YaMoRC YD8116 and UK Signals

RFS

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Has anyone experience of using this to configure UK colour light signals? I have an Absolute Aspects 3-aspect signal with junction indicator that I have had working OK but with latching relays operated by 2 ports of a Lenz LS150.  Now looking to use something more sophisticated and also to add addtional signals. The AA signal works OK with my method, but I cannot get it to even light up with the YD8116.

I've also bought the YD9100 configurator to connect it to the PC via USB. When I define the signal I get this panel up which leaves me totally at a loss. I've asked YaMoRC but have been referred instead to James at DCC TRain Automation, but I didn't buy the YD8116 from there.

UK3-AspectJunction.png.fef9a183579220b6c30c8741356d8fad.png

Edited by RFS

AFAIK what this is showing are the connections that you need to make from the 8116 to your lamps.

Output #1 is for the Red danger aspect - DCC Address #51 red

Output #2 is for the green clear aspect - DCC Address #51 green

Output #3 is for the yellow warning aspect - DCC Address 52 red

Output #4 is for the feather - DCC Address 52 green

The common positive should go back to the + connection between  outputs #1 & #2

The aspects are for using with a controller (e.g. Z21) or program (e.g. iTrain) that supports DCCExt and save a huge amount of complexity as they only use one DCC address and they don't need the Matrix created above. Unfortunately I use DCCExt for signals and am going by what used to be done for these sort of decoders

Edited by WIMorrison

Is the signal common positive or common negative. Is the 8116 common what? 

I have the 8116 on my layout but cannot remember if the output is configurable for common + or -  

At the moment I am using them for ground switching for Dapol semaphore signal control or turning lights on and off. 

• RMweb Gold

I'm trying to set things up with an Absolute Aspects signal that is common negative.  Does this mean it will not work with the YD8116?

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

As luck would have it YaMoRC make what you would be looking for :)

YD6942 - common cathode to anode

Thanks for that - it's what I had begun to suspect was the problem. I can see the YD8116 switching, but the signal heads are blank...

So I think I'll stay with my current configuration, namely using LS150s with sefl-built latching relay boards to switch the aspects. These were all left over long ago when I converted to Tortoise motors, and I've used them since for some Eckon signals that are now a bit tired. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi.

I am thinking of getting AA signals for my new layout. I understand that they are 12v, negative (cathode) return,  and they already have suitable resistors on the board.

I have already purchased a YD8116 and a YD9110 to configure it.  Following the advice here, I have ordered a pair of YD6942 adaptors.  I note that they have 270 ohm resistors on board.  Will they conflict with the AA board resistors?

I have some Berko signals, also common negative, left over from my previous layout.  Can I connect them directly to the YD6942 or do I need additional resistors?  I used to connect them directly to TrainTec SC1 decoders.

With 4 no. YD6942 adaptors, the YD8116 is proving to be expensive.  I hope I shall be able to configure it for a AA two aspect with a four way Route Indicator.

LED signals confuse me!

Cheers