New terms - commercial content on RMweb

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I've just been asked to agree to new site terms and I guess this is the same for everyone.

The highlighted section says:

Do not post any content or links that serve to promote or offer for sale any goods, services, transaction or commercial entity that you have any involvement with unless agreement is reached which applies from the above date. All previous arrangements are now superseded.

What does this mean in practice?

Do any of us who are selling items in the "For sale (gold member use only)" area now need to seek agreement, post 1 Aug 2024?

What about the big players? Do they need agreement to be able to talk about their products?

Thanks,

Edited by AY Mod
Title edited for better exposure
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Yes I've just had this same pop up. 

16 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

What about the big players? Do they need agreement to be able to talk about their products?

Same for us smaller suppliers - previously had it ok'd by Andy to mention my wares amongst the community.

Jo

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Do any of us who are selling items in the "For sale (gold member use only)" area now need to seek agreement, post 1 Aug 2024?

No; that's a benefit of paid membership.

1 minute ago, Steadfast said:

Yes I've just had this same pop up. 

Same for us smaller suppliers - previously had it ok'd by Andy to mention my wares amongst the community.

Jo

Any commercial activities need to be agreed with our advertising folk. Please contact sarah.jarman@warnersgroup.co.uk from Monday onwards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

If they want to publicise their products or activity themselves, yes.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

No; that's a benefit of paid membership.

Any commercial activities need to be agreed with our advertising folk. Please contact sarah.jarman@warnersgroup.co.uk from Monday onwards.

Thanks Andy.

Jo

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

If they want to publicise their products or activity themselves, yes.

Andy

Would that be for every potential post by a manufacturer or can one covering agreement be set up front.

I have a concern that those suppliers who contribute well to RMWeb might decide to keep stum in future. This would be a loss to the forum.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Would that be for every potential post by a manufacturer or can one covering agreement be set up front.

Of course they wouldn't have to ask permission for every post; there will be an agreement that they can post and promote their business and products for the duration of any agreement.

26 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

I have a concern that those suppliers who contribute well to RMWeb might decide to keep stum in future. This would be a loss to the forum.

If commercial entities wish to use the site to promote their business or products it is reasonable to expect that they support the site if they are deriving a benefit. Several already do.

You support the site with your Gold membership for whatever benefit you determined it was for you and I thank you for that. It's appropriate that the same principle is extended more widely.

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Of course they wouldn't have to ask permission for every post; there will be an agreement that they can post and promote their business and products for the duration of any agreement.

If commercial entities wish to use the site to promote their business or products it is reasonable to expect that they support the site if they are deriving a benefit. Several already do.

You support the site with your Gold membership for whatever benefit you determined it was for you and I thank you for that. It's appropriate that the same principle is extended more widely.

Are you saying that commercial entities will have to come to a financial agreement with RMweb/Warners to be able to promote their products here?

Edited by Harlequin

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Are you saying that commercial entities will have to come to a financial agreement with RMweb/Warners to be able to promote their products here?

Broadly, yes; that may be as a separate agreement regarding RMweb or as part of a package tied in with their other activities with our business.

• Informative/Useful 2

7 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Broadly, yes; that may be as a separate agreement regarding RMweb or as part of a package tied in with their other activities with our business.

This seems an incredibly poor and misguided approach, what incentive is there to pay to say you are making a model, when someone will create a thread within minutes of it being announced 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Northerngirl said:

This seems an incredibly poor and misguided approach, what incentive is there to pay to say you are making a model, when someone will create a thread within minutes of it being announced 

It's a big picture thing - ask yourself this, who should pay to keep RMweb working?

If someone is making money out of advertising here, should they not contribute a little?

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Northerngirl said:

This seems an incredibly poor and misguided approach,

Why? If a business is going to derive a benefit then they should contribute. I'm not going to ban users from talking about a company's products or services but if they are creating topics on their behalf (as opposed to discussing content), especially if there's a link then I will get annoyed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

[Cross-posted with Phil] I think I see: A company posting on RMweb is now seen as a form of advertising and so the money men at Warners have decided to charge them "advertising rates", treating the forum as if it was a print magazine to some degree.

Before the advertising men got involved RMweb was a much simpler place.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 8

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

A company posting on RMweb is now seen as a form of advertising

It is. It always has been really (otherwise why would anyone do it?) but I've taken a benevolent approach.

7 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

RMweb was a much simpler place.

Years ago it was also a lower cost service.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, DLT said:

Does this mean that I can't "mention in passing"

If you are a Gold/Premium member there is the the For Sale subforum but I wouldn't be upset if you mentioned it "in passing" in one of your own topics too.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

It's a big picture thing - ask yourself this, who should pay to keep RMweb working?

If someone is making money out of advertising here, should they not contribute a little?

Money is the bottom line, of course, but every money-making step is a step further away from RMweb's roots.

Businesses are enthusiasts too - but now some of them might keep quiet or seek ways to work around the "agreement".

Shame there isn't another way. RMweb used to be a much simpler place.

[This was an alternative version of my previous post. I tried to Hide them both while I gathered my thoughts.]

Edited by Harlequin
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I think I see: A company posting on RMweb is now seen as a form of advertising

Are you telling me this isn't an advert? 

Of course it is. That's why it's been posted on the most popular model railway forum, they want to put their product in front of the most people possible, to derive a commercial benefit (Yes, I know this is a charity model, but there have been plenty of posts for purely commercial models). Which is why Accurascale have reached an agreement with Warners as part of the larger package. Now, is it fair that they should pay and other shouldn't, but still get the same benefits?

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

We don't use this as advertising, merely informing interested people what's going on in our businesses. I have never had any sort of agreement before. How does this affect such as Tony Wright who lists items in his thread for sale from deceased modellers and the like?

This sounds on the face of it well calculated to drive us and many others away from RMweb  completely.

Michael and Judith Edge

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Money is the bottom line, of course, but every step away from a simple forum where enthusiasts simply talked to each other about the hobby is a step further away from RMweb's roots.

Money is required to run the servers, pay for the bandwidth and cover staff wages (an inevitable cost when the forum is too large for someone to run as a hobby).

If we want a forum "where enthusiasts simply talked to each other about the hobby" then someone has to pay for all of this, and the aim is to find the least painful way of doing this.

• Friendly/supportive 7

1 minute ago, Michael Edge said:

We don't use this as advertising, merely informing interested people what's going on in our businesses.

What's the difference between this and advertising?

This isn't a one size fits all job.  @AY Mod and I are well aware that there are lots of different-sized businesses out there, what works for a large company isn't appropriate for a tiny one, and are working with the company to try and refine it. The basic fact remains though, that someone has to pay for RMweb. Any ideas for that are always appreciated, but if you are going to say "Sell more advertising", go look at your local newspapers website, and see where that could lead...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• AY Mod changed the title to New terms - commercial content on RMweb
  • Administrators
3 minutes ago, Edwin_m said:

Is RMWeb now obliged to declare that specific threads contain paid content, much as YouTube does with videos?  

It will be self evident if a business posts a topic which is about their products or services; a bit like Ford posting a advert video on Youtube - they don't have to say it includes paid content does it?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

@AY Mod @Phil Parker You keep responding to posts that I've tried to Hide while I have second thoughts about them!

I don't have solutions to the thorny problems - but I hope you guys know what you're doing and most importantly keep the open community of enthusiasts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1