New GF V2

CF MRC

40 minutes ago, class8mikado said:

This is the dichotomy with N gauge. the smaller size does allow more realistically sized curves, realistic length trains and close coupling  - on a good size layout - here there  is no place for R2 curves except on industrial locations - but it also allows  3 'toy train' Ovals in half the space of an oo gauge and that is what a lot of people have...

There is a very important place for curves as sharp as R2 even on a mainline layout with gentle curves on the scenic parts of the layout and that is where the curves are in the Fiddle-Yard, where it can save an enormous amount of space.

The other thing to remember is that the very attraction of N is that you can have a layout in a much smaller area than you can in either OO (or indeed TT120) and in doing so there is very likely a need to use the sharper curves like R2. Any manufacturer has to design and make a model that will work on the majority of layouts and as such compromises on tender-gap are likely to some extent unless someone comes up with some kind of "cam" arrangement as on certain OO models where the gap opens on curves and closes up on straights. However, as the drawbar often transfer power between loco and tender on a n N model I wouldn't think that will be something we will see all that often personally. 

Roy

• Agree 1

On 29/08/2024 at 13:33, Roy L S said:

From all accounts he had huge difficulty persuading the Chinese engineers to reduce the drawbar length from the ludicrously long one they designed it with.

Not too surprised to read this, a very variable degree of ineptitude in arrangements of loco to tender linkages has been something of a feature of Bachmann's OO product from the launch of the Blue Riband range. (Coupling bar and tender location mismatched for height, coupling bars way too long, coupling bars with closer setting unavailable because moulded on intermediate buffers too long, attempts at camming systems which were unreliable.)

In the midst of all this, an ideal solution of coupling bar therough the dragbox with a simple user variable spacing enabled by a screw locked slide concealed under the tender, graced their OO tender loco models over a decade or more of introductions. And - sigh - has recently been abandoned (new V2). 😞

Happily just about everything else on the product has been good, and as one by now well practised in altering the various NBG arrangements, I just get on with modifications as required. Likely to be the same in N... 

16 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Not too surprised to read this, a very variable degree of ineptitude in arrangements of loco to tender linkages has been something of a feature of Bachmann's OO product from the launch of the Blue Riband range. (Coupling bar and tender location mismatched for height, coupling bars way too long, coupling bars with closer setting unavailable because moulded on intermediate buffers too long, attempts at camming systems which were unreliable.)

In the midst of all this, an ideal solution of coupling bar therough the dragbox with a simple user variable spacing enabled by a screw locked slide concealed under the tender, graced their OO tender loco models over a decade or more of introductions. And - sigh - has recently been abandoned (new V2). 😞

Happily just about everything else on the product has been good, and as one by now well practised in altering the various NBG arrangements, I just get on with modifications as required. Likely to be the same in N... 

The issue with most N tender models from Bachmann is that the drawbar doubles up as a retainer for sprung power transfer "clips" that press on two half round stubs for each side of pickup on loco and tender, not at all easy to shorten without finding another viable way to make the power transfer, and for good running all pickups are needed in N.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Production samples displayed at The International N Gauge Show this weekend and one was also running very sweetly on Bachmann's display track pulling some teak Thompsons. They look incredible, and such a step change from the first GF attempt from getting on for 20 years ago, but then with advances in technology and production methods it should be I guess! No boiler skirt this time, and I hope it does well for Bachmann - it really deserves to.

Lighting made it hard for  me to get decent pics on my phone, but here is a reasonable one of 60847 "St Peters School" on BR Green, late crest, with outside steam pipes. All models hoped to be with us before the Year End.

20240914_123551.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2