Which functions, when?

formercw

I'm the proud owner of a Lionheart L&B Manning Wardle with sound, and more sound functions than you can shake a stick at. What I'm not is an engine driver, so I don't know when various functions should be used if operating prototypically. Before I post a long description of a typical movement and the functions available, asking people to fill in the gaps of my knowledge, can anyone point me to an article that describes actual use of functions?

My first thought is does it matter? If you don’t know if the sound is appropriate then you don’t have to worry about it. However, although my knowledge of steam operation is sketchy to say the least there are a few basic things I know. Engines must whistle prior to moving off, when starting off cylinder drain cocks may be operated to clear any water that may have condensed in the cylinder. The sound of safety valves lifting is only likely while stationary, coal shovelling noises would be at any time but only noticeable to a bystander when at a station. The blower would be operated when entering a tunnel and possibly when going under a bridge. Finally flange squeal is heard when negotiating tight curves with check rails. As I say my knowledge is shaky and someone may correct me, but there tends to be too many sounds on chips and the novelty of operating most of them will soon wear off. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/07/2024 at 02:13, Hibelroad said:

My first thought is does it matter? If you don’t know if the sound is appropriate then you don’t have to worry about it. However, although my knowledge of steam operation is sketchy to say the least there are a few basic things I know. Engines must whistle prior to moving off, when starting off cylinder drain cocks may be operated to clear any water that may have condensed in the cylinder. The sound of safety valves lifting is only likely while stationary, coal shovelling noises would be at any time but only noticeable to a bystander when at a station. The blower would be operated when entering a tunnel and possibly when going under a bridge. Finally flange squeal is heard when negotiating tight curves with check rails. As I say my knowledge is shaky and someone may correct me, but there tends to be too many sounds on chips and the novelty of operating most of them will soon wear off. 

As a qualified steam loco driver, I think there are quite a few misconceptions in what you have there, and also as someone who builds DCC sound files there’s a few things I consider when providing different functions.   One is providing enough functionality so that the loco can be operated prototypically, two is providing a user with the full range of potential that the decoder might offer and three is to provide a certain amount of novelty for those who want such things.

In terms of prototypical operation, the key things are coal shoveling, injectors and blower.  Most decoder files come with coal shoveling and injectors playing as random sounds, but the blower is usually used to increase steam pressure if it’s down a bit.  What you tend to hear in the cab is not what you hear lineside, and to be honest, the sound levels used are often a balance or trade off to build a sound “picture” that gives the best impression of a loco.  I try to work on this the most, making sure that each function is balanced within the others (e.g the whistle shouldn’t be drowned out by the chuff unless the loco is working hard, injectors and coal shoveling should be heard but not overly loud etc).

An example sequence that would be prototypical might be, coast into a station with the blower on, when the train comes to a halt you may want to fill the water tank, and while doing so, maybe have the injector on to get the loco in readiness for departure, along with coal shovelling.  If you leave the blower on too long, the safety valves might lift, and then we hear the guards whistle for right away, with the driver acknowledging with a short pop of the whistle, then it’s getting the train underway.  If the station stop was a short one, then there will not be a need for drain cocks, but there may be flange squeal if curves are tight.  In the background the sound of the ejector might be on to restore vacuum after the braking for the station stop.

ive tried to demonstrate a few of these in my recent YouTube video here 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/07/2024 at 12:47, trw1089 said:

An example sequence that would be prototypical might be, coast into a station with the blower on, when the train comes to a halt you may want to fill the water tank, and while doing so, maybe have the injector on to get the loco in readiness for departure, along with coal shovelling.  

Exactly the sort of help I was looking for. Many thanks.

• Friendly/supportive 1