GWR 019 Open C "Tube" wagon for 00 Gauge!

I am so glad that Rapido has decided to do the Open C, finally modellers will be able to get their hands on an RTR model which had only been available in kit form, even then the Ratio kits haven't been available for decades, other than for the occasional one that turns up on Ebay at an extortinate price.

Edited by David Stannard
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Why the wrong line running in the video?

Seriously, I don't think I need any more GWR wagons for a GER branch line, but were these O19 wagons ever in the common pool in pre-grouping days, or were they always non-common user (I note that one of those in post-1921 livery is so marked)?  Is it fair to assume that of the three in pre-1921 lettering, the lowest numbered example would be the oldest?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Many congratulations to Rapido on another very interesting item of freight rolling stock.👍

Sadly, we didn't have room to list this vehicle in The 00 Wishlist Poll 2022 as the Pre-Grouping Freight category was full to the brim. (We did, however, list the LMS/LNER/BR Tube Wagons in the Freight 1923-1947 category and those came in High Polling - hint, hint to Rapido!🙂)

We wish Rapido every success with the wagons.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

I'm not too sure about that livery.  Needs just a touch more black in that grey.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 7

57 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

Why the wrong line running in the video?

As it's a test track rather than a scenic layout the inner line is DC with the outer line being DCC. We filmed a lot of different products on that day and felt having a bit of variety by running some of it in a different directions was useful to stop the videos looking to similar.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Grrr, you're about a year too late on this one.  I've got 2 Ratio kits with brass underframes to build otherwise I would have leapt on these. 🙁

Looks very very nice, I hope they do well.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Not that I'm complaining, but if the GWR/DCIII braked examples sell well, do you think we might hope for a BR built lever braked dia1/446 in future?, I've got all the Ratio DCIII examples I need.

Mike.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Not that I'm complaining, but if the GWR/DCIII braked examples sell well, do you think we might hope for a BR built lever braked dia1/446 in future?, I've got all the Ratio DCIII examples I need.

Mike.

You do realise they were a completely different wagon, 5ft longer. 

The cable drum electrification were an interesting modification https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrtube/e2b9ba4cf

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

You do realise they were a completely different wagon, 5ft longer. 

The cable drum electrification were an interesting modification https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrtube/e2b9ba4cf

Paul

Yes Paul, hence saying hope as it is not a simple-ish underframe tweak.

Mike.

• Like 1

Fantastic.  These look even beeter than the 16' opens.  Will they have NCU plates painted on?  Which GWR livery ones have got the sackdoor?  It's difficult to see on the dark liveries.

Edited by Penrhos1920
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Penrhos1920 said:

Which GWR livery ones have got the sackdoor?  It's difficult to see on the dark liveries.

O8, O16 and O19 were built with flat doors.

O28, O34 and (longer) O41 were built with sackdoors.

Will

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, WillCav said:

O8, O16 and O19 were built with flat doors.

O28, O34 and (longer) O41 were built with sackdoors.

Will

Reading the blurb on Rails website Rapido appear to be making an O19 with sackdoors. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, RapidoCorbs said:

It should say on the product description which have which. AFAIK the sack truck doors on the O19s were a modification.

Some of the models are of those in preservation for which there are a variety of doors.

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/gwr-dia-o19-open-c/

Example below:

Screenshot2024-07-27at17_40_46.png.499064454e2067b8e747f463e8eff9e6.png

Which is the case with the doors on the preserved examples 99965 at the SVR and Didcot's 94835

IMG_0353 - GWR O19 'Open C' Open Wagon 99965

IMG_2334 - GWR O19 'Open C' Open Wagon 94835

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

That firebox is massive in comparison to the boiler in the first photo!

One of the two boilers in my photo of 99965 is a spare inner firebox for LMR 'Austerity' 2-10-0 'Gordon'. As long I have been taking photos of 99965, it's always been in the wagon. The other one I would say was for a narrow gauge loco but which I cannot say which. @Blandford1969 would you know at all?

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thank heavens for that, it’s been simply days since Rapido announced a new GW wagon and staked a claim to my pocket money.

A mental note has been made to start pilfering drinking straws on my visits to Costa Coffee.

Now, is it indecently soon to start speculating if / what other bodies would fit that chassis?

Pete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Star-rider said:

A mental note has been made to start pilfering drinking straws on my visits to Costa Coffee.

If you can afford to drink in that establishment you can afford the better products for loads from Evergreen and Plastruct.😉🤣

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5