NCE Powercab Transformer help

• RMweb Premium

You are able to buy a replacement NCE transformer from Digitrains Lincoln.

Details on there website and mail order facilities 

Eltel 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

It doesn't have to be NCE specification, there's nothing special about it. All you need is an adaptor that supports no more than approximately 28W and has a 5.5mm centre positive jack. Several sites (and I) recommend a 15V, 2A adaptor. That is slightly overspec at 30W but unless you are running your layout at peak load is unlikely to be an issue. The higher voltage will offset overall voltage drop if you push the PowerCab toward its limits (not so much of an issue if you have boosters).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DC-1520-supply-adaptor-quality-charger/dp/B00ECWZKDE

Edited by AndrueC
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JohnR said:

Another vote for the DCC Concepts version. It provides a little more power than the original NCE one too, which is handy.

Do you not have to make sure that the power supply cannot provide more power than the basic PowerCabs rating otherwise there is the possibility of overloading the handset itself or the cable ?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

Do you not have to make sure that the power supply cannot provide more power than the basic PowerCabs rating otherwise there is the possibility of overloading the handset itself or the cable ?

Yes.  The NCE PowerCab manual states.... Power Cab Specifications: Power Input Requirements: 10-15V regulated DC, 3A maximum.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

I would have thought that the current taken by any device depends on the voltage across it. If you get the voltage correct the device will draw the current it needs according to Ohm's Law. 

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, grriff said:

I would have thought that the current taken by any device depends on the voltage across it. If you get the voltage correct the device will draw the current it needs according to Ohm's Law. 

I suppose the issue is under fault conditions, if the internals of the controller are rated to 3A, if a 5A PSU is used a short on the controller output may lead to magic smoke appearing 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Brian said:

Yes.  The NCE PowerCab manual states.... Power Cab Specifications: Power Input Requirements: 10-15V regulated DC, 3A maximum.

Exactly. The standard NCE transformer just provides 1.8A. The DCC Concepts provides (iirc) 2.5A so still within specification but providing a bit more power that is useful for running more locos, especially sound. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

I suppose the issue is under fault conditions, if the internals of the controller are rated to 3A, if a 5A PSU is used a short on the controller output may lead to magic smoke appearing 

In that case a 3A fuse should be fitted. Just because a PSU is rated at 3A doesn't mean it can't deliver 5A for a short period. 

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, grriff said:

In that case a 3A fuse should be fitted. Just because a PSU is rated at 3A doesn't mean it can't deliver 5A for a short period. 

ZenDesk state that the PowerCab case will start to deform if it dissipates more than 28W - that's why I mentioned it.

For what it's worth I'm currently drawing around an amp when three trains are running with some sound and have 23 lit coaches - all N scale. The cable between the panel and handset is getting slightly warm.

I have a 5A (not NCE) booster on order because I want to take that cable out of the equation as I think that it alone is responsible for a drop of at least one volt at higher currents. I'm not creating power districts - just going to send the PowerCab output into the booster and let the booster do all the heavy lifting.

Edited by AndrueC

On 13/07/2024 at 11:40, JohnR said:

Exactly. The standard NCE transformer just provides 1.8A. The DCC Concepts provides (iirc) 2.5A so still within specification but providing a bit more power that is useful for running more locos, especially sound. 

The DCCconcepts unit is 2A @18v.

We have been using these on our test and demo Powercab systems for a number of years with no issues whatsoever.

Best Regards.

The DCCconcepts Team

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, DCCconcepts said:

The DCCconcepts unit is 2A @18v.

We have been using these on our test and demo Powercab systems for a number of years with no issues whatsoever.

Best Regards.

The DCCconcepts Team

Apologies! All I know is it provides a bit more oomph and is highly recommended!

• Like 1