Hornby N15 Non-runner

Hi all,

I recently won a competition for the Hornby "Big Four" releases of locomotives, one of which was the Southern N15 "Joyous Gard". Of course I was very pleased to have won the competition, but sadly when testing the locos the N15 turned out to be a non-runner.

After some playing about and testing, I've narrowed the issue down to the small PCB which is in place of where the decoder used to be for these locos (it's now in the tender).

20240809_135143.jpg.1736f2f7a0d4eac3ca0033d1a598d14d.jpg

Does anyone have any experience of issues with these, or have any photos of the same model to compare the wiring? I've done some testing and it appears that there's no continuity between the pickups from the wheels and the wires leading to the motor, so I'm thinking there's a possibility this has been wired up wrong in the factory!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Sean

I have a Class 700 Drummond and a West Country "Bude" with same/similar issues.  Bude does not work at all, fresh out of the box. Unfortunately it's been sitting in said box for several years, so is now out of warranty.  The Drummond works perfectly fine on DC, but as soon as you put a decoder in it.. any decoder.. it literally tries to go both directions at the same time!  lol

• Funny 1

Issue resolved!

I hadn't thought to check the tender before, but on inspection it turns out the 21 pin DCC blanking plug was loose. Some tight wrapped electrical tape around it and she seems to be working nicely now.

20240809_161334.jpg.c9649eaf60ebf6c3c884b51e105036a7.jpg

• Like 1