Graham Farish LMS ‘Twins’ 10000/10001

Crepello

• RMweb Premium

It seems there’s no unique topic for these— now rectified.

What has prompted my post is the procedure for body removal; I have found the instructions to be less than helpful on this aspect. In my experience, the best way to avoid damage  is to remove both bogies by pulling them away from the chassis, then using a small flat-bladed screwdriver in the slots where the friction clips are, lever the chassis away from the body. 

16 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Picked mine up today. Great looking loco but slightly dissapointed by the sound file. Its not as good as the 31 or the 47

And how many Twins are left to record sound from?

• Like 1

is there any similar english electric engine in working order in existence?

presumably the group trying to build lms 10000 have one in bits?

anyway it a fantastic model!

tim

• RMweb Premium

An engine of the same type will only sound the same if it has the same induction and exhaust arrangements. If induction and exhaust are different then it will sound different. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Fair point, so the next question then is what recordings did they use?

Possibly some from archive recordings of the real locos. The English Electric 16SVT engine is I think an earlier version of the one fitted to the Class 40 so possibly preserved examples of those too? 

3 hours ago, Roy L S said:

Possibly some from archive recordings of the real locos. The English Electric 16SVT engine is I think an earlier version of the one fitted to the Class 40 so possibly preserved examples of those too? 

Yeah theres certainly a similarity to the class 40

• Like 1

Well I had to return my loco to the retailler this afternoon as it failed. Was getting movement and lights but no sound, but the roof of the loco was very warm. The loco had been running in for around 20 mins when the failure happened. No shorts, no stopping and no smells, just the sound went off.

The retailler checked the decoder on his decoder tester and it was fine so it appears the speaker had died. 

The replacement sounds  a lot better but the roof is still getting warm. 

• Like 1

One of my new green pair also suddenly lost its voice after a couple of hours running. It, too, has gone off to the retailer for repair or exchange.

• RMweb Premium
On 20/07/2024 at 12:48, Crepello said:

It seems there’s no unique topic for these— now rectified.

What has prompted my post is the procedure for body removal; I have found the instructions to be less than helpful on this aspect. In my experience, the best way to avoid damage  is to remove both bogies by pulling them away from the chassis, then using a small flat-bladed screwdriver in the slots where the friction clips are, lever the chassis away from the body. 

I asked the Farish Service desk and they said to slip lengths of thin plasticard (one either side at one end) down inside the body next to the friction clips, then ease the chassis up out of the body. I tried this and it did work.

Nigel Hunt

• Like 1

On 22/07/2024 at 16:37, Brian-1c said:

One of my new green pair also suddenly lost its voice after a couple of hours running. It, too, has gone off to the retailer for repair or exchange.

Further to this, The Model Centre (TMC) have notified me today that a replacement is in the post to me. That is very fast service from them, well done TMC and thank you.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/07/2024 at 17:14, Nig H said:

I asked the Farish Service desk and they said to slip lengths of thin plasticard (one either side at one end) down inside the body next to the friction clips, then ease the chassis up out of the body. I tried this and it did work.

Nigel Hunt

You were lucky Nigel. I tried this without success.

I unclip the body at one end first, then lift up the body slightly at that end, and then unclip it at the other end and pull off.

I don't bother with plasticard or credit card etc. unless I really can't do it with finger nails.

the body really clips back on with a very strong positive click.

after i change decoder and switches later on I hopefully won't need to remove the body ever again so long as it doesn't go wrong!

tim

ps. come on Bachmann / efe and make d600s or baby deltics next!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluedepot said:

A D600 might be possible through EFE/Kernow as might some Bulleid diesels.

I don't think a Class 23 is on the cards from Bachmann/EFE, that sounds more like Rapido territory.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, bluedepot said:

I unclip the body at one end first, then lift up the body slightly at that end, and then unclip it at the other end and pull off.

I don't bother with plasticard or credit card etc. unless I really can't do it with finger nails.

the body really clips back on with a very strong positive click.

after i change decoder and switches later on I hopefully won't need to remove the body ever again so long as it doesn't go wrong!

tim

I tend to use four matchsticks with a taper cut one end gently pushed in between body and chassis around the location of the securing "clips", the wood is soft and has a little "give" in it which helps avoid any damage but care is still needed.

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

A D600 might be possible through EFE/Kernow as might some Bulleid diesels.

I don't think a Class 23 is on the cards from Bachmann/EFE, that sounds more like Rapido territory.

Except that the 23 was an early announced DJM model (for release after the Clayton supposedly). So far EFE have produced N products from the DJM "list" albeit not in the case of the J94 following the original design. 

Quite honestly I wouldn't want to try and predict what will come next from EFE N wise, but true to say even in N most of the more popular/common classes of diesel have been taken. That leads me to think that if it should be a diesel it is quite likely to be something a bit quirky. The 23 fits that mould but then so do some of the modernisation plan type 1 diesels and the North British 21/29.

Roy

But when there are CADs available for both a D600 and Bulleids I don’t see a class 23 coming from EFE as a ‘quirky’ model.

The class 17 was tooled by Dave Jones, the class 23 was still just a fantasy.  Probably see a King before we see a class 23.

The class 23 feels more like a Rapido model, though I’ve read elsewhere of hints of a class 15, however I expect the Peaks will occupy their attention for some time to come.

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

But when there are CADs available for both a D600 and Bulleids I don’t see a class 23 coming from EFE as a ‘quirky’ model.

The class 17 was tooled by Dave Jones, the class 23 was still just a fantasy.  Probably see a King before we see a class 23.

The class 23 feels more like a Rapido model, though I’ve read elsewhere of hints of a class 15, however I expect the Peaks will occupy their attention for some time to come.

The Class 23 didn't get as far as tooling by DJM it's true but CADs were produced by him so in that respect it is in exactly the same place as the D600 or Bulleid diesels prospect wise I would say. Knowing what we now do, it is probably quite fair to say a 23 progressing under the DJM  banner was in fantasy land and never going to happen, but that doesn't mean the CADs couldn't be reworked by EFE.

A personal opinion thing I guess, but speaking for myself I am not sure the 23 particularly "feels" like a Rapido model, and I too have hear mutterings about a Class 15, so that's probably is more likely, but as we haven't seen EPs of the "Peaks" yet (as far as I can recall happy to be corrected) I tend to agree, any further N locos being announced from that company are not going to happen anytime soon.

Don't get me wrong, a D600 would be quite something, and having now seen LMS "Twins" produced in N you can never say never, but were I a betting man I would still think a 23 would be ahead of it as an EFE prospect.

All that said I am content to be proved wrong and just wait to see what happens, it could be that what comes next is entirely out of the left field - don't forget a Q6 0-8-0 was also in DJM's plans I mean dreams 😁.

Roy

• Like 1

@Roy L S well the V2 was certainly a surprise to follow the surprise of the LMS twins so who really knows what might come next.

Totally off the wall, I had my 10001 running to test it and I was thinking why do I know that sound and then it came to me, a class 50.  Got me thinking if they had used a class 50 when developing the sound project and were they also in the process of doing a 50!

3 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

@Roy L S well the V2 was certainly a surprise to follow the surprise of the LMS twins so who really knows what might come next.

Totally off the wall, I had my 10001 running to test it and I was thinking why do I know that sound and then it came to me, a class 50.  Got me thinking if they had used a class 50 when developing the sound project and were they also in the process of doing a 50!

I thought it was very class 40 like in the startup rotine, but the idling sound is very similar to the class 50 i agree

2 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

I thought it was very class 40 like in the startup rotine, but the idling sound is very similar to the class 50 i agree

A mix of EE sounds will probably be what they’ve done.  And of course someone recording sounds from a class 50 doesn’t mean they are tooling one but you never know …..