Mastercard authentification

Apparently, since early 2022 legislative changes required all UK merchants to adopt a two-step authentification process when consumers use credit cards online.  To date with Kernow this has been a hit and miss situation when I attempt to purchase items.  Sometimes the purchase will be approved and other times it states my card details are invalid because the transaction has failed the 3D authentification process.  I never know if a purchase will proceed until I get to the pay now prompt.  At no point does the server request further information to show the card use is legitimate such as a pin code or a mobile SMS prompt.

How have others got around this issue?  I have dealt with Kernow numerous times in the past and have had successful transactions even after the legislative change came into force.  While Kernow refuses to adopt PayPal as an approved payment method I am stuck with dealing with a card the store's server will not authenticate,  thus the store misses out on my future purchases.

I am able to use PayPal with Rails,  but find that Rails often is out of stock, even with common consumable items which Kernow will show as items available.  In the end run I suppose that my hip pocket is better off,  however, Kernow are missing a lot of potential sales.

• RMweb Gold

I've never had the problem. I suggest you contact your card provider and find out why it's happening. Do you have a smart phone?

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Try a different card.

Place your order over the phone.

Check with Kernow as to where the problem actually is.

Ditto with your bank.

If all these fail then come on here and ask for help.

On second thoughts, why bother, just come on here and have a rant.

Bernard

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Have you tried using a different web browser? I had the same problem with another shops website using Firefox, but with Chrome it was fine.

Turned out a 'helpful' browser extension or plugin was causing the problem. Disabled it in Firefox and it worked fine.

Al

• Informative/Useful 1

I’ve had problems with this on numerous occasions with two cards issued by two separate providers and on enquiring, both laid the blame for issue with the merchant service provider. Evidently the system requires the merchant to provide specific data, or data in a specific form, which the card provider then uses together with validation from the card holder to authorise the transaction. If either is deficient, the transaction can’t be completed.

Naturally the card providers claim the problem isn’t at their end! I’ve no idea if there’s any commonality with the merchant service providers involved, I’ve never delved that deep, but a certain budget hotel chain is the most frustrating one for me and I’ve resorted to booking rooms with them through an agency now.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

In my experience, tsimilar problems are usually down to the issuing bank/card provider and how well their systems work ie. whether the verification app functions as it should!

David

Edited by Kylestrome

I've had the same problem with Rails on their Pre Order platform, with Mastercard. Unfortunately my bank switched from Visa to Mastercard. With Rails In Stock platform there is no problem. The Pre Order platform uses Braintree to process the transaction, whereas In Stock uses Shopify. According to.my bank Braintree was not submitting correct information. This may be the same issue with Kernow. With Rails I can phone and pre order where they put it through Shopify. Maybe you can do the same with Kernow.

• RMweb Gold

I seem to recall that Braintree is owned by Paypal. Not 100% sure though, not that it's relevant anyway.

I regularly credit my Kernow account using a mastercard without issue so I would suggest it's not their side.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Try a different card.

Place your order over the phone.

Check with Kernow as to where the problem actually is.

Ditto with your bank.

If all these fail then come on here and ask for help.

On second thoughts, why bother, just come on here and have a rant.

Bernard

#1:  I only have one card and have had it for over forty years

#2:  I do not use international calls

#3:  I tried using the store's "contact us" link but it keeps wanting me to enter a postcode even though the page states the postcode is for UK residents only and will not accept my application when I enter my Australian postcode

#4  I did contact my bank previously and they said that the issue is with the merchant's secure server

Any other suggestions

• Friendly/supportive 2

Posted (edited)

Many thanks for those with helpful suggestions.  I tried using another server,  Google Chrome (was using Firefox previously),  however, the transaction failed authentification.  I have now managed to send a successful "contact us" email to the store requesting assistance.  I tried several times previously today but the link would not submit as it required me to input a postcode even though the site states the postcode is for UK residents only.  This time the link worked when I input my Australian postcode.

As stated in my first post I have used the card many times in the last two years at the store since the legislation changed requiring 2-part verification and in most attempts I have been successful in making a purchase,  however, of late it wil not authenticate my card.

Edited by GWR-fan
Adding "at the store"
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

The postcode thing can be annoying, I have had problems with websites (not just sales sites, official ones too) which have mandatory fields not applicable for overseas addresses and which give error messages and won't allow you to move forward if left blank or entering the overseas equivalent info.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

Many thanks for those with helpful suggestions.  I tried using another server,  Google Chrome (was using Firefox previously),  however, the transaction failed authentification.  I have now managed to send a successful "contact us" email to the store requesting assistance.  I tried several times previously today but the link would not submit as it required me to input a postcode even though the site states the postcode is for UK residents only.  This time the link worked when I input my Australian postcode.

As stated in my first post I have used the card many times in the last two years at the store since the legislation changed requiring 2-part verification and in most attempts I have been successful in making a purchase,  however, of late it wil not authenticate my card.

I haven't had cause to contact Kernow for several months but when I did I always used a direct email address sales@kernowmodelrailcentre.com. Perhaps the "contact us" link is new?

1 minute ago, jjb1970 said:

The postcode thing can be annoying, I have had problems with websites (not just sales sites, official ones too) which have mandatory fields not applicable for overseas addresses and which give error messages and won't allow you to move forward if left blank or entering the overseas equivalent info.

Same when they ask for a phone number, if it doesn't match UK format.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, jpendle said:

The whole town?

What next, Slough owned by EBay?

John P

Living a few miles from the town it did raise an eyebrow when I first saw it.

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, jpendle said:

The whole town?

John P

No…Ali-Gpay………I’ll get my coat!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

23 minutes ago, jpendle said:

The whole town?

John P

On a recent local history site for the Braintree area (Essex, England) it was pointed out Braintree is a common settlement name in the USA.

I received a timely response from the store asking what form of authentication I am offered to verify the transaction, e.g.,  SMS, email,etc.  The site offered me no form of authentication method and simply refused the transaction.  It seems the only way I will be able to purchase anything from the store is to phone the order through and quote my Mastercard number (as long as the card is registered to the delivery address which it is).   This seems to contravene the legislation process.  Looks like Kernow is no longer on my shopping list even though I have in the past and particularly during the last two years since the legislation was enforced,  purchased many items from the store.  This is a pity as it seems the store seems to have stock which other stores have nil stock.

5 minutes ago, gedlee said:

Hi,

I have never experienced a problem with Kernow. It may be because I have an account with them and my credit card is logged on the account.

cheers,

Ged.

I also have an account with the store and just looked at my order history,  going back to April 2022.  Since then I have made fifty-one purchases with many of them being "OO" locomotives.  Surprisingly,  my purchase history was in the timeframe since the authentification legislation was enacted and now my credit card is no longer acceptable even though the same card used for all my previous purchases.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

@GWR-fanKernow don’t decide the rules on credit card payments, they use a third party processor and it will be their system.

Does your credit card company hold a mobile or email address for you?  If they don’t how can they complete a verification process.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

@GWR-fanKernow don’t decide the rules on credit card payments, they use a third party processor and it will be their system.

Does your credit card company hold a mobile or email address for you?  If they don’t how can they complete a verification process.

Yes

18 hours ago, MyRule1 said:

On a recent local history site for the Braintree area (Essex, England) it was pointed out Braintree is a common settlement name in the USA.

I believe Richmond is the commonest name for settlements, with 45 of them in the USA alone and half a dozen in Canada.