Layout Inspiration Welcome - 00 Gauge - Peco Code 100 Track

Hello!

I've begun building my layout here in Switzerland. The important thing to note, it's not inspired by anywhere or anything i'm just using my imagination to make a layout that's fun to watch trains go around and to have some shunting fun... that's the idea :)

However, i feel it's a bit lame at least, it could be more dynamic... tunnels/heights/platforms/countryside and i really don't know where to start.

I'd been playing with SCARM to just knock the rough layout together.

Some useful dimensions to give you an idea of space; The total width is 3.7metres and depth is 1.25metres. 

Something thats not important to be is for it to be super super realistic. Anyway i am running a mix of swiss and uk loco's and rolling stock so i just want it to be fantasy fun... :) If you're interested in the types of trains i have; a lot of british diesel and modern image passenger stock inc. class 43's class 800's class 66s class 67s and swiss models like their Re 460, SBB Am 843. :)

What I like:

• I really like the two loops that go around - the inner loop is 2nd radius and outer loop is 3rd radius. 
  • I like the way the two loops split into four tracks which allows me to store some longer trains on hold which can be brought out onto the loop easily.
  • One thing i have changed is that the two loops no longer exchange in the right curves, instead four points are used in the middle of the bottom to allow passovers in both directions.

What I'm unsure of;

• I'm intrigued by the idea of making a reversing loop between on the inner lines. I've never built a reversing loop before so i'm sure i'll need some tech to help with that.
  • I wanted to use the middle of the layout for storage of trains en-mass. Utilising both the left and the right so maybe i need to use my 3-turnout point to do this in the loop.

What I'm missing;

• I'm missing some height, i was thinking with the turnout i have un-used in the bottom left, to create a 4th radius curve/2nd radius curve with some height? But will it clear the main-lines if it crosses over in time?
  • Tunnels - i was thinking to box the right side of the layout curves inside a tunnel and having them re-appear in the top.
  • sidings/areas of visual interest - i think i need some less is more pzass? 
  • Stations - i'd love to have a station area, but i think i have placed my four tracks at the bottom of the layout too close together to fit a station in. 

UPDATE: I've naturally been progressing on this since i made the first post, the above still stands true but i have now done the following;

• The outer loop now has an incline starting at the bottom of the layout upward to 3" at the top of the layout
  • The incline is 4% gradient - i've tested some of my locos on it, i had an issue with a class 66 de-rerailing because of the steep move into the incline, i have smoothened this out and all of my locos get up it ok, hauling 6-7 carriages. 
  • With the incline, i want to add a tunnel on the bottom right, which will hide all of the right quadrant into a mountain (sounds fun?) and will have somehow, the outer line appearing through a hole in the mountain top right corner ...
  • this has given me the possibility to add a second layer, so i'm thinking some kind of branch-off from the outer-line upper level towards the middle where i can put an end-station?
  • Then on the lower level i'm thinking in the left quadrant hosting a storage/depot yard area...

Net net, i'm really open minded about how to use the space from pros! to maximise play-factor and have things 'going around' whilst still having multiple trains on/lit up/part of the fun. 

So i'm open to inspiration, ideas, or thoughts. What would you do with 3.7metres x 1.25metres ?

image(2).png.2633b8a8d979da3755de51e8a96d61a1.png

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I'm sure you’ll get a few questions to clarify some aspects.

First, is this layout board sited in such a way that you have access all around it? If not, at 1.25m width, that’s not comfortable/possible to reach across, either when building or maintaining the layout.

Second, is this layout DC or DCC?  Not that it will affect planning the layout but it will affect the wiring implications of particularly the reverse loop, and possibly more than that regarding the number of locos on the track.

Third, I assume this is 00 or HO?

There is a line of thinking that, if this is your first layout, it’s unlikely to be where you end up. Most modellers learn so much early on in the building and operating, that they realise there are some aspects they do/don’t like, so start again. For that reason, you may not want to try to include every feature all at once, because you may end up deconstructing it. Your approach is maybe somewhat unusual, particularly amongst those on this forum. Nothing at all wrong with ‘fun’ modelling (eg trains from different countries) but there may be good intentioned advice which will try to steer your track plan to something more realistic than filling the board with track. This could be defined as the difference between a model railway and a train set. For example, there doesn’t appear to much option for trains to go anywhere, from A to B. That could be from a station to a storage yard (which your bottom loops could be, but if you wish to assemble trains there, then you’ll need access to do so).

Have you seen the vintage books in the Peco 60 Plans for Small Railwayy range? Generally for less space than you have, but easy to expand. You can find such books on eBay etc, and they will give you lots of inspiration.

Ian

• Like 1

I would suggest removing the reverse loop. It makes wiring complex and in you designs case all trains reversed end up in one direction only.  For the next layout consider building it around the walls of your room. You get more railway for the space.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, nswgr1855 said:

I would suggest removing the reverse loop. It makes wiring complex and in you designs case all trains reversed end up in one direction only.  For the next layout consider building it around the walls of your room. You get more railway for the space.

Matti doesn't say whether he will use DC or DCC but if he goes for DCC then there is nothing to fear, electrically, about the reversing loop. A DCC Auto-Reverser is very easy to wire up and will handle the loop in a completely transparent way.

