32mm to 45mm crossover for dual gauge garden railway

• RMweb Premium

Sunset Valley in the States sell one, if this is what you mean: https://sunsetvalleyrailroad.com/product/dual-gauge-traverser/

Elsewhere I've seen a different dual gauge crossover made without switches and instead using check rails to move the narrow gauge stock across, tramway style, but this would only work if the two gauges have similar wheel standards. You might be able to do this if all the 32mm stock uses 16mm Association (or G1MRA) standard wheelsets with 6 mm thick wheels and 4.5 mm wide treads, but I have some Slaters 32 mm narrow gauge wheelsets with far narrower wheels (approx 4.5 mm thick) that wouldn't pick up on the stock rail when running off the "switch" (it isn't really a switch, but I can't think what to call it). I only work in 45 mm myself, and I have no idea how these wheelsets work on ordinary SM32 pointwork which also has to accommodate far coarser 16mm Association or G1MRA wheels.

Hi Jeremy, thanks, that's very useful.

Apologies, as I should have been more specific...as I had more in mind a diamond-type crossing (at quite an acute angle).

R

• 2 weeks later...