New GF V2

CF MRC

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

At long last Graham Farish have announced a re-tooled V2, just as I was about to give our converted original engine a serious looking at with a view to making it into a really useful green engine on CF. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
Tweaking English.
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

If you like V2s then I think you'll like this video. Don't be put off that it starts with A4 Sir Nigel Gresley, the reason will become clear as the story progresses; the real V2 action starts around the ten minute mark.

• RMweb Premium

Excellent! Please take my money Farish.

(Now, how about completing the set and shrinking the V1/V3 as well? If Sonic did an N2 or shrink their A5 then late LNER/early BR becomes a doddle in N #neversatisfied)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I hope that these sell well and it encourages them to look at more n gauge steam locos.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I have a Sandy on order, but Dapol seem to have little desire to produce it.  So maybe I will see what arrives first and then make a decision.

On 17/07/2024 at 17:29, RichardT said:

(Now, how about completing the set and shrinking the V1/V3 as well? If Sonic did an N2 or shrink their A5 then late LNER/early BR becomes a doddle in N #neversatisfied)

Oh I dunno, J36, J38, K3, D30, D49......

Never satisfied, although the new V2 will be most welcome

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DaveArkley said:
On 17/07/2024 at 17:29, RichardT said:

I entirely agree, but I felt that pushing for shrinkage of actually-existing non-Hornby locos was an achievable first step! (I forget - was the 4mm N2 Hornby?)

• Like 1

On 19/07/2024 at 14:12, DaveArkley said:

Good news on the V2. I would think the V1/V3 could be a quick win afterwards. Or is that wildly optimistic!?

I can empathise with these comments. As someone who has just come to N Gauge, my own interests are Eastern/North Eastern Region late 1950s to early 1970s. Basically, there are no RTR steam locos for a branch line, excepting the J39 and the BR Standards. It's also frustrating that so little seems to be available at any one time. Probably a sign of the much smaller market for N Gauge compared to 4mm scale. 

But back the topic... The V2 announcement should be applauded. 

Edited by south_tyne
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I don't think a real V2 ever made it to the Mid Hants, but one certainly will in N Gauge! 

Screenshot2024-08-07093619.png.222dae8d4aebc649b4d6d19e885bda22.png

Tom. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 26/07/2024 at 09:20, Fredo said:

Hi, do you think the new tooling will also cover the double chimney variants? Thanks Fred

Certainly not in the first batch according to today’s announcement.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, class8mikado said:

Holding off till i see one in the flesh as they seem to be executing the tender connection/spacing wrong these days...

There are a range of pictures on the products page of the Bachmann website, including a profile shot. Inevitably the gap needs to be wider than the prototype, but it looks OK to me, but then I'm not sure what it is specifically you are looking for?

Edited by Roy L S
Unable to include hyperlink

1 hour ago, class8mikado said:

Looking to avoid the yawning gap they put on std 4's an 5's ! 

There is no "yawning gap" on the Standard 5 (I am looking at one) just what is necessary to allow it to negotiate R2 curves.

As regards the Standard 4, I spoke to Colin Allbright (then N Gauge designer for Bachmann)about the length of the drawbar when the loco was released quite some years ago now. From all accounts he had huge difficulty persuading the Chinese engineers to reduce the drawbar length from the ludicrously long one they designed it with. In the end a compromise had to be reached whereby it would be supplied with the long drawbar fitted but a shorter one was included as an option for the buyer to fit. With the shorter one used there is still a bit of a gap but it is a big improvement. In respect of that particular loco though I very much doubt that any more will be made.

Roy

Edited by Roy L S
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

This is the dichotomy with N gauge. the smaller size does allow more realistically sized curves, realistic length trains and close coupling  - on a good size layout - here there  is no place for R2 curves except on industrial locations - but it also allows  3 'toy train' Ovals in half the space of an oo gauge and that is what a lot of people have...