It's difficult to comment on any other aspect of the layout because the normal considerations don't apply.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here's some updates, thank you for the replies!! :)

On 12/07/2024 at 07:19, ITG said:

Hi

I'm sure you’ll get a few questions to clarify some aspects.

First, is this layout board sited in such a way that you have access all around it? If not, at 1.25m width, that’s not comfortable/possible to reach across, either when building or maintaining the layout.

Second, is this layout DC or DCC?  Not that it will affect planning the layout but it will affect the wiring implications of particularly the reverse loop, and possibly more than that regarding the number of locos on the track.

It's in a way where i can get 360 access, however once built (to each extent) i push it back against the wall. so it can pull forward, full walking 360 and then i slot it back into place.

I'm using DCC and the scale is 00 gauge (however i have some h0 scale trains :)).

Some great advice too on the crux of it, i'm learning and absorbing :) i haven't seen those books but i'll see if i can check them out for inspiration too.

Update thinking:

I completely agree on this idea of having somewhere for trains to go to/from. And that's what was missing from the original layout. I've had a stab at designing something like this. The layout is situated 70cm from the floor, so standing up i get a great view at all the depths..

The ideas:

The far left becomes a small shunting/depot area

The middle storage yard becomes a somewhat fiddle/working loco storage - with added decorations to be planned and i may expand to more tracks

The top right 2nd layer, becomes a station capable of fitting approx a HST with 2 locos, 3 carriages. 

The line at the top right that gets hidden out of view, is to store one of my longest trains the class 800

The far right is ideally a mountain that covers the two curved lines and creates some depth around the station area on the 2nd level.

Note: i haven't designed it in, but i have some points that allow each mainline to converse in either direction at the bottom middle area

Just some thoughts :)

image.png.0be75244b30540efdc560762e188d26a.png

image.png.f2a9e9646d3ebd7d04e04481831b1088.png

Edited by Matti

One potential thing to warn you about is that Swiss H0 and British 00 are going to look very odd together.  This is particularly true if you add scenery, buildings, or run them side-by-side.

One reason for this is the British stock will be 4mm scale (1:76), and the Swiss stock 3.5 scale (1:87).  The model British trains will be larger than the model Swiss trains, but in real life the Swiss trains are slightly bigger.

Buildings in Switzerland are typically a different architectural style to those in the UK.

Also, in real life, British trains don't operate into Switzerland, or vice-versa.  Running Swiss and German, French, Italian or Austrian trains is broadly OK because cross-border trains are common.  But Swiss+British will look odd.

At least Swiss trains travel on the left, like those in the UK.

Edited by TonyMay

One trouble with a station inside a loop is that trains can leave the station but then can only reverse back in. Something that is cured by a reversing loop. Crossing lines doesn't solve it but are needed to be incorporated correctly so trains can return to the station

4 hours ago, nswgr1855 said:

For your new plan you have a turnout in a tunnel. Not a good idea as you cannot see which way it is set. I suggest getting a copy of the Peco set track plan book for a first layout. https://peco-uk.com/products/oo-ho-planbook

That is a really good point, (no pun intended). I really like it's position because it forces the track to come out underneath the 2nd floor like another tunnel. Do you think if i got a relay/mimic/signal to inform me on the direction of the switch it would be ok - or - operationally, it causes problems with loco's that may derail or get stuck do you see any issue there? If so, Perhaps i will move this to the opposite side, the bottom, and have the storage yard coming up from the bottom right, and make a reverse loop, to @RobinofLoxley point, to enable trains to turn around on the inner line and make their way back to the station.

One trouble that you need to look out for @Matti is maintaining gauge, or separation between tracks. If you don't do this your layout will look very strange, if not immediately, then certainly after a bit of time. I'm sure you are at the early stages of track planning or getting familiar with trackplanning software, but in your latest drawing while the tracks are parallel on the right hand side, everywhere else they are not. One particular reason is that there are two possible separations, one based on Setrack geometry, and which may apply to the standard curves you have used, and the other to Streamline geometry, which applies when these specific turnouts are used, for example in crossings and junctions, that also determine track separation.

Personally I would try to use setrack curves for the loop parts but Streamline turnouts, which operate to different gauges. making them work together isnt easy but can be done. See the plan below which was drafted based on how the first posted plan looked.

To answer your question about the concealed turnout, yes you can make it tell you what its position is remotely but you still need to be able to access the turnout to deal with derailments. The sidings that are reached from it are all dead end, so they trap a locomotive. At the minimum they need a headshunt which allows a train to be reversed in, see what I posted below. 

Matti doodle.jpg

• Like 2

Why not have a high level terminus continuous run and reverse loop.

Screenshot (30).png

Edited by DCB
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/07/2024 at 01:45, DCB said:

Why not have a high level terminus continuous run and reverse loop.

Screenshot (30).png

I really love this suggestion, its creative and playful - it's really really neat - Something like this - i have the option to expand to it in the future i will need to learn a lot more with this first layout using double slips and crossovers but i'm going to mentally snapshot this as i think about expansion (i haven't told the wife yet... one thing at time :D