The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like old machinery

KeithMacdonald

Previously, I only knew Dominic Chinea as one of those lovely people in the Repair Shop on TV. One of my favourite programmes, because they always seem like they are repairing people as well as repairing things. I'd found he has a nice YT channel as well, all about fixing old bikes and cars. I'd enjoyed him talking to Guy Black of Retrotec fame. (Retrotec being the people that are building a brand-new De Havilland Mosquito). And then I discovered his YT series on starting a new company to make new Ranalah "English Wheels". It's brilliant and beautiful. I have to confess there were some moments where I shed a tear of joy at what they are achieving.

Anyway, here's the introduction.

• Like 9

We certainly need people like him to project the importance of preserving our engineering heritage and associated skills. I’m currently reviewing his updates on YT about his project to fit a WW1 vintage aero engine in a similar period car. He has acquired an American V12 engine and is trying to source the various ancillary bits for it. Fascinating stuff.

• Like 3

On 06/08/2024 at 20:49, KeithMacdonald said:

Previously, I only knew Dominic Chinea as one of those lovely people in the Repair Shop on TV. One of my favourite programmes, because they always seem like they are repairing people as well as repairing things. I'd found he has a nice YT channel as well, all about fixing old bikes and cars. I'd enjoyed him talking to Guy Black of Retrotec fame. (Retrotec being the people that are building a brand-new De Havilland Mosquito). And then I discovered his YT series on starting a new company to make new Ranalah "English Wheels". It's brilliant and beautiful. I have to confess there were some moments where I shed a tear of joy at what they are achieving.

Anyway, here's the introduction.

I see he now is making those wheels and their bits, not too sure how many people actually will have a use for one though. I have seen them in use in the likes of the old Aston Martin works at Newport Pagnell, the body parts on my old car were made using one.

• Like 3

It's not only the machines, but the skills that have gone, when I worked building CNC machine tools in Leicestershire in the 1980's there were men who could use hand and hip scrapers and shape metal to within a tenth of a thousandth of an inch. I could use a hand scraper, but never mastered the hip one, vertical columns on boring machines had a shape on them to counteract the weight of the machine head, they just couldn't do it with a machine.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

On 06/08/2024 at 20:49, KeithMacdonald said:

(Retrotec being the people that are building a brand-new De Havilland Mosquito).

Thank you for that posting.  I wasn't aware of that project.  My father was a Navigator during WW2, mainly on Mosquitos, bombing occupied Norway from northern Scotland.  Pity he's no longer with us, he would have loved to see it.  My brother will be interested too - he spent his working life as a heilcopter pilot with the RAF, again mainly in northern Scotland.

• Like 4