New terms - commercial content on RMweb

3 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

A forum member not connected to any company posting here with what the newest releases are - is that advertising?

Technically yes, although it's the company advertising, not the member.

3 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

A forum member not connected to the company but suggesting products they have used successfully and easily - is that advertising?

As has been said at least twice in this thread, no.

4 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

A forum member who is connected to a company (by way of being on their staff) but their account seems more personal rather than a "company profile" posting here what their newest releases are - is that advertising?

That's just someone trying to get around the rules and advertising.

There are lots of grey areas. I'm sorry that we haven't wheeled out something the size and complexity of the Formula 1 rulebook, but that isn't going to happen.

5 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

But what I am worried about is certain people / companies not paying a fee and thus not posting here meaning I may miss an announcement of a product that I would like to buy.

And what we are worried about is paying for RMweb. If it doesn't cover its costs, then you'll be looking for those announcements on a myriad of forums, including Facebook, X, Threads, Bluesky, Pinterest, YouTube, Reddit, Tumblr,  Twitch, Discord, and doubtless, many more.  What RMweb offers those who wish to promote a product, is a lot of people, all interested in model railways, in one place. That very tightly targeted group of people has got to have a value for any advertiser.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Another part of the process, is that we are offering more package deals to advertisers. With three magazines, World of Railways, RMweb, enewsletters and shows, it makes sense to do a one-off deal that covers everything, rather than continually being bothered when a new opportunity arises.

This is a pretty neat idea and could be a great for small/medium sized enterprises to have a complete advertising product across different medias.

However, if RM Web didn't exist, there is a multitude of groups on a single social media website that I could call upon.  On the odd chance of no replies there, then it probably doesn't exist!
Most the other sites you said aren't aimed at model railways :P

I'm also not asking for a formula 1 handbook on this, but perhaps some stuff should have been thought of and put together before announcing it is all.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

This is a pretty neat idea and could be a great for small/medium sized enterprises to have a complete advertising product across different medias.

However, if RM Web didn't exist, there is a multitude of groups on a single social media website that I could call upon.  On the odd chance of no replies there, then it probably doesn't exist!

I'm also not asking for a formula 1 handbook on this, but perhaps some stuff should have been thought of and put together before announcing it is all.

Much of what you say seems to rely on someone else, anyone even, paying for your free access and usage and if they don't do so you are content with something less good. You have others to thank for RMweb still being here.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

39 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

1 hour ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

I am completely not affected as I don't make anything worth selling :P

It was, and is being discussed with those who are affected. You, by your own admission, are not.

39 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Which is why RMweb is so valuable. It provides manufacturers of model railway products a place where they can announce, and discuss items, within a group of relevant people. That has value for both advertisers, and potential customers, but comes at a cost which someone has to pay. Since you don't think it should be those benefiting financially, who do you propose pays the bills?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:
1 hour ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

A forum member not connected to any company posting here with what the newest releases are - is that advertising?

Technically yes, although it's the company advertising, not the member.

Technically, no, as the company producing the 'new releases' has no control of the activities of the person posting in the circumstances postulated, and the person posting is merely reporting what someone else is doing.

Just now, Cwmtwrch said:

Technically, no, as the company producing the 'new releases' has no control of the activities of the person posting in the circumstances postulated, and the person posting is merely reporting what someone else is doing.

It's still an advert, who (if anyone) should be paying for it is something we have to work out.

If not, then all a company has to do, is set up a fake account, and post their announcements to avoid contributing to the costs involved in gaining them commercial benefits.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

It's still an advert, who (if anyone) should be paying for it is something we have to work out.

If not, then all a company has to do, is set up a fake account, and post their announcements to avoid contributing to the costs involved in gaining them commercial benefits.

@Sir TophamHatt asked specifically about "A forum member not connected to any company...". On that basis there is no contract between the poster and the company by definition, so the company is not responsible for what the poster does, e.g. posting about what the company has just announced on their website, and there is no financial reward from the company to the person posting.

If the company sets up a fake account that is another matter entirely and not what @Sir TophamHatt asked, as is the position when a company asks someone posting on here to post about their products, which should be labelled as such, but even then there may be issues around whether a contract exists or not.

My opinions only, and I am not a lawyer, but I spent qute a few years working in a role where I was dealing with contract wordings. No doubt you have lawyers looking at yours...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cwmtwrch said:

@Sir TophamHatt asked specifically about "A forum member not connected to any company...". On that basis there is no contract between the poster and the company by definition, so the company is not responsible for what the poster does, e.g. posting about what the company has just announced on their website, and there is no financial reward from the company to the person posting.

If the company sets up a fake account that is another matter entirely and not what @Sir TophamHatt asked, as is the position when a company asks someone posting on here to post about their products, which should be labelled as such, but even then there may be issues around whether a contract exists or not.

My opinions only, and I am not a lawyer, but I spent qute a few years working in a role where I was dealing with contract wordings. No doubt you have lawyers looking at yours...

OK, I give up. I'm trying to concentrate hard, and do some work, that actually brings in an income, and all I'm doing is dealing with people who contribute nothing, expect others to pay for their entertainment, and want to pick holes in the best practical plan we have to try to make the forum cover its costs. It may not be prefect, but it does offer a way to keep this forum free for users.

When someone has an idea for funding RMweb that isn't "subsidise it from a magazine I won't buy" then come back to me. I think I'll be waiting a long while.

In the meantime, much against what I believe in. This topic is locked.

• Friendly/supportive 13