Sonic Models OO LBSCR K class

Nick C

• RMweb Premium

An excellent announcement, and one I not at all surprised about. The K felt like a logical RTR step and I had a feeling it wouldn't be long until one appeared.

Should be very popular!

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Nick C said:

Definitely another 'missing gap' for us Southern modellers!

Agreed - a very welcome announcement!

Worth sharing a link to Mike Morant's gallery to whet the appetite further...

Edited by greatcoleswoodhalt
  • Like 5

Fantastic news! And in light of their mixed traffic use, maybe more impetus for some manufacturer to finally introduce some LBSCR coaches for some World War I troop train action.

Edited by MattR
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I will say though, reading my Southern Style book I'm not sure about two of the versions. It looks to me like these two should have their numbers swapped to match those respective liveries.image.png.aaa953f406d88ac5fc1127f69135217b.png

2353 went into unlined olive just before the war, and 2337 went into unlined malachite during the early war years.

I don't know if I should contact Rails to ask if they are correct, or if that will come across as condescending or that I'm whingeing.

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Many congratulations to Sonic Models and Rails on this welcome and popular announcement!👍

Within The Results of The 00 Wishlist Poll, the class was High Polling in 2013, 2014 and 2015. It went into the Top 50 in 2016 and has stayed there since.

In 2022 - the last Poll to run before we run again around Christmas this year - the class was in overall position 13.

We wish Sonic and Rails every  success with the project.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

PS My order has already been placed.🙂

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

34 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

I will say though, reading my Southern Style book I'm not sure about two of the versions. It looks to me like these two should have their numbers swapped to match those respective liveries.image.png.aaa953f406d88ac5fc1127f69135217b.png

2353 went into unlined olive just before the war, and 2337 went into unlined malachite during the early war years.

I don't know if I should contact Rails to ask if they are correct, or if that will come across as condescending or that I'm whingeing.

Hopefully they have lots of detailed pictures as most were different from one another.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I've also been reliably informed that the LBSCR black one should be lined not unlined. Hopefully it's still early enough in the production for these livery issues to be sorted as they are easy fixes. Would be shame for what will undoubtedly be superb models to be let down by simple livery issues.

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Oooooh that was a surprise. Oooooh which to go for????

Edit: Pre order in for 32353, the "almost" Bluebell one. I would get a second LBSC livery one but have an awful lot on pre-order already (including  a Rapido E1 in LBSC colours of the preserved loco so...)

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting that its got 'Digital & Sound capability - 21-pin decoder socket with factory fitted sugarcube speaker - both located via easy access space in tender' but no factory fitted sound versions for pre order

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Interesting that its got 'Digital & Sound capability - 21-pin decoder socket with factory fitted sugarcube speaker - both located via easy access space in tender' but no factory fitted sound versions for pre order

There appears to be some hesitation to offer factory sound when no recordings can be confirmed.   I know that was the explanation with the Boosters not having a factory sound option.   Though a Booster would be a little harder to simulate than a two-cylinder Mogul.

I, for one, am very happy at this announcement.   Which livery would be the best match for a 'Booster' in green?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Equally the difference in price would not be that much than adding a sound chip yourself!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Great looking model, but now I have to find an excuse (other than rule 1!) for one to appear on my 1960s GW&GC layout! Any thoughts?

Imagine a "very special" Newhaven Boat special!!! Add a pullman car or two if you have them....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Barring any other LBSCR/SECR/LSWR stuff coming out between now and September 2025, I'm pretty sure this is where next year's birthday money is going!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

33 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Equally the difference in price would not be that much than adding a sound chip yourself!

But which sound profile to choose, seeing as there are no Ks in existence?

A U1 for instance, while southern, I would think to be a different sound as that design came from a different works/design team?  

You would hope the Sonic team could do a better job of choosing a profile than any of us modellers?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

A U1 for instance, while southern, I would think to be a different sound as that design came from a different works/design team?  

You would hope the Sonic team could do a better job of choosing a profile than any of us modellers?

H2 Atlantic maybe?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Most (but not all) of the new manufacturers have made a point of bundling the sound chip with the model and supplying at a cheaper price than if the purchaser sources and fits themselves. I'm more interested in why rather than bothered - good that it has a prefitted speaker tho

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Should be possible to get the key characteristics (whistle, brake sounds, nature of the 'chuff' etc) of a loco's sound from various sources (different existing loco's, original recordings etc) to make  believable sound project.  

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1