Sonic Models OO LBSCR K class

Nick C

On 03/08/2024 at 13:00, Mr chapman said:

I'm not too fussed by DCC sound personally. But recently I've seen an AI Donald Trump singing a 50 cent song. It can't be that hard to piece together a steam locomotive profile surely. 

We will probably end up with TGV sounds mixed with an HST for the K class if we ask AI to do it...

Trump is easy for AI, but when you ask it to dig up historical info, it is normally miles out. In my FB feed, I often see articles written by AI about warships and steamlocos. The text being off is one thing, but - worse - photos are nearly always of some other ship (even from a different nation) for warships or some other loco from another completely different railway and time, for trains. 

(Then FB has the cheek to ask if I would like to follow these pages!!)

Edited by JSpencer

10 minutes ago, adrianmc said:

They do look good in lined good's livery - LB&SCR Billington K Class No 339 at Pulborough.

LBSCR_K_Class_Pulborough.jpg.2ef83e2f9c178bf5660f4d6d939d9574.jpg

P4 DCC Sound fitted in black with vermilion lining - constructed from a Mallard etched brass kit by Alan Ketley at least 30 year's ago.

Please don't post pictures like this. You'll have me ordering a second one.....😀😍

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Following on a previous poster sending an Email directly to Sonic Models I did the same (I was unaware you could contact them directly, nice to have the option).

I suggested having the LBSCR Black be lined rather then plain, I don't think many were ever plain black and the lined option would likely be a more popular option.  I also suggested having 337 in it's Lined Grey photolivery it carried for around 6 months, it seems odd to leave out a livery that I think many would find an attractive purchase

image.png.76147b690e4b69dd9b5a7fdf5ec58111.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

18 hours ago, Adi said:

I heard that they was another manufacturer planning on doing lbscr k class 

Does anyone know who

What is the source of the rumour please? And did they say 2 manufacturers were working on it?

I can speculate on who else might think about it but in both cases, a key southern guru would be involved and would likely persuade some other route would be a wiser choice instead....

(Unless EFE have a bunch ready for delivery tomorrow, I would have thought that Sonic would have consulted the same certain guru's as well).

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

I wonder why they aren't doing one in BR lined black?

Both BR Black versions are listed as lined in the full description

LB&SCR K Class 2-6-0 BR Black 32342 Mixed Traffic Lining Early Emblem Steam Locomotive

LB&SCR K Class 2-6-0 BR Black 32353 Mixed Traffic Lining Late Crest Steam Locomotive

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

I can speculate on who else might think about it but in both cases, a key southern guru would be involved and would likely persuade some other route would be a wiser choice instead....

(Unless EFE have a bunch ready for delivery tomorrow, I would have thought that Sonic would have consulted the same certain guru's as well

Since that guru blundered in saying who designed them, I doubt he's as involved as you suggest. If this was a South Western engine, then I agree, all would bow to his expertise.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Both BR Black versions are listed as lined in the full description

LB&SCR K Class 2-6-0 BR Black 32342 Mixed Traffic Lining Early Emblem Steam Locomotive

LB&SCR K Class 2-6-0 BR Black 32353 Mixed Traffic Lining Late Crest Steam Locomotive

There is no locomotive that fails to look smart in LNWR livery.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

As is often repeated…read the small print. I just tuned in to the Rails website and did just that. The specifications appeal,particularly the tender coupling adjustable to suit the user’s track radii.I’m in The price tag is IMHO modest.

You get quite a bit for the outlay.

I have this image in my mind,of a K hauling my rake of SR yellow banana vans. But that’s probably a rule 1 flight of fancy 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
On 04/08/2024 at 20:49, Darius43 said:

Then you have the choice of placing a preorder now with the risk of a future price increase or waiting for the price to be confirmed with the risk that all the models are then sold out on preorder.

Life’s tough in the aluminum siding business.

Cheers

Darius

If the price increased that much, then I would imagine the sell out status would revert back to in stock, and some would walk away.

2 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Are you sure? I see one mentioned as plain black.

32348 received BRITISH RAILWAYS in 'sunshine' style in April 1948 and would have been 'plain black' at that time - the other two BR locos can be taken as lined out.

Sonic Models consulted John Harvey over the liveries so they have no excuse for getting any wrong !

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

7 hours ago, JSpencer said:

What is the source of the rumour please? And did they say 2 manufacturers were working on it?

(Unless EFE have a bunch ready for delivery tomorrow, I would have thought that Sonic would have consulted the same certain guru's as well).

I heard someone say another manufacturer was at cad stage 

There was definitely another manufacturer that had the K in their sights.

Nu-cast partners have re-released their mixed media kit, and PDK is (possibly was, now) working on an etched kit. Mark Seward that took over Mallard Models stated that he won't be re-releasing their kit on the back of the announcement from Sonic. 

On 05/08/2024 at 19:39, adrianmc said:

They do look good in lined good's livery - LB&SCR Billinton K Class No 339 at Pulborough.

LBSCR_K_Class_Pulborough.jpg.2ef83e2f9c178bf5660f4d6d939d9574.jpg

P4 DCC Sound fitted in black with vermilion lining - constructed from a Mallard etched brass kit by Alan Ketley at least 30 year's ago.

This is stunning!! the double domes are a unique feature.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Unique to the Brighton, of course, but not to the K class - nor did every member carry them.

Of course. They suited some classes better than others. The B2/3's looked a bit odd, but I think the C2x's looked their best with them. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Jack P said:

There was definitely another manufacturer that had the K in their sights.

Nu-cast partners have re-released their mixed media kit, and PDK is (possibly was, now) working on an etched kit. Mark Seward that took over Mallard Models stated that he won't be re-releasing their kit on the back of the announcement from Sonic. 

This is stunning!! the double domes are a unique feature.

Although, IIRC, those examples that did get them had all reverted to a single one by the early 1930s.

On 06/08/2024 at 12:37, GreenGiraffe22 said:

I don't suppose any of the oracles on here know rough dates for the Southern liveries? If I was made of money I'd have them all, alas... 

The oracle is https://hmrs.org.uk/southern style-the-southern-railway-book.html which ought to find a place on your bookshelf .....

K Class 2-6-0 Southern Maunsell Dark Olive Green No.343    : assuming this is B343 it'll be the early standard livery ; applied roughly 1925 to 1930

K Class 2-6-0 Southern Maunsell Dark Olive Green No.2346  : AT A GUESS this is the standard 1931 scheme but it COULD be with early Bulleid lettering from 1939

K Class 2-6-0 Southern Bulleid Malachite Green No.2353       : description may be WRONG - 2353 received Bulleid lettering on unlined Maunsell green in1939-41

K Class 2-6-0 Southern Bulleid Light Olive Green No.2337      : description may be WRONG - 2337 received Bulleid lettering on unlined malachite green in 1940/1

K Class 2-6-0 Southern Bulleid War Time Black No.2352         : standard livery from1942 ( 2352 received BR number in Jan.'49 - retaining 'Southern' on the tender )

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

The oracle is https://hmrs.org.uk/southern style-the-southern-railway-book.html which ought to find a place on your bookshelf .....

A fraction of the price of any one of these models. If you can afford the model, you can afford the authoritative source of information to make a properly informed choice of which model to buy!

• Like 1