Surprised no ones mentioned it yet 

Show details

Railwells 2024 including Scalefour Southwest

Organised by the Wells Railway Fraternity
The Town Hall,
Market Place,
Wells,
Somerset BA5 2RB

Please note for show parking follow the Railwells parking signs as you enter the centre of Wells, Somerset.

Saturday 3rd August, 10.30 to 5.00
Sunday 4th August, 10.00 to 4.00
Admission Adults £10.00
Accompanied Child (14 and under) Free
Wheelchair-bound Free
Children up to 17yrs £5.00

For further and up-to-date information – Organiser Chris Challis 01308 897539.

Railwells 2024 Including Scalefour Southwest and special sections for The EM gauge Society and The 2mm Association

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

RailwellsPosterA42024.jpg.fcc0cb30746eee46529ce47b9e7f9157.jpg

I'll be bringing the train set - as pictured on the exhibition poster. The team are looking forward to it.

Edited by adrianmc
  • Like 4

Details of Railwells 2024

Layouts
Demonstrations
Traders
Displays

Download Railwells 2023 Guide here

Parking for both Saturday and Sunday will be available in Palace Fields Charge £4 all day. To find this location just follow the Railwells Parking signs.

Railwells 2024 including Scalefour Southwest
Organised by the Wells Railway Fraternity
The Town Hall,
Market Place,
Wells,
Somerset BA5 2RB

Please note for show parking follow the Railwells parking signs as you enter the centre of Wells, Somerset.

Saturday 3rd August, 10.30 to 5.00
Sunday 4th August, 10.00 to 4.00
Admission Adults £10.00
Accompanied Child (14 and under) Free
Wheelchair-bound Free
Children up to 17yrs £5.00
For further and up-to-date information – Organiser Chris Challis 01308 897539.

Railwells 2024 Including Scalefour Southwest and special sections for The EM gauge Society and The 2mm Association

The Scalefour, EM Gauge and 2mm society membership secretary will be in attendance over the weekend for any questions you might have.

Railwells Poster 2024

Updated 25.10.2023

Layouts

2024 Layout list

P4 Cheddar
Andrew Ullyott
This station opened in 1869 for the part built Cheddar Valley Line

P4 Leysdown
Adrin Colenutt
The Sheppey Light Railway in the early 1930s

P4 Elcot Road
Terry and Simon Bendall
Modern Image Layout

P4 Wells Tucker Street Goods
Chris Challis
The terminus of the Cheddar Valley Line opened in 1870

S4 Buntingham
Susan Stoodley
Built by by Susan’s dad Ray Hammond to the exact scale of 4mm to the foot

PZ Zobland
Brian Harrup
Proto Z on an ironing board

Og Stodmarsh
Kevin Cartwright
Showing what can happen in the lead up to D-Day with Dads Army on hand

S Scale Blakey Rigg
Paul Green
The NER Rosedale branch on the North Yorkshire Moors

EM Dinas Mawddwy
Andy Cundick
The Mawddwy Railway Merionethshire operated by the Cambrian Railway in 1913

2mm Burnham on Sea
John Perritt
Originally built by Denis Brownly this station was the last station on the Bristol Channel by the Somerset and Dorset Railway

OO Lamsdown
Rob Gunstone>
A fictitious light railway in Kent now operated by the SE&CR pre WW1

2mm Pit Hill
Mick Simpson
A self acting incline built by the late Iain Rice and Mick Simpson

Ng Moors View
Paul Holwill
Modern image snow scene

3/4mm to the Foot, 3.53 mm gauge Sefton Park
Roger Orpwood
The Locos are so small there are no motors in them, the layout is worked by magic.

4mm Slades Green display
Maurice Still
A London Underground display, you see the station by looking in either end

Layout list updated 19.06.2024

Traders

Bill Hudson Transport Books

C&L Finescale Track

Scalefour Society Stores

Dart Castings with Monty’s figures and MJT

Taff Vale Models

Branchlines

Railway Children’s Charity book sales

Wells Railway Fraternity Book Sales, in aid of The Railway Children Charity

Attwood Aggregates attwood.aggregates@yahoo.com phone 07740381999

Roxey Mouldings

Peco

Somerset & Dorset Railway Trust

Aspire Gfts and Models

Old Moorwood. Run By Steve Ehrlicher selling railway books, photos, ephemera and artifacts, in aid of Vintage Coach restoration at East Somerset Rly, Cranmore.

