The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Major worldwide IT outages

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

My understanding is that the Automatic Pilot will obey a TCAS Resolution Advisory if Automatic Pilot is engaged.  This would usually be the case for most of a long-haul flight - the boring bit when the pilots might as well be reading a book.  Though they would be expected to put their book down if TCAS or any other monitoring systems suddenly starts shouting at them! 

The crew would have to react if it were not engaged (more likely at take-off/landing) .  And of course only larger airliners are fitted with these systems - light aircraft typically don't have TCAS, but can of course present a collision risk to bigger aircraft.  TCAS should be still able to detect such aircraft as long as they are fitted with working transponders.

Your understanding is incorrect.

A TA is an alert to prepare for appropriate action. An RA provides an aircrew action to immediately switch off the autopilot and react to the RA that has to be hand flown. If the aircrew do nothing when receiving either, then the aircraft will still bump into each other.

TCAS is fitted to ‘commercial’ aircraft above 5,700kg, and depending on useage aircraft lighter than that. Light aircraft and gliders also have systems like FLARM that are available at reasonable costs that have warning capabilities. None however take or retain control of an aircraft to autonomously avoid a potential collision.

• RMweb Premium

Computers are now a mature technology. The days when the next generation processor, software package etc really made a difference to the typical user are long gone. However, they need to keep introducing things that can be sold as a reason to upgrade.

I could have done just about everything I need or want to do on lap tops I had over ten years ago. I am not a computer person and the things I do are very limited.

Ditto mobile phones. My last phone was a mid-range OnePlus Nord, it did everything I wanted to do just as well as my current S23 ultra other than the S23 having a long telephoto lens. Yet advertisers, magazines, influences still try and convince us we simply must upgrade.

That's how the world works. You simply must get that 48 giga pixel full frame camera, the difference is night and day compared to last years 42 giga pixel model. Your life will be transformed by a 400K UUUUUUUUHD TV. After listening to Elvis upsampled to 357bit 58 GHz there's no going back etc etc. I wish I had a dollar for everyone I know who bought a headphone DAC/amp and then admitted there was no difference from a cheap dongle.

I get why manufacturers do it, it's completely explicable. What I hate are the shill reviewers and influencers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

That's how the world works. You simply must get that 48 giga pixel full frame camera, the difference is night and day compared to last years 42 giga pixel model. Your life will be transformed by a 400K UUUUUUUUHD TV. After listening to Elvis upsampled to 357bit 58 GHz there's no going back etc etc. I wish I had a dollar for everyone I know who bought a headphone DAC/amp and then admitted there was no difference from a cheap dongle.

It does, but not all of us want it, somne of us are quite happy to drive around in old cars with little technology.

After all, there are still people who still use a key to energise their locomotives !

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, MJI said:

Windows problems is that they keep fiddling with the UI, and forcing their own choices

Hmm.

When I bought my wife a new computer and it came with Win 11 she needed zero training in how to use it and didn't whine about it once. I considered that a success in their part.

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

Hmm.

When I bought my wife a new computer and it came with Win 11 she needed zero training in how to use it and didn't whine about it once. I considered that a success in their part.

Try with a mac, or a linux job.

It is when you use more tools you get issues.

I get really annoyed at ms trying to force me off firefox.

Our work support had a very busy day a few weeks ago sorting out another browser hijack, restoring chrome and firefox to us all.

Btw my wife finds mint very easy to use.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

When I upgraded from Win 10 to Win 11, I didn't notice any difference.

I see there is something called Copilot and have ignored any temptation to find out what it does.

Seems to be the best approach to 'upgrades'!

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, MJI said:

Try with a mac, or a linux job.

It is when you use more tools you get issues.

I get really annoyed at ms trying to force me off firefox.

Our work support had a very busy day a few weeks ago sorting out another browser hijack, restoring chrome and firefox to us all.

Btw my wife finds mint very easy to use.

The only time MS attempts to get me to make Edge the default browser (after a Win update), I ignore it and open FireFox. No big deal.

I realise that Edge is required in the background for updates, but do I use it - not if I can help it.

Edge seems to think that I'm interested in the NYSE, the weather in Fahrenheit, and Hollywood gossip. If it's so good, it ought to detect that I don't look at these 'features' and so turn them off!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I see there is something called Copilot and have ignored any temptation to find out what it does.

You did not notice, the weird sausage UI, 3 different task bar styles,  show desktop shrunk so not hoverable,start in a silly location .

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, MJI said:

You did not notice

Ah.

I would suspect more "didn't care" along with "there's worse things in life that are _actually_ worth complaining about"..

Like rivets...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, MJI said:

You did not notice, the weird sausage UI, 3 different task bar styles,  show desktop shrunk so not hoverable,start in a silly location .

Now you mention it - no! I don't even know what you're talking about with some of those!

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I'm generally one for grumbling about any changes but one of the problems with Windows 11 is that it didn't change some things that it should - still got the control panel and settings mix.

I had to go even further before to get around some things back to the way I like them, but in those cases it's a less obvious change on 11's part since I was very much going against the default from both 10 and 7 anyway. Got slightly better in any case when they finally removed the forced taskbar icon combine.

Edited by Reorte

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Edge seems to think that I'm interested in the NYSE, the weather in Fahrenheit, and Hollywood gossip. If it's so good, it ought to detect that I don't look at these 'features' and so turn them off!

That's the last thing I'd want it to do - decide on its own behalf what it thinks I want and turn things on an off accordingly! Let me set things up how I like and don't try to be "helpful" please!

• Like 1