Where to start

Bluehiace

Hi 

I am looking for some advice I have a small LGB garden layout with 4 locos I have been checking web sites and am still confused What I would like to do is eventually having all 4 locos on the track and be able so select  which 2 of the 4  to run using remote control, Do i  need a hand set for each loco or is there a controller that can can do this. I want to start off small with one loco and convert the rest has funds allow  I would like forward backward speed control and one function to turn on sound

Any advice on what I need and whether it can be done would be most helpful

Lester

Do you want full battery-radio control, or are you still using the track for power ?  

If using track power, what will "radio" give you that DCC won't ?   There being wireless DCC handsets, so you can walk around and control the trains from anywhere.   DCC works well with LGB , there are numerous suppliers of decoders, and systems which work with extensive garden railway setups.  

If looking for battery, the suggest Micron Radio Control, and asking them to advise on a package (transmitter, receiver, batteries, battery charger, etc.) to get you going with the locos you have.    Micron make several transmitters which are "train oriented" with knobs to work things, or you can use a model aircraft style "two sticks" controller.  Should be able to have one transmitter to control all.      

https://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/index.html

• Agree 1

The key requirement as I see it is that the train does not stop when it loses the radio signal, generally R/C is arranged to fail safe as you want  planes to circle and cars to stop when you lose line of sight but a train stopping in a tunnel is a darned nuisance.   Track power is OK with LGB as they generally use plunger pickups but even so Battery avoids a huge heap of hassle and wiring and Power supplies...

I think the Deltang Rx41 receivers are no longer available. Anyway for a large scale loco Micron Radio Control have their MR603 receiver which is 5V to 20V and delivers up to 3A. I use one on a section of my layout to provide track power for a loco which is just too small for a receiver installation. It has output over voltage protection so no worry about short circuiting the rails. Micron tested it by shorting out the motor terminals. I must write it up sometime. The Micron receivers have options for handling signal loss. IIRC the default is carry on.

I've got the MR601 in both Road and rail, and a very versatile receiver it is too! It will be excellent when we get a multiple ESC receiver to replace the Rx 43.