I think I’ve done something rather rash

Oh dear, well, I’ve done it now!

having always been conscious of the gauge vs scale issues 00 has, and also to a lesser degree N, I went up to 0 as it was pretty close too, and I was initially keen to possibly in the future dip my toes in TT:120, joined the club, but then Hornby refused to sell directly to Australia due to anti monopoly complaints from the Australian importer/distributor, which ironically created a monopoly in Australia boosting prices, I decided nope. It’s not for me.

Well, I’ve bought an 08, in BR blue, at expensive Australian prices

I therefore have officially joined the ranks of TT:120, but will be limiting my purchases to BR blue mid 70’s at this stage so I could still run older BR 4 wheel wagons like vanfits potentially 

when the HST sets come out, looks like I’ll have to get one so I have track for the 08 to run on.

Id look at Peco rather than Hornby track, seeing as the big plastic frogs on the points is like going back to the 1970’s, but is Tillig track better than Peco?

but there we go, I blame the likes of Peachy for this….now how to I get it past the Missus……

Edited by 47606odin
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Ah yes, those frogs. As I posted elsewhere, I bought a couple of track packs to use as a test oval for Triang TT stock and thought, as I had them, I'd see if I could make the points accept Triang wheel standards. The answer was that, with a few minutes judicious filing, yes they could. However, no amount of fiddling and faffing would make a Triang 6-coupled chassis go through at low speed without an annoying stutter (at best) as it passed over the huge plastic expanse.

Which is a pity as, compared to Peco, the Hornby points are very attractively priced.

To be fair, they may work better with new TT120 stock. These days I'd expect all (driven anyway)-wheel pickup, rather than Triang's maximum of two axles.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

Well, I now have a pair of Mk2F’s for the 08 to shunt…once I have track.

perhaps I could run my N gauge in “the distance”

Cue Father Ted references!!

Mike.

• Funny 5

1 hour ago, 47606odin said:

but is Tillig track better than Peco?

I haven't had Peco track in hand yet, but Tillig's is just fine, functionally. Of course, it's based on the appearance of German track, so that may or may not be an issue for you. But functionally I've had no problems with Tillig track, or Kuehn's track either (which is now Roco, since Roco bought Kuehn up).

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Hi @47606odin, while it will be good to see how this develops, where does this leave the Z Scale project?  Just wondered - like yourself, I have a number of interests, but am trying to resist spreading myself too thinly again, Keith.

I have one small Z gauge layout, I have to finish my O gauge depot, I have finally got all the materials for that, and parsley sidings to video, and I haven’t started my Germany in the garden yet either lol

and that’s ignoring my 7.25” stuff.

i do lots of planning before doing, but it does happen. Okay the disadvantage of having lots of projects finishing one, but if you get stuck you can drop onto something else for a while

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Hi @47606odin, while it will be good to see how this develops, where does this leave the Z Scale project?  Just wondered - like yourself, I have a number of interests, but am trying to resist spreading myself too thinly again, Keith.

I think that's a problem for many of us Keith. I'm a narrow gauge modeller, but I fancy trying a small standard gauge project. I'm currently weighing up whether to go N Gauge or TT120, and it's really hard to make a decision. I think I'd almost certainly go TT if there was slightly more available. So I'm contemplating hanging fire 6 months or so to see what the situation is. 

15 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Well, I’ve bought an 08, in BR blue, at expensive Australian prices

What did Oscar Wilde say? "I can resist anything but temptation" 😜 

19 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

I’ve pre ordered the HST set, so now to wait for the 31, 37 and hopefully 47…

This sounds like a slippery slope.... 😂 I've pre-ordered a green one. I've never pre-ordered anything in my life before... 

Edited by south_tyne
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, south_tyne said:

I think that's a problem for many of us Keith. I'm a narrow gauge modeller, but I fancy trying a small standard gauge project. I'm currently weighing up whether to go N Gauge or TT120, and it's really hard to make a decision. I think I'd almost certainly go TT if there was slightly more available. So I'm contemplating hanging fire 6 months or so to see what the situation is. 

What did Oscar Wilde say? "I can resist anything but temptation" 😜 

This sounds like a slippery slope.... 😂 I've pre-ordered a green one. I've never pre-ordered anything in my life before... 

Pre ordering is easy, waiting for it without changing my mind is the hard part.

i have built up a collection of N but the frustrations I have with that is trains coming apart due to drooping couplers, so I have stopped buying more N until I see how the TT compares

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 13/07/2024 at 09:41, 47606odin said:

but is Tillig track better than Peco?

On 13/07/2024 at 10:54, britishcolumbian said:

Tillig's is just fine, functionally. Of course, it's based on the appearance of German track, so that may or may not be an issue for you. But functionally I've had no problems with Tillig track

One thing to watch out for is that Tillig points don't have locking springs so you'd need to motorise them or find some other way of locking them into position (i.e. 'big hand in the sky' won't work with the points straight out of the box). Another thing is that the tie bar connection to the switch rails seems a little 'wobbly' (the tie bar seems to be quite loose) so a slow-moving point motor or a servo might be better than a solenoid type. Neither of these things are insurmountable - they're just different to Hornby and Peco points.

On the plus side the range includes curved points, double slips (two sizes, I think) and a 3-way point. The points have a solid aluminium(?) frog, which can be electrified (my double slip has plastic frogs but I think I read that they are moving to metal frogs throughout the range).

There is also flexi and all track is directly compatible with Hornby's (IIRC Hornby based theirs on Tillig's).

Many moons ago I started a thread with some comparisons photos of the points - it was before the small radius Peco points came out, I think. Unfortunately I didn't get around to posting anything about the double slip or the flexi.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

So I have ordered the 5 mark 3’s that are not in the HST set, so how come there’s only 7 in blue and grey as I thought the Eastern sets were 8 coach formations?

anyway, the race is on

what will arrive first, the class 08 from over east here in Australia, or the Mk2’s from Rails, or the Mk3’s from Kernows….place your bets please 🤐

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Well, today I have purchased a couple of 3D printed sheds and a few bits of Peco trackwork, as it looks finer than the Tillig and Hornby stuff, at least for a little stand alone diorama type layout.

So as a parallel build to my Parsley sidings Inglenook in OO old school type layout, I’ll build a small carriage and wagon maintenance shed facility Inglenook type layout. I shall call it “Staydatholme C&W depot” 

I know I can’t run a 7 coach HST on it, but I’ll still have my Hornby oval for that to start with….when it arrives

So, to make it a Fox in the hen house thread, do I make the layout/diorama build a thread in layout topics so it’ll be visible to people who come on the forum, but don’t necessarily come into the TT:120 section making the scale more visible? Is this a potential issue where people don’t see TT:120 layouts being built because they don’t look in here so then say no one is doing it?

Edited by 47606odin
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 47606odin changed the title to I think I’ve done something rather rash now AKA Staydatholme C&W depot
11 hours ago, 47606odin said:

So, to make it a Fox in the hen house thread, do I make the layout/diorama build a thread in layout topics so it’ll be visible to people who come on the forum, but don’t necessarily come into the TT:120 section making the scale more visible? Is this a potential issue where people don’t see TT:120 layouts being built because they don’t look in here so then say no one is doing it?

I had a similar conundrum with my 3mm scale High Peak Junction layout, 3mm scale specific area or layouts thread? I opted for layouts thread as that is like Piccadilly Circus in the rush hour whereas at the time, the 3mm area was like an old west town in the desert with tumbleweed blowing thought - there is more going on there now I might add, but to me, the layout thread is for showcasing any layout in any scale, but it favours the "minority" scales like 3mm to be seen there.

TT120 is huge already compared to 3mm but you will get more 'footfall' in the layouts area, so in my opinion better promote TT120. Only slight thing is if its very small, equally it could go into the micros, dioramas section. But, ultimately, do what you feel most comfortable with, and best of luck with the build, and above all enjoy it and have fun.

Cheers

TT100 Diesels

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 15/07/2024 at 08:08, 47606odin said:

So, to make it a Fox in the hen house thread, do I make the layout/diorama build a thread in layout topics so it’ll be visible to people who come on the forum, but don’t necessarily come into the TT:120 section making the scale more visible?

Exactly as @TT100 Diesels said above, this is why I chose the "Micro Layout & Dioramas" section for my Jubilee Point build, the 3mm area can indeed be a bit "tumbleweed" at times whereas the layout section has a lot more footfall overall, and my 3mm chums still drop by anyway.

Either way I look forward to seeing it wherever it ends up. :^)

Peter.

• Like 3

Well, I wasn’t going to, but now I have. Rails had a couple of pre owned class 50’s sound fitted, for £175! 
unfortunately 50040 and a couple more HAA’s fell in my basket. 

So I now have an ex Doncaster works refurbished 50 on test lol. At least it’s a loco to put on my Mk2’s

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, 47606odin said:

Rails had a couple of pre owned class 50’s sound fitted, for £175! 

Pre-owned..??!!?? Already??? Wow, someone had a quick change of mind!! 😱🤯

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Pre-owned..??!!?? Already??? Wow, someone had a quick change of mind!! 😱🤯

their loss is my gain so to speak. Also the issue with being online at 2am with weakend self control 😂

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Well, as wagons are limited for diesel era at the moment, I have had to bring the Dover train ferry into play.

to top up the rolling stock fleet I have purchased a few of these wagons as they came across on the ferry via Dover, and there’s even one pictured on Flickr with sets of wagon wheels, so a no brainer really

IMG_6762.jpeg.fd7a7f0206264f2588a913c7b518305a.jpeg

IMG_6763.jpeg.a0e62e960c00f3765dfa1934c1070b3c.jpeg

• Like 2

I think a casual observer is much less likely to notice a non ferry flat compared to a non ferry van.  By way of example, here's a Hornby 50 next to a Busch flat and a Tillig van.

PXL_20240724_115901687.jpg.6bc596bb01360bbb8bb496533595c597.jpg

PXL_20240724_115832188.jpg.2cd09a4d2b9369fad9908249d382bd46.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

32 minutes ago, Taigatrommel said:

I think a casual observer is much less likely to notice a non ferry flat compared to a non ferry van.  By way of example, here's a Hornby 50 next to a Busch flat and a Tillig van.

PXL_20240724_115901687.jpg.6bc596bb01360bbb8bb496533595c597.jpg

PXL_20240724_115832188.jpg.2cd09a4d2b9369fad9908249d382bd46.jpg

I looked at the modern van you have there, but decided against as its definitely to the continental loading gauge. I did find some 4 wheel SNCF vans after I had checked out otherwise I’d have had a couple of those too. the same as the old transfesa ones. Something for a later date

• Like 1