs (no sniggering in the back there!). Something like this:

Organ-stops.jpg

These are, traditionally, turned wood or ivory, but I'd be happy with POM plastic (Delrin). I'm not currently looking to have the stop name engraved on the face either.

Does anyone know of any companies that offer CNC turning (and potentially also milling in the future) services to hobbyists? Every company I've found online seems to require business details and/or doesn't offer their services to individuals. I have CAD files ready and waiting already!

I did consider putting this in the 3D Printing, Laser Cutting, CAD and CNC section, but I'm not looking to do the CNC work myself, which feels like what that section is aimed at.

Thanks in advance,

Linny

• RMweb Premium

i would also think they would 3D print although you would need to clean them up where they were supported. Depending on size I'd think the stop name would be straightforward too!

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, LMSfan72 said:

i would also think they would 3D print although you would need to clean them up where they were supported. Depending on size I'd think the stop name would be straightforward too!

I considered 3D printing, but using resin, they wouldn't likely hold up to the use (they can be grabbed and pulled quite quickly when there's not much time to change registration in a piece!) and I've tried in filament but not been particularly pleased with the results. 

Size-wise the face at the end is usually around 1.25 inches/32mm, but the shaft at the end that goes into the console will need to be fairly long to connect up the switches inside, and the connections into the tube or rod I would have to use... I'd rather have something solid!

• RMweb Premium

Depending on how many you need, I expect making them on a copy lathe would be as cheap as using a CNC machine, so perhaps you should search for custom turning rather than CNC. Also, if you are thinking of getting them made in wood, you will need to search specifically for wood, which most machine shops won't have the equipment to handle.

A Google search for custom wood turning brings up a few likely places, including this one near Glasgow: https://www.turningwoodworks.co.uk/services/

• Informative/Useful 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks all for the advice. I may still need things turned and milled in engineering plastics for modelling purposes at some point, but for now I've put in enquiries with Kimber Allen and Turning Woodworks. 

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 1