Mainline Manor

Hi  all

I have been servicing a Mainline GWR Manor.  Everything is fine but I have found a mangled spring that pushes on the centre axle.  Does anybody know if these are available as spares?  Are they really needed?  What size are they and can they be found elsewhere.

Many thanks

Paul

It is a very long time since Mainline locos were last made. That said I think most Mainline locos used these springs, I suspect they were bronze.    From memory the Mainline chassis has two springs one in each chassis half which press the center axle down for better power pick up, at least in theory. The  Bachmann Manor is different and has larger axle journals, and drive on the middle axle not rear, they don't have traction tyres on the rear axle or springs and have square axle ends.    The Mainline motors are hopeless and the wheels lose quartering, while the Bachmann has a nice drive train and the wheels fall off.  My Mainline Manor (now retired) had Romford wheels fitted and a Hornby Powered Tender fitted which cured the quartering issues,  My Bachmann Manor has extra pickups fitted between chassis and wheel backs which stopped wheels falling off.
I really think fettling a Mainline Manor chassis is a waste of effort
My latest Manor has a Hornby Hall Chassis with Hornby 2-6-4 T wheels, but really the current RTR offerings are in a different league from Mainline so funds permitting I would park it on a siding and get a decent one.

Edited by DCB

• RMweb Gold

The Mainline Manor was one of the best RTR models of it's day, which shows how far we've come.  The Mainline concept of split-chassis current collection was sound enough, but was sadly part of an overall package which featured poorly chosen materials for the gears & split axles and a pathetically weak pancake motor that had to run at high rpm and be geared down through a train of inefficient spur gears to produce sufficient power to be useful, and even then pickup was compromised by a traction tyre.  It could be worked up to be reasonably comparable to a current model, and tender-driven, but this would be little saving of cash and a lot of effort compared to just looking for a discount on a current model.  As a static siding queen, it would be visible all the time and hence it's shortcomings would be even more highlighted.  It might be ok inside a poorly lit shed.  This is a comment I never thought I would be making when I bought my new Mainline Manor all those years ago.

It might be worth investigating the early Bachmann 43xx split chassis, which is derived from the Mainline model but tooled to take a can motor and worm/cog drive.  I have a 2h one of these under a worked up Airfix-derivate Hornby 5101 body, and it is a lovely runner and very quiet.  The light loads on Cwmdimbath mean that with careful driving I should get some service life out of it.  I am not sure that it will fit in the Manor firebox without some hackery, though; IIRC the 43xx had an enlarged firebox to provide clearance for the motor.  These retooled Bachmann 43xx can be had for around £40 on the 'Bay of E, good value for a workup project!

• Informative/Useful 1

The Bachmann Manor chassis is essentially the same as the  Bachmann 43XX chassis except for the longer con rods and bogie at the front. I'm pretty sure the Mainline body is a direct fit on the Bachmann chassis which is an easier option than adapting a 43XX.

35 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

It might be worth investigating the early Bachmann 43xx split chassis, which is derived from the Mainline model but tooled to take a can motor and worm/cog drive.  I have a 2h one of these under a worked up Airfix-derivate Hornby 5101 body, and it is a lovely runner and very quiet. 

The Bachmann 43XX chassis under a 5101 is interesting, something I have planned myself as the Bachmann is a lovely smooth runner while the wheels stay on, Strangely the 43XX seems better than the Manor wheel retention wise, but gutless for my 20 Hornby Dublo wagon freight drags.

The Airfix 61XX is dire, I have a feeble 2010 era Hornby 51XX and an older one "Limping Lulu" with a wonky middle wheel , but a pair of Triang Hall chassis, 5 pole Romford wheeled 61/81XX prairies from Wills and Farish have been my go to bankers for 40 years.  They pull well over 30 Hornby dublo wagons, and push 20 up a 1 in 30 .  What my plan is is to nick the Bachmann chassis from my 93XX, fit a Triang based chassis and a load of lead to get some grunt, as per my Mainline bodied triang 43XX and put the Bachmann chassis under a Hornby 51XX principally as a passenger loco but with a lot more ballast.   I have a K;s 43XX which runs beautifully with its huge cab filling flywheel, a Dapol one, feeble and needed reprofiled wheels to remain on the track.
It must be 40 years ago I put Romford wheels on Triang Hall chassis for my original Mainline 43XX and Manor, it was when only unlined green livery was available for the Manor so I sprayed it and lined it with PC lining.  Both are still on the layout and in service hauling trains,   Several Bachmann versions have appeared and died / had replacement Bachmann chassis in that time. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Paul4017 said:

Thanks for your comments guys.   Everything you have said is very interesting but I am looking to source these springs if possible. 

Bearing in mind the company went bust about 40 years ago, you might be surprised that spare springs are gonna be a bit like rocking horse doo doo. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1