Watcombe P4

adriank

The layout of Watcombe is based on that of Watchet when it was a terminus between 1862 and 1874. The track diagram was scanned from Ian Coleby’s excellent book, ‘The Minehead Branch’ and imported into Templot. The main approach road was drawn as a transition curve to fit the available space and the imported image wrapped along it.

I modified the layout somewhat, moving the engine shed road and associated cross-over closer to the platform. It then seemed a pity not to extend it to provide a bay platform and have the engine shed road coming back off it. The cross-over was re-modelled as a pair of double slips to provide more flexible access to the turntable and a more convenient run-round loop. The signal box was moved to the end of the platform.

The layout is just under nineteen feet long and is on three levels. The approach road, goods reception and platforms are on the upper level. A siding off the reception road descends to the middle level on which the scissors cross-over and sidings serving the cattle pen and end-loading are located. A further line then descends down to the harbour. As on the prototype, this arrangement creates some operational challenges.

I‘ve been working on the layout for about four years and apart from ballasting, trackwork on the station and middle boards is complete. Part of my aim in building a layout of this scope and complexity was to improve my own skills and my guiding principle has been ‘if you don’t like it, do it again’. Inevitably, some things I once felt very happy about look decidedly dodgy now that my skills have improved and I shall at some stage rebuild the pointwork on the station board.

I’ll post some photographs in the near future. This is my third P4 project; the first was trivial and the second was abandoned because of a house move so I’m really quite new to most of this.

Track Plan 4.svg

• Like 6