Blacksmith Models

Model Stock (ABS) A new name for ABS 4mm kits

The nearest cash machine is at Santander Bank in Market Place on the far side of the Town Square

Refreshments The Wookey Hub, Food all day

Updated 19.06.2024

Demonstrations

Modelling in EM
Andrew Ullyott

How to solder
Roger Sawyer

Track construction and working in S7
The Scale 7 group

2mm Association Roadshow
Paula Martin

Kit and scratch built wagons in 4mm
John Chambers

Starting in P4
Gavin Clarke

Modelling in Gauge 1
Simon Castens

3D Printing
David Burnett

Updated 19.06.2024

Please note that all details of exhibitors and traders are tentative and should be confirmed prior to the date.

‘Getting to Railwells/Scalefour Southwest by public transport

There is now a bus service to Wells from Bristol. The bus is the Mendip Xplorer service 376, marked from Bristol to Wells, Glastonbury and Street. For those travelling by train, the bus stop at Bristol Temple Meads is at the bottom of the station approach on the right. In Wells, the bus stops at ‘The former HSBC bank building at the end of Sadler Street 150 yards from the Town Hall. It is best to go to the Wells bus station or ask at the exhibition ticket office for the return journey.

An up-to-date timetable can be found on the www.firstbus.co.uk website, choosing ‘Timetables’ from the menu, ‘Bristol, Bath and the West’, and then ‘376’ for the required route and choosing ‘Find Timetables’.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately the Railwells website, from which Gordon A has copied the above information, is I believe out of date there having been several changes in exhibitors.

For example there has been some layout changes - Rob withdrew Lambsdown from the show back in early June and the space has now been filled by the East Somerset Modeller's bringing along Iain Rice's P4 layout Trerice.

Also I don't think that Terry & Simon Bendall are exhibiting their P4 layout Elcot Road.

The show guide can now be downloaded - Railwells 2024 Guide

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I am making my own small contribution down in the nether regions of the Town Hall, with my stuttering progress on "project Watersmeet" and also remembering the late Andrew Pullen of "Aster" fame, who made it all possible.

Bigtrain.jpg.572af07a663772c38a701f385b72e491.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
On 28/07/2024 at 19:21, woodenhead said:

Are you just getting in early?

Got my dates mixed up 😩 Have a good show this weekend!

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mullie said:

Does the signposted parking need cash or can it be done by card/app please? If an app, which one?

Martyn

We paid by cash. I don't think that the farmer does do it by card. 

Great show as usual.

Edited by Re6/6
missing word!
  • Thanks 1

Defiantly cash only for the signposted car park, it’s just the land owner sat on a deckchairor his car by the field gate it’s in a field not a proper tarmac car park, for that and payment by card you will have to find a space in one of the many of the city’s car park, it might not be so bad for spaces on Sundays just don’t hold your breath Wells is a popular tourist city,

• Agree 1

On 01/08/2024 at 18:57, Not Jeremy said:

I am making my own small contribution down in the nether regions of the Town Hall, with my stuttering progress on "project Watersmeet" and also remembering the late Andrew Pullen of "Aster" fame, who made it all possible.

Bigtrain.jpg.572af07a663772c38a701f385b72e491.jpg

I am glad you got your motion eased, I feel that way myself quite often these days,

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
Spelling
  • Funny 3

I spent a very enjoyable day at Wells on one of the Society stands. Coming home slightly hoarse, and with sore feet, suggests that it was a good day, although the opportunity to actually look at the layouts was a bit limited.

Blakey Rigg was just across the gangway.

DSC05000.JPG.125b0d13519a43491da48beb3963ab2d.JPG

Leysdown 

DSC05005a.JPG.a620c011d646a8a5e43942caf812649d.JPG

Even on a hot day, Moorview sends a chill!

DSC05003a.JPG.af5c7b83d9476ff32e3ecdb115c65a4a.JPG

Cheddar on its initial outing.

DSC05006a.JPG.66a7a3db76f6956df970775c76271d9e.JPGAs always, Wells is one of those shows that you really should not miss.

Best wishes 

Eric  

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, adrianmc said:

The Leysdown team had a really great weekend, thanks Chris for inviting us.

Leysdown_Railwells_2024.jpg.6913d394bd62287f3bcb34734033eb9e.jpg

And you were lucky enough to be placed in one of the cooler spots in that building in August!

What was the overall ambient feel inside over the weekend? It can get far too hot in there, especially some rooms.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Captain Kernow said:

And you were lucky enough to be placed in one of the cooler spots in that building in August!

What was the overall ambient feel inside over the weekend? It can get far too hot in there, especially some rooms.

Standing next to Moorview is quite a good way to feel cooler........

Best wishes 

Eric  

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Another splendid weekend in Wells, with Railwells as the centrepiece. As always the show was enjoyable, with a nice variety of layouts,

and not quite as stuffy as it's been in some recent years. If I might be permitted a few minor grumbles, it was a shame that there

was no trader supplying general modelling materials, as there has been in the past. I presume this is down to the demise of Eileen's

Emporium, but in the absence of an alternative, it left a big hole in the show and meant I wasn't able to stock up on the usual bits

and pieces (paint, solder, wire etc) one associates with a show at the finescale end of the spectrum. Secondly, without naming

names one or two of the layouts were not running at their presumed best. One one layout, which nonetheless looked  beautiful, and has the potential to be a real showstopper, I didn't see a single movement on either of the days I attended  that didn't involve a derailment and/or a loco needing to be pushed. I also felt that there were perhaps one two many "work in progress" layouts, which was also the case last year.

On a more positive note, a few of the older layouts there, despite being well-on in years, were working really well. Thanks to all involved and hope this minor whinge will be taken in the spirit intended, and I plan to continue to support Railwells as long as it continues.

Edited by Barry Ten
formatting
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Another splendid weekend in Wells, with Railwells as the centrepiece. As always the show was enjoyable, with a nice variety of layouts,

and not quite as stuffy as it's been in some recent years. If I might be permitted a few minor grumbles, it was a shame that there

was no trader supplying general modelling materials, as there has been in the past. I presume this is down to the demise of Eileen's

Emporium, but in the absence of an alternative, it left a big hole in the show and meant I wasn't able to stock up on the usual bits

and pieces (paint, solder, wire etc) one associates with a show at the finescale end of the spectrum. Secondly, without naming

names one or two of the layouts were not running at their presumed best. One one layout, which nonetheless looked  beautiful, and has the potential to be a real showstopper, I didn't see a single movement on either of the days I attended  that didn't involve a derailment and/or a loco needing to be pushed. I also felt that there were perhaps one two many "work in progress" layouts, which was also the case last year.

On a more positive note, a few of the older layouts there, despite being well-on in years, were working really well. Thanks to all involved and hope this minor whinge will be taken in the spirit intended, and I plan to continue to support Railwells as long as it continues.

As the owner of Cheddar, I presume some of the above applies to my layout and I can only apologise for its sporadic running. It was only ever meant to be there as a work in progress. My impending wedding in 2 weeks meant i was undercooked heading into the show and I didn’t have time to fully test the fiddle yards which caused no end of bother. I can assure you we were all very frustrated especially with items of stock and the main crossover which hitherto had not caused problems when they decided to play up all weekend. The layout won’t be going out again until it’s finished and I am happy with it. At the moment I’m not!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ullypug said:

As the owner of Cheddar, I presume some of the above applies to my layout and I can only apologise for its sporadic running. It was only ever meant to be there as a work in progress. My impending wedding in 2 weeks meant i was undercooked heading into the show and I didn’t have time to fully test the fiddle yards which caused no end of bother. I can assure you we were all very frustrated especially with items of stock and the main crossover which hitherto had not caused problems when they decided to play up all weekend. The layout won’t be going out again until it’s finished and I am happy with it. At the moment I’m not!

Thanks, Andrew. It may just have been sod's law that I was there when the running wasn't great. As a concept the layout is fantastic and it's obvious

that the structures and scenery are absolutely top-notch. I very much look forward to seeing it when you're happy with the end result, as I think it will be a wonderful evocation of the prototype.

• Like 1