Bachmann another new tooling

Thebigshot

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Deltic or 40 I’d say . No comoetittion with the later .

Unless they'd actually committed to a Deltic before Accurascale I'd say zero chance - surely the Deltic market is pretty much locked in by AS for the next decade at least. The 40 is a different matter - think that market is there for the taking by an established player despite the KR proposal. 

• RMweb Gold

Re the constant requests for a modern 40 (from myself included). Why don’t Bachmann just tweak their existing 40 tooling, sorting the cab windscreens out so they are of the same quality in detail as the recent 37, adding the missing chassis details and replacing overscale bogie jumpers with correctly-proportioned ones. Slightly deeper bogie frame detail would be nice, but weathering the existing ones helps. I’d lose about 0.4mm from the height as well, though this is an easy change to make.

• Like 1

Danger  !  -  Conspiracy theory ahead.

The September (?) Bachmann members day is to be held at the Swanage Railway,  IF something was announced today they could get samples there in time ?

Today is the 17th July.

On the 18th July 2023, the Swanage Railway formally announced to the public that their restored Adams T3 4-4-0 had steamed

https://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/news/view/victorian-steam-locomotive-steams-for-first-time-since-1948-at-gloucestershire-restoration-base

So that's my guess  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?

Just to remind people how pretty (and an obvious winner) she will be  see this video ;

• Like 4

11 hours ago, KAR 120C said:

Class 319 in 00 gauge.  They’ve already produced it in N so the research has already been done.  Long service and loads of liveries to choose from.

Would make a lot of sense depending on whether the product would sell, given the price of a four car EMU.

I understand an ex TfW red and white 769 was hauled to Brodies at Kilmarnock this week.  Brodies is part owned by class 769 fleet owner Porterbrook, and modified two ex GWR green 769/9s for some trial running in Scotland.     

• RMweb Premium

The black background to me means something not 00 or NG/009. If it were Fairish it would probably allude to that in the trailer. I reckon it's not model railway related.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy L S said:

A few thoughts that, the first and most obvious of which is that Bachmann have never made a King in any scale, and in saying this I am of course aware of the Farish "King" which wasn't Bachmann, it was  made late in Poole days and frankly it is awful, they would have to start R&D from scratch.

Secondly DJM seem to have poisoned the well somewhat as regards the loco with their proposed "crowdfunded" version where the "crowd" didn't appear to fund anything apart from a few CADS, because subsequent to that when KR models proposed a King in N (using what appeared to be a very similar CAD to the DJM) it clearly didn't generate enough interest because it was never taken further. The only way it might surface as an N model that I can see is as an EFE one based around the DJM CADs. 

I think there are a few more obvious gaps that are for larger classes of more widely travelled steam locos, and two from the old Farish range already made in OO by Bachmann are the Hughes Fowler "Crab" and the Gresley V2, another possible is the 94xx Pannier, an ever present in the Farish range for about 35 years recently newly tolled in OO.

Three hours and we will find out, very likely it will be none of the above, not a loco and not even N! 🤔

Roy

P.S. Edit: For clarity, the Farish N Gauge V2 produced early "noughties" isn't a wholly Bachmann designed loco, work on it was actually started before the takeover of Farish and it is therefore something of a hybrid.

The DJM (now KR) CADs for the N gauge  'King' have a number of shortcomings and errors.  Most, if not all, would be relatively easy to correct but that would cost money and require some research work.  I think it might well be better to start from scratch in case there are any dimensional errors to go with the detail shortcomings.

• RMweb Gold

If they are announcing whatever it is before their August announcements does that suggest that they think someone else might be working in the same direction and they want to get their flag planted first?    So probably not an n.g. model in either of their scales; maybe something much asked for/high polling  in 00?;  or again something much asked for in N for their Graham Farish brand?

And possibly a centenary link to 1925 although I think that less likely than an 00 'much asked for/high polling' model

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

The DJM (now KR) CADs for the N gauge  'King' have a number of shortcomings and errors.  Most, if not all, would be relatively easy to correct but that would cost money and require some research work.  I think it might well be better to start from scratch in case there are any dimensional errors to go with the detail shortcomings.

A decade ago now Mike @The Stationmaster since we got all excited about a new King [DJM/Hattons] in 4mm at RMweb 'live'.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

If they are announcing whatever it is before their August announcements does that suggest that they think someone else might be working in the same direction and they want to get their flag planted first?    So probably not an n.g. model in either of their scales; maybe something much asked for/high polling  in 00?;  or again something much asked for in N for their Graham Farish brand?

And possibly a centenary link to 1925 although I think that less likely than an 00 'much asked for/high polling' model

If it's an N item the only danger of duplication on current models might be the class 37 if the big A are planning a release, the 31 has already been warmed over to Next18/Sound but the 37 sticks out like a sore thumb 6 pin with a last hurrah last year perhaps.

There are the 6 pin 25s and 24s but no danger of Heljan or SLW coming to N, the only other loco might be a class 20 but again not an obvious potential duplicate with big A at this moment.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

That's already in planning isnt it

Not sure. I'm not an N modeller. I just love the selection liveries appearing on the 69's. I'm hopping for Kestrel orang and brown soon!

Luke

2 hours ago, Roy L S said:

Personally I think they would tackle the 37 first as far as sound goes - in fact there's a thought, could the announcement even turn out be a brand new ground up 37 in N to current specification as a follow on to the OO one I wonder??

This is my guess, either a 37 possibly a 57 in N gauge. Outside chance SDJR 7F 2-8-0 (if I mention it enough it may happen 😉)

12 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

In N...

Indeed, in the video it displayed the previous version that was panned before Bachmann upped their game for later N gauge models.

This is the V2 we should have got at the time.

Even better it's a new tooling steam engine, it demonstrates that they still see a market for N gauge steam.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Ed-farms said:

This is my guess, either a 37 possibly a 57 in N gauge. Outside chance SDJR 7F 2-8-0 (if I mention it enough it may happen 😉)

Close  but no cigar.

But hey Bachmann Farish are still looking at steam engines so perhaps there is still a chance for one in the future.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

So, not a DCC sound Stingray then?  Disappointed.

If the Bachmann Club jolly is at Swanage, perhaps they will announce a 3 car Southern Thumper which used to work the line.  That would be well received.

• Agree 1