I think I’ve done something rather rash

15 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Continental wagons operating in Britain were far more common that modellers (and manufacturer's) accept https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ferrywagons  And they go right back to the 1920s. 

Paul

We used to have varying types on the Lynn job. Ranged from French gas tanks, Italian Ferry Vans to various Cargowaggons and Ferrywaggons. There were also numerous continental wagons that remained confined to the UK like the Urea wagons etc.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Well, as wagons are limited for diesel era at the moment, I have had to bring the Dover train ferry into play.

to top up the rolling stock fleet I have purchased a few of these wagons as they came across on the ferry via Dover, and there’s even one pictured on Flickr with sets of wagon wheels, so a no brainer really

IMG_6762.jpeg.fd7a7f0206264f2588a913c7b518305a.jpeg

IMG_6763.jpeg.a0e62e960c00f3765dfa1934c1070b3c.jpeg

I've gone with some Arnold polybulks for mine as they are reminiscent of what we used to work, a blue 47 or Speedlink varient will be a nice addition one day.

• Like 1

Although the books published on the Barrowmore site only capture the possible fleets at a point in time it did take three books to show them http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/Book_01_Issue.pdf  http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/Book_02_Issue.pdf   http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/Book_03_Issue.pdf

The loss of the Parkestone and Dover ferries was a blow to the diversity of wagons as the Chunnel was more limited in acceptability of loads - no dangerous chemicals for example which provided a lot of very interesting wagons. 

Paul

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/Parkestoneharwichferry

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Continental wagons operating in Britain were far more common that modellers (and manufacturer's) accept https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ferrywagons  And they go right back to the 1920s. 

Paul

As I've posted elsewhere, it's one golden opportunity that TT:120 really opens up. Having witnessed for myself operations in the West Mids in the 80s & 90s involving Ferry chemical tankers, replicating such ops in TT:120 would be a real temptation for me - when, or if, suitable locos & rolling stock become available.

Edited by F-UnitMad
Spelling as usual..!!

Posted (edited)

That’s a disappointment 

got home tested the loco, completely dead.

open the tender, the blanking plate is flapping around loose. 
no drama, refit and reassemble 

place it on the track and the loco runs like a kangaroo.

i notice the L/H rear coupling rod is assembled backwards. Shouldn’t make it lurch though.

turn the loco upside down, apply power to the tender wheels and the result can be seen what the problem is. Wheels aren’t fitted correctly on 2 axles causing a massive wobble 🤬

so this is incorrectly assembled in the factory 

for some cranky r3ason 8 can’t upload the video on here of it running, but it’s on Facebook 

IMG_6108.jpeg.9a47b0b24e11b0a47bc347f77816fa10.jpeg

Edited by 47606odin
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 47606odin changed the title to I think I’ve done something rather rash
4 hours ago, 47606odin said:

i notice the L/H rear coupling rod is assembled backwards. Shouldn’t make it lurch though.

turn the loco upside down, apply power to the tender wheels and the result can be seen what the problem is. Wheels aren’t fitted correctly on 2 axles causing a massive wobble 🤬

Time to send it back then. ☹️

On 30/07/2024 at 07:58, 47606odin said:

That’s a disappointment 

got home tested the loco, completely dead.

open the tender, the blanking plate is flapping around loose. 
no drama, refit and reassemble 

for some cranky r3ason 8 can’t upload the video on here of it running, but it’s on Facebook 

IMG_6108.jpeg.9a47b0b24e11b0a47bc347f77816fa10.jpeg

That's terrible quality control. Did it come directly from Hornby?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 47606odin said:

And back on a positive note….todays delivery

IMG_6109.jpeg.1574ec333b05eaf6a946646933904753.jpeg

IMG_6110.jpeg.1c5016168990f7e4e799e59fc92327ff.jpeg

IMG_6111.jpeg.fdbcfd19e77c81f417409d6f49e2c445.jpeg

the 50 sounds good for a small speaker, obviously not as great as my 0 gauge log 😜 

Shame about the issue with the A4, but these look fantastic.  Very tempting!  Keith,

51 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

They do look tempting!! Very much sitting on my hands, now. 😬

1 hour ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Shame about the issue with the A4, but these look fantastic.  Very tempting!  Keith,

they are very nice indeed. Unfortunately they haven’t included the magnetic couplers which they have with the Mk2’s which are brilliant (and if you know the orientation of buckeyes and look closely you can see which side is the top, although Hornby could have put a dimple or something on the shaft to show it)

anyway. I have added Dapol easi shunt couplers on the HAA’s and locos, and also on the mk2’s outer end, and ordered another 3 packs. They are great and do look better size wise than the normal couplers and 10 times easier to uncouple. I’ll use them on the ends of rakes of coaches, but wagons will have them both ends of each of them for shunting

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 47606odin said:

The total of today’s deliveries 

IMG_6786.jpeg.6abc7460ac36a506673bd6cf6e1f202e.jpeg

Wow!  I usually try and spread that much over almost a fortnight!  I note the recent subtle change of thread title - experience tells me it’s often a sign that an author is planning further ahead?  Just wondered, Keith.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Wow!  I usually try and spread that much over almost a fortnight!  I note the recent subtle change of thread title - experience tells me it’s often a sign that an author is planning further ahead?  Just wondered, Keith.

yes, I returned the thread title back to the original, as I am still creating a stockpile rather than starting the layout build, as I have 2 started layouts so need to square them up a bit, because my wife keeps asking me where it will go lol. I will then start a layout build thread, probably in the general build area to get as many people to see TT in use as I hope more people will be persuaded to look in there

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1