Need a small easy to mount motor

I've recently been building an NER Class 901 2-4-0 out of two Holden tanks and a GBL T9, I've gotten around to motorising it but the Type 7 motor I've been using has refused every attempt I have tried to attach it to the 3d printed chassis using plasticard holders (It always finds a way to bend up off the gear). I'm asking here to see if there's anything similar or smaller that has screw holes pre-made on it, and if it already has axles they have to be 1/8" (This rules out an N20 motor), I'd also prefer it to work well with DCC.

If anyone has any motor suggestions please send them here, thank you in advance.

20240707_092944.jpg

High Level Kits sell some decent small motors, and a large variety of gearboxes to go with them. There is an on-line planner to help you choose the right bits too.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Barclay said:

High Level Kits sell some decent small motors, and a large variety of gearboxes to go with them. There is an on-line planner to help you choose the right bits too.

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll keep that in mind for next time I need a motor for a scratchbuild (Which will be the NER Tyneside Electric) as I found an Anchoridge D11 I can use for now in the 901

On 16/07/2024 at 12:45, Emery Hill Station said:

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll keep that in mind for next time I need a motor for a scratchbuild (Which will be the NER Tyneside Electric) as I found an Anchoridge D11 I can use for now in the 901

Smooth traction of a loco depends as much on the gear box (motor mounts come second in my opinion) as the motor. A D11 is a good motor but does not perform as well as either a 5 pole skewed motor or best of all coreless motor, from what I have seen a D11 is both old technology as far as the armature, also quite long, worst of all from what I can see it uses the older larger worm gear rather than the newer style of smaller worms. The plus factor is that it has a 2mm shaft.

But then on the other hand (contradicting the previous statements) some do have the knack of getting these motors to run well

3 hours ago, hayfield said:

Smooth traction of a loco depends as much on the gear box (motor mounts come second in my opinion) as the motor.

Luckily the shaft is OK for the Romford gear set it is currently using, however the problem wasn't with traction, the worm kept skipping over the driver due to the type 7 being nearly impossible to mount properly in the limited space I had

• RMweb Premium

I would go for Highlevel everytime.  One of the big advantages is that the gearbox is mounted on the axle, so you DON'T have the issue of trying to mount the motor on the chassis and keep the gears in mesh.  all you need is a restraint to stop the assembly rotating on the axle.  Nearly all the locos on my Workbench topic are done this way, the latest is a Beattie well-tank, using a 1219 motor:  DLT's SR Locos

I would recommend cutting your losses, and replacing the large D11/Romford combination with a far better (and smaller) Highlevel setup.  

All the best,

Dave.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

John @cctransuk usually has stocks of small Mitsumi motors. I have a couple and they seem to run well.  I pair them with a HL gearbox.  They have a 1.5mm shaft.

They are also very reasonable @ <£10 each. 

Steve

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, sjp23480 said:

John @cctransuk usually has stocks of small Mitsumi motors. I have a couple and they seem to run well.  I pair them with a HL gearbox.  They have a 1.5mm shaft.

They are also very reasonable @ <£10 each. 

Steve

Indeed I do - £10.00 each including UK P&P.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1