Model Railway Companion

Not Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Coming soon from Wild Swan, "Model Railway Companion" from the imaginatively irrepressible James Hilton.

CompanionCovercropped1.jpg.3a28325e38f6bf8606e2ba7b18c35f03.jpg

Produced in limited numbers only, this is an indulgent and extravagant collection of images of model railways, each accompanied by thoughts on the models from their creators.

As you'd expect, there is a fair amount from James himself, to "get the ball rolling", but he has also included stunning work from some really outstanding and interesting individuals, some of whose names you will definitely recognise, others possibly not.

James and I are really interested to see how this goes, some might write it off as pretentious cobblers, others will think the track plans don't give enough detail, (or worse still aren't even there) and fans of Brian Monaghan style helicopter shots will absolutely hate it! And yet......

80 pages of space and inspiration, all colour, uniform with his earlier books and all for the piffling price of £14.50, just under three pints at the "Larkhall Inn" - how about that?

Being printed now and out in a few weeks time - you're going to absolutely love it, or not.......

Simon

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

One point in its. favour (that comment will no doubt start a riot?) is that it seems to have gone beyond our shores in search of goodies.  does it by any chance include any US outline work by a certain gentleman from Scandinavia (Sweden I think)?  If so it'll be worth just for the pics of his work

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

James and I are really interested to see how this goes, some might write it off as pretentious cobblers, others will think the track plans don't give enough detail, (or worse still aren't even there) and fans of Brian Monaghan style helicopter shots will absolutely hate it! And yet......

You are Gerald Ratner and I claim my £10!

Mike.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

It will be up on the Titfield website for ordering from around the Globe as soon as I have a firm date for delivery - I'm estimating three weeks time.

The print run isn't that limited.....

Thank you for all your interest!

I'm demonstrating at RailWells over the weekend and will bring the printed proof with me - if I'm not arrested I'll let you see it....

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have just been advised that delivery of James "Companion" from the printers will take place early next week and will put the book up on my website in the next day or so.

Simon.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

James Model Railway Companion has now arrived and has come out very well. Supplies are already on their way to Bill Hudson Books, who are attending Expo EM this coming weekend at Shipley and will have copies for sale there.

In the meantime my take on it is here, copies can now be ordered from my website through the link.

Early signs are promising sales-wise, I showed the proof to several visitors at RailWells a couple of weeks ago, all of whom wanted to buy a copy....

Simon

Edited by Not Jeremy
more colour
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

My copies have arrived in the post today but as I’m all hot and sticky after cutting the hedge I will leave the ‘look through’ video until next week. I’ve already had lovely messages from a few regulars about it, I will be intrigued to see its wider reception - and if it’s something to repeat, perhaps on an annual basis!

As promised, I've done a bit of a quick 'talk through' the intention, design and contents of this latest work - hopefully it gives you all a better idea of what to expect, and is like the sort of 'quick flick through' you do when stood at a book stall at an exhibition or in a book shop...

Thanks to all of you who have already bought a copy - Simon tells me it is selling strongly, which is great news! I look forward to hearing what people think - and more importantly, if we should do another in the future!

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It has been lovely to receive such warm messages and kind reviews of this latest work - thank you.

I rather presumptively dropped off a copy with the Railnuts team and Pete Waterman today in Chester Cathedral - and it was nice to see some of the team enjoying it during moments away from operating the layout (or in Pete’s case, building the tower block of flats). 

I hear from Simon it is selling well - which is great news and encouraging for me, I shall start to ponder doing another one next year!

Edited by James Hilton
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Another wonderful offering from the fruitful partnership between @James Hilton and Wild Swan ( @Not Jeremy ) and a fitting follow on from the first two books.  The title of this one: “Model Railway Companion” gives a perfect description of the aim and approach of the book - and even though I’ve been busily downsizing there’s most definitely room for this on the bookshelf.  Truly a must have in my view, Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1