The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

What is the point of Model Railways?

Ian Morgan

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good morning folks,

Come to that, what is the point of QI?

More non-entity blathering to fill up the TV schedule?

Cheers, Nigel.

Slightly more amusing than any "reality" programmes currently being shown, or celeb travelogues, or quiz shows that rely on an unusual mechanism  to tease the participants.

Though that clip was more than unusually sexist in the range of responses to "model railways".

Most programmes are there to fill up the schedule.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Slightly more amusing than any "reality" programmes currently being shown, or celeb travelogues, or quiz shows that rely on an unusual mechanism  to tease the participants.

Though that clip was more than unusually sexist in the range of responses to "model railways".

Most programmes are there to fill up the schedule.

Not bothered watching that clip, but I usually find QI to be decent enough entertainment when I just want to stick my feet up for a bit. Although I vaguely recognise the woman as someone who I've found a bit irritating before; if she's asking "what's the point?" of something she's not interested in herself then that just reinforces it. When it comes to interests and hobbies it's a question only ever asked by fairly unintelligent people with little to no imagination who aren't capable of understanding anything that isn't exactly what they want to do (which is usually things that require no effort or thought).

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

51 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Not bothered watching that clip,....

if she's asking "what's the point?" of something she's not interested in herself then that just reinforces it. 

You should probably watch it. 

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

I used to enjoy QI but eventually I was turned off for the same reason I switched off Have I Got News for You and stopped reading Private Eye, it went from rather clever and insightful humour which could be quite informative to majoring on supercilious sneering.

• Like 4
  • Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I used to enjoy QI but eventually I was turned off for the same reason I switched off Have I Got News for You and stopped reading Private Eye, it went from rather clever and insightful humour which could be quite informative to majoring on supercilious sneering.

Completely agree . Both past their expiry date I think 

as to the point of model railways , I haven’t watched the clip , but for me relaxation . Absorption away from the realities of life 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Everything everyone does is ultimately pointless, the sun will devour the earth in a bit, however its how you live your life which counts, a life lived well is a well spent life and hobbies keep you active and give a sense of fulfilment. 

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

You should probably watch it. 

Probably, but I'm at work at the moment so it'll have to wait until I'm at home.

• RMweb Premium

I thought it rather fun and I'm not sure where the sexist bit was. If we can't laugh at ourselves then it's a poor do.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I would have hoped that RMWebbers might have watched the clip before coming out with knee-jerk reactions.  Yes, it’s been given a clickbaity title, but the content had some interest:

in 

a) good to hear the L&YR Signalling School training layout getting a mention and a short but serious explanation (although given it’s also on working public display at the NRM a mention of that and a photo/some film would have been good - but no, let’s show something in London that no-one can visit instead 🤨 /rant);

b) Sandi Toksvig mentioning that she liked model railways and had a loco running round her office, which rather nicely took the wind out of the sails of some of the smartarse patronising from the guests…

Edited by RichardT
  • Like 5
  • Agree 8

4 minutes ago, RichardT said:

b) Sandi Toksvig mentioning that she liked model railways and had a loco running round her office, which rather nicely took the wind out of the sails of some of the smartarse patronising from the guests…

It was also Sandi who asked the 'what is the point' question which was in relation to the signalling school model pictured.  A harmless and fun clip only slightly spoiled by Aisling Bea.

Graeme

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, jacko said:

It was also Sandi who asked the 'what is the point' question which was in relation to the signalling school model pictured.  A harmless and fun clip only slightly spoiled by Aisling Bea.

Graeme

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, jacko said:

in relation to the signalling school model pictured.

Point of info - the old model pictured behind Sandi isn’t from the L&YR layout (which is mainly coarse scale third rail EMUs) - I suspect that it’s a generic “old model train” photo the researchers googled. But rewatching it to check I was also struck by the straightforward non-sneering way Sandi described Rod Stewart’s railway and how he models on tour. Of course, in a sense she’s there to be the “straight man” feed to the panellists, but even so kudos for resisting the cheap shots.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

For those who didn't bother to watch the clip the actual question was (words to the effect of) -

"The oldest surviving model railway was made in 1912. What was it for ?"

Answer - LYR Signalling School layout. 

Yiu may rejoin the outrage bus, although I accept that two of the three contributions were purile. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RichardT said:

I would have hoped that RMWebbers might have watched the clip before coming out with knee-jerk reactions.  Yes, it’s been given a clickbaity title, but the content had some interest:

Guilty as charged, fair enough!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I hear the latest reason is 'postponing dementia'.  I am all for that.

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

58 minutes ago, C126 said:

I hear the latest reason is 'postponing dementia'.  I am all for that.

All for what?

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The narratologist Barbara Czarniawska wrote that ‘theories simplify and beautify reality’.

I like the quote and think that model railways do the same.

Model railways simplify and beautify reality. Well, some of them do. 

Dava

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

4 minutes ago, Dava said:

Well, some of them do.

They all do in our heads and hearts.............and that's what matters...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ve not watched the clip but I have had a few hours’ training session on the L&Y layout and I found that fascinating and mind-broadening. 

• Like 2