Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Sir Kenneth Grange

• RMweb Gold

That's a shame, but a good age.

I met him in unusual circumstances, where he came across as a really nice person, not afraid to talk about his work and proud of it, but still humble.

A national treasure. There will be other memorials,  but having the preserved HST power car with his name is a fitting tribute.

• Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I met him and had a brief chat at the NRM the same day I got passed out on HSTs with colas to drive the NMT 

Got a signed postcard framed in my layout room 

2 Sir Kenneth Granges'

• Like 15

There is a really good obituary on the Wallpaper site. Reading it makes you realise the huge range of things that he designed and how hands on he was.

https://www.wallpaper.com/design-interiors/we-remember-kenneth-grange-the-british-industrial-designer-who-has-died-aged-95

His largest project in scale and possibly reach was the much-loved, long-serving Intercity 125 for British Rail. In the case of the latter, unimaginably by today’s silo-ed design practices, Grange worked on the aerodynamic form, the exterior and the interior simultaneously. When the Intercity 125 went into service it was hailed as saving Britain’s railways, and was fondly referred to as ‘the journey shrinker’.

It is interesting to me, because I've read a lot of Haresnape on railway design written pre-HST and in many ways the HST can be seen as the high point of railway design and the work done on trying to improve railway design. As I travel on a 450, IET, 374 or 390, I don't really ever get a sense that they have been designed to be 'nice' to travel in, more how can we cram as many people in as cheaply as possible while conforming to safety legislation.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Today I visited the NRM, and noticed that the museum had placed a wreath and plaque commemorating Sir Kenneth on the HST power car, which I thought was a nice touch.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1