NBL Type 2 Diesel-Hydraulic Locomotives, BR Class 22: Volume 2 - Detailed Insights

tony6710

Good morning,
I have been informed that my latest book was published  by Pen & Sword yesterday  i.e.

"North British Type 2 B-B Diesel-Hydraulic Locomotives, BR Class 22: Volume 2 - Detailed Insights”.

Volume 1, published three months ago, set the scene surrounding the relatively short history of the Class 22s covering the ordering of the Class by the BTC, technical aspects, appearance design, the introduction of the fleet and acceptance testing, works histories and their allocations. Also included were individual histories of  the fifty-eight locomotives.

Volume 2 makes extensive use of available archive material, with the personal experiences of engineers and enthusiasts observations of the day also included to develop the stories. Previously unpublished information, covering the performance issues surrounding these locomotives, form a central focus, together with details of fire incidents and accidents. Liveries and detail differences are given in-depth treatment to illustrate that there really were reasons and a logical time progression behind the complicated series of design modifications applied to the D63xx locomotives, particularly their front ends. The second book concludes with sections on storage, withdrawal and final disposal.

The first volume has been very well received, particularly the allocation section recognizing my attempts to correct most if not all of the serious errors perpetrated and repeated in a number of relatively recent “allocation history”-type publications.

I hope you like the books, which whilst not the first exclusively devoted to the Class 22s, are certainly the first to provide a comprehensive coverage of the subject of this hugely interesting Class of locomotives from cradle to grave. 

Anthony Sayer .

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, tony6710 said:

Good morning,
I have been informed that my latest book was published  by Pen & Sword yesterday  i.e.

"North British Type 2 B-B Diesel-Hydraulic Locomotives, BR Class 22: Volume 2 - Detailed Insights”.

Volume 1, published three months ago, set the scene surrounding the relatively short history of the Class 22s covering the ordering of the Class by the BTC, technical aspects, appearance design, the introduction of the fleet and acceptance testing, works histories and their allocations. Also included were individual histories of  the fifty-eight locomotives.

Volume 2 makes extensive use of available archive material, with the personal experiences of engineers and enthusiasts observations of the day also included to develop the stories. Previously unpublished information, covering the performance issues surrounding these locomotives, form a central focus, together with details of fire incidents and accidents. Liveries and detail differences are given in-depth treatment to illustrate that there really were reasons and a logical time progression behind the complicated series of design modifications applied to the D63xx locomotives, particularly their front ends. The second book concludes with sections on storage, withdrawal and final disposal.

The first volume has been very well received, particularly the allocation section recognizing my attempts to correct most if not all of the serious errors perpetrated and repeated in a number of relatively recent “allocation history”-type publications.

I hope you like the books, which whilst not the first exclusively devoted to the Class 22s, are certainly the first to provide a comprehensive coverage of the subject of this hugely interesting Class of locomotives from cradle to grave. 

Anthony Sayer .

I'll certainly be buying this as I've bought all the others

Dare I ask anything else in the pipeline? 

Oh yes, another one very much in the pipeline. Can't say too much at the moment but very much in my chosen area of the "less than successful BR Types". And another one in the formative stages but no contract signed as yet. Watch this space!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

On 20/07/2024 at 17:15, tony6710 said:

Oh yes, another one very much in the pipeline. Can't say too much at the moment but very much in my chosen area of the "less than successful BR Types". And another one in the formative stages but no contract signed as yet. Watch this space!

Oooh, sounds interesting. Class 23 Baby Deltics is an obvious gap in your books on unsuccessful diesel mainline prototypes unless you are moving into the world of early shunters?

I really enjoy your books even though I'm not old enough to remember those classes in service.

Well I have just received a copy of this new Volume 2 and I must confess that I haven't seen this level of detail in any other diesel & electric publication............and I have quite a few!   This series just gets better and better!

The author is obviously very methodical in his approach and the level of research to obtain the finite detail that is portrayed go's beyond what has been previously published. Over the last sixty years I thought I knew quite a lot about BR diesels...........but obviously I still have a lot to learn and can do so quite easily with the added style and format of this publication.

Pen & Sword seem to have chosen a very relaxed style of format which allows for good photographic illustration within the text and who ever thought their would be two volumes for a class of 58 'unloved' diesel hydraulics. 

I look forward to contributing to more of Anthony Sayer's subjects and hope I live long enough for him to give the same level of his passion to Class 31's.

Thoroughly recommended.

D6332 Paddington  August 67 Slide 180.jpg

D6351 Oxford June 67 Slide 100.jpg

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/07/2024 at 17:15, tony6710 said:

Hmmm. Lion, Falcon, Kestrel?

Paul