Enamel/Acrylics over Halfords Car Paint Aerosol

Good morning all,

I've just broken out my long stored Rover Brooklands Green to paint up a Class 08 - but due to the chunky detail and high gloss finish it's looking a bit more like a Tonka truck than a model (NB: the body components are resting in place, rather than fixed - like the roof):

image.png.6a703980b2e79b2b95939f02ed342b4d.png

I am reassured that with some light weathering and washes over it, it should bed down nicely.

Before I ruin the paintjob on a model with such a lengthy gestation though, I thought I'd double check: once it's cured (not dried) then I'm fine to go over it with acrylic washes, paints and transfers - but if I want to use enamels or oils then I'll need to give it a coat of varnish first, to stop them reacting? That last step is a bit annoying because I want a gloss finish so the washes pool correctly anyway!

• RMweb Premium

Once fully dry, I always leave it a couple of days, any enamel paint, washes etc. I’ve used has been fine put over Halfords spray paints whether primer or top coat. But,,, don’t show it any type of liquid glue, dissolves the finish instantly! Guess how I know…

Bob

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Will enamels or acrylics key into the surface of the existing paint OK? I’ve had enamel chip and flake off when I’ve knocked the surface against something, the answer being to ensure the surface is rubbed down with fine wet and dry and degreased using detergent or acrylic water borne thinners. For sanding between raised detail, I’ve made little sanding sticks from a piece of square section styrene or an offcut of thick plasticard with the end cut across diaginally and a small piece of wet and dry superglued on. Hopefully that makes sense.

I thought I replied @micklner - the paint doesn't specify enamel or acrylic anywhere on the can but googling 'halfords car spray aerosol' leads me to believe it may be acrylic.  Ideally i'd like to slather the thing in dirty brown oil washes after transfers (with which I'll coat with future floor polish @sulzer27jd for sure)

Thank you both @Izzy and @97406 - I'll try some oil/enamel on a test piece first, last thing I want to do is ruin the finish after it's taken me this long to put together!

• RMweb Premium

I've never had any problems with enamels over Halfords car paints.  For example a brass coach body in BR maroon livery, I prime firstly with Halfords Etch Primer (which is grey) then with Halfords Red Oxide primer to give a suitable undercoat colour for the maroon.  Then the maroon is Halfords Ford Burgundy Red, which obviously covers the roof and ends as well so when that has dried for a couple of days I brush paint the ends black with Humbrol no.85 Coal Black and the roof either with a Humbrol dark grey (32 or67) or Railmatch Roof Dirt colour.  I've never had any difficulties with the paint failing to adhere, or being affected by a reaction with what's underneath.  Maybe the key is to leave the Halfords paint to dry thoroughly over a few days.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Lacathedrale said:

the paint doesn't specify enamel or acrylic anywhere on the can but googling 'halfords car spray aerosol' leads me to believe it may be acrylic

I believe the Halfords aerosol paints are acrylic.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

They are now, but the OP's is 'long stored'.  Whichever it is I wouldn't anticipate any problem over coating with enamels.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/07/2024 at 09:51, 31A said:

Maybe the key is to leave the Halfords paint to dry thoroughly over a few days.

This never really hurts with any paints tbh....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I went into Halfords only a couple of weeks ago looking for acrylic primer and they informed me that they now only sell enamel primer.  It certainly didn't say acryic on the can so that was why I checked.  I accept there is a possibility that the staff member didn't actually know and made it up but worth a check if you go in.

Just checked on their web and it does say it is Acrylic.

Edited by chriswright03
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, chriswright03 said:

I went into Halfords only a couple of weeks ago looking for acrylic primer and they informed me that they now only sell enamel primer.  It certainly didn't say acryic on the can so that was why I checked.  I accept there is a possibility that the staff member didn't actually know and made it up but worth a check if you go in.

Just checked on their web and it does say it is Acrylic.

I've just been and in the new ranges they had some that specificially says it is enamel primer and then the general car stuff that doesn't say. I'd be surprised if they are both the same: the details of what it contains are different.

Suspect you are right that they misinformed you!

• Like 2

I've used standard white/red/grey primer and then painted over with both enamels and acrylics with no problem. I believe the 'plastic primer' is more flexible and less likely to crack.

I was specifically referring to the 'car aerosol' range in my original question which seems to have been answered. I guess we'll find out when I slather enamel thinners over the thing and it explodes in my hands :)

• Friendly/supportive 1