Standard 4MT Tank

south_tyne

Hi folks. 

I'm after a bit of advice if possible.... 

I'm potentially on the lookout for a Standard 4MT. As a newbie I've been trying to find out a bit more about the Farish model. It looks like they haven't been produced for a while. Doing some digging the design seemed to be retooled from the original Poole version, and was upgraded and produced a DCC chip. However, it seems it's never made it to the next gen 18 pin stage, and Farish haven't done a run for a number of years...

In looking for a secondhand one, are the latest ones those produced in about 2012/13 with a 6 pin socket? Do they still stand up to scrutiny, in terms of looks and performance , or is it looking tired? 

Many thanks for any input 🙂 

The most recent ones were a complete retool and owe nothing to the earlier Poole model. They are highly detailed and have a modern coreless motor chassis, spokes all see through etc, they certainly stand up to scrutiny even today. There has so far only been one production batch made and that only two livery variants BR black - both early and late crests so just 2000 models (I have both, one converted to DCC sound for me). It was tooled to include a tablet catcher in a cab-side recess as per Scottish versions, but so far that hasn't been taken advantage of as none have been made with it.

The DCC socket was 6 pin, and unless it were to be upgraded to sound I doubt that would change were another run to be produced. This is evidenced by the soon to be released (November) re-run of the very similar Fairburn retaining the 6 pin socket. In truth, with no auxiliary functions I think 6 pin is fine for such locos personally.

Roy

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Roy, that's really helpful. I only do DC, so the DCC stuff is a little superfluous to me, but it does help to identify the newest models as a newbie to N Gauge.

It's pleasing to hear that they are a good model. The Standard 4 tanks are one of my favorite locos, so I'm eager to get one. I'm keeping me eyes peeled on a certain online auction site.... 

My N Gauge journey is just beginning, but I now have a Class 31 to play with. I'm eager to add a Standard 4MT tank and a Standard 2MT 'Mickey Mouse' to complete what I need for a proposed little layout. It's good the latter are still available new. Potentially a 101 DMU too. But three locos should suffice to be honest. 

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

You're a gent 👍🏽 

On 25/07/2024 at 14:40, Roy L S said:

The DCC socket was 6 pin, and unless it were to be upgraded to sound I doubt that would change were another run to be produced. This is evidenced by the soon to be released (November) re-run of the very similar Fairburn retaining the 6 pin socket. In truth, with no auxiliary functions I think 6 pin is fine for such locos personally.

Don't be surprised if it does get upgraded. No one knew the Ivatt 2MT was getting sound nor the 08 shunter. Bachmann do all their development behind closed doors now, I reckon the Fairburn and the BR Standard 4MT would have room for a speaker so its possible a new run will see this added but we won't know for sure until the November (or February announcement if they slip back)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ed-farms said:

Don't be surprised if it does get upgraded. No one knew the Ivatt 2MT was getting sound nor the 08 shunter. Bachmann do all their development behind closed doors now, I reckon the Fairburn and the BR Standard 4MT would have room for a speaker so its possible a new run will see this added but we won't know for sure until the November (or February announcement if they slip back)

I can tell you with some certainty that the upcoming re-run of the Fairburn (due for release around November) does not have a Next 18 socket or speaker because I asked that very question of someone on the Bachmann at a show late last year (can't now recall if the N Gauge Show or Warley).

There definitely is room for a sound chip/speaker in the cab/bunker area of rthe 4MT Tank with only a little modification as I had one converted a few years back, I would think it even easier these days with sound chips getting smaller.

Roy

• Like 1

On 26/07/2024 at 20:59, Roy L S said:

I can tell you with some certainty that the upcoming re-run of the Fairburn (due for release around November) does not have a Next 18 socket or speaker because I asked that very question of someone on the Bachmann at a show late last year (can't now recall if the N Gauge Show or Warley).

There definitely is room for a sound chip/speaker in the cab/bunker area of rthe 4MT Tank with only a little modification as I had one converted a few years back, I would think it even easier these days with sound chips getting smaller.

Roy

To be fair if you had asked the same question of the 08, 47 or Ivatt 2MT prior to the quarterly announcement I bet you would have gotten the same answer for them, and a new LNER V2 would also have been given the standard "we will put it to the planning team" response. They won't say what they are doing, not saying the Fairburn will have an 18pin and sound, just saying Bachmann keep things close to their chest and won't divulge it until they are ready.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ed-farms said:

To be fair if you had asked the same question of the 08, 47 or Ivatt 2MT prior to the quarterly announcement I bet you would have gotten the same answer for them, and a new LNER V2 would also have been given the standard "we will put it to the planning team" response. They won't say what they are doing, not saying the Fairburn will have an 18pin and sound, just saying Bachmann keep things close to their chest and won't divulge it until they are ready.

The difference is that the Fairburn, along with the J39, are the last of the "old" releases that have been known about for a long time and were revealed before the change to Quarterly announcements (and things not being known about until practically "on the boat") and the rep was explicit, there would be no upgrade to the Fairburn and DCC would be 6 pin.

However that being said, having checked the Bachmann website today, the Fairburn is no longer showing as expected in November, the delivery status is back to "awaiting" which typically means a much longer wait and no estimated delivery date known. This could mean anything or nothing has changed and simply be unforeseen production problems, but I am not now inclined to be quite so confident of what I was told last year any more.

Roy

Edited by Roy L S
grammar
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Roy L S said:

The difference is that the Fairburn, along with the J39, are the last of the "old" releases that have been known about for a long time and were revealed before the change to Quarterly announcements (and things not being known about until practically "on the boat") and the rep was explicit, there would be no upgrade to the Fairburn and DCC would be 6 pin.

The Crewe Cut 47 was a previous announcement - originally it was going to be 1 of the 3 with sound (Colas I Think?) with the Virgin and RES on 6 pin chassis, but they "dropped" the sound version to get it back on course regarding release, obviously they added the sound back behind clsoed doors.

Ultimately anything is possible from Farish now, we just have to wait and see what is in the video when it drops