Are 'WW2/1940s' events the only pull that heritage railways have to get bums on seats these days?

• RMweb Premium
On 14/07/2024 at 17:04, Phil Parker said:

people whose only experience is highly sanitised war movies.

Like how the Americans cracked the enigma code............😄

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

No, it wasn't the fact I had to suspend disbelief during the events, it was the journey back to Kidderminster on the last service from Bridgnorth that turned me off going again.  A group of boozed up pensioners sat behind us and decided to tunelessly attempt to sing wartime songs using an out of tune banjo.  I say attempt because they would launch into a Vera Lynn or Gracie Fields ditty, and once past the first line, forget the words. 

I suspect that bit wasn't entirely off the mark for WW2 realism - my father certainly talked of wartime drunkenness in Newcastle while he was in the Home Guard before being old enough to join the RAF.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I wouldn't pick Oliver Cromwell to haul the Royal Train!

Oh come on where’s your sense of humour? 😜

Edited by Matt37268
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 009 micro modeller said:

This is really off-topic but has anyone ever named a loco after Charles I?

Amazingly enough, a GWR “King” class. 😆

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fishoutofwater said:

Certainly not whilst the reigning monarch is named Charles.

That does suggest the possibility of a major public event that might draw a crowd. You'd only get to do it once though...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Matt37268 said:

I think this is just a lazy post to cause some mischief. There are other family friendly events out, why doesn’t the OP take a look? 

The OP lives in Canada, regularly posts questions that generate pages of discussion.......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

The OP lives in Canada, regularly posts questions that generate pages of discussion.......

ICBA to check but has the OP posted again?

Any thanks for the info for example?

I'd think if I was asking and got many answers I'd hide the thread (can't delete them these days?) or ask for the thing to be locked as 'discussion' so often wanders off into a different Universe and wastes space. (see what I didn't do very well there?)

Phi

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I'd think if I was asking and got many answers I'd hide the thread (can't delete them these days?) or ask for the thing to be locked as 'discussion' so often wanders off into a different Universe and wastes space.

I think the issue in this thread is that the answer to the specific title question is (as others have already pointed out) fairly obviously ‘no’, just by looking at a few heritage railway websites, and the premise of the question assumes, possibly incorrectly, that 1940s events are done solely to make money (when there might be plenty of other reasons for a heritage sector organisation to do them), so inevitably the discussion has wandered.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

I was thinking of ‘the Jacobite’ in reference to the kings mentioned by @rogerzilla, though the historical link probably isn’t quite good enough for the joke to work.

There do seem to be a lot of people who need jokes and references spelling out to them.  Perhaps we need more historic re-enactments to educate people…

Over and out. (FWIW I agree that this thread has run its course, and then some.)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

I wasn’t aware that the issue with the volunteering group at Levisham was related to the war weekend? And probably best left well alone here anyway, there’s another thread for that.

Definitely not related, but the Moors confirmed the group was booked until the last minute when they told them they weren't

• Like 1

I don't get out to places as much as I used to - the friend I travelled with has a lot going on - but live only a small journey from the East Lancashire Railway which, despite differing views from a select few dreary bores, does quite well for itself with it's various events.

Most days I've spent there have been on regular weekends but there were always a few chaps hanging around: getting their miles in behind a favourite loco, perusing the shops or just having a pint with a mate.. money being spent at the railway, which is the important bit. Perhaps not as much income as a themed day and certainly not a gala, but you won't have full trains every day.

The ELR does offer a fair few themed days that turn the railway into a theme park to some, but they do make some damn good money which keeps the railways operational and their locomotives preserved. Day out with Thomas makes considerable bank even after the chunk that Mattel demand in licensing. Most notable are the ELR's diner services which are truly exemplary and popular, even to folks outside our realm of interest. Bluey can come as she pleases as far as I'm concerned, as can the ale trails.

The 1940s/war weekends are barely even thought about compared to, say, the overbooked Santa Specials. I went to one 1940s do in Heywood some years ago and decided that they're not for me; a lot of them approach the period in a fashion much too whimsical for my comfort but the rest - such as the aforementioned evacuee experiences - do a great job of getting visitors not just on board, but actively involved, therefore creating future punters and keeping the railways going. I can't complain being that it helps keep iconic locos ticking over and future restorations possible.

Unnecessary thread IMO. Far from the only pull a railway has: the coaches were truly crammed at the last ELR diesel gala, that guest class 70 for example was seriously popular.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Morgenergy said:

The 1940s/war weekends are barely even thought about compared to, say, the overbooked Santa Specials. I went to one 1940s do in Heywood some years ago and decided that they're not for me; a lot of them approach the period in a fashion much too whimsical for my comfort but the rest - such as the aforementioned evacuee experiences - do a great job of getting visitors not just on board, but actively involved, therefore creating future punters and keeping the railways going.

And they’re educational, perhaps giving the lines involved a purpose beyond/in addition to being a hobby or a tourist attraction.

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Agree 1

I do know there are some railways that either have or are going to host classic car get togethers. There does seem to be quite a cross over between rail enthusiasts and classic car ones.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 16/07/2024 at 13:41, RichardT said:

There do seem to be a lot of people who need jokes and references spelling out to them.  Perhaps we need more historic re-enactments to educate people…

Over and out. (FWIW I agree that this thread has run its course, and then some.)

Educate them of what ?

we are facing real possibility of war in Europe in not too distant future. Whilst Putin is busy running down his soviet era stocks of short and medium range missiles, his long range stuff hasnt been relevent to the current fight.

Should this come our way ICBMs, Drones are going to land before steam trains full of kids in 1930’s costumes with picnic hampers will escape our cities. There wont be no spitfires defending our coast line, and given soviet levels of accuracy its pure pot luck if your hiding in the countryside or a city should it land.

Educating kids how to survive without electricity, running water, mobile phones, cars and to use mechanics, compass,  recognise edible foods is probably more helpful.

I was at an IT conference in Warsaw last month, at days end, whilst enjoying the beers, the organisers brought in first aid trainers, how to survive rolling in a car, surviving impact force and how to behave in active shooting situations…. It was startling and eye opening….

But then they are next door to an active warzone and re-enactments of the warsaw uprising isn’t really a thing right now.

The scary thing is the Germans are even less prepared than we are, live in ignorant bliss and total lack of preparedness. They cant even fall back on a ww2 rationbook story as beyond Berlin for the most part history is washed under the table.

very little of these events themselves are in any way accurate when your looking at a BR lined Black 5MT with a rag tag of Blue/ Maroon mk1 or mk2’s surrounded by unexplainable Nazi soldiers who just happen to be there with a mancunian accent eating pies rather than wurst.

Lets not pretend WW2 themed events are about education, its about making money, nothing else…

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Lets not pretend WW2 themed events are about education, its about making money, nothing else…

Is history not part of education? We are told Henry Ford thought not, but....

• Like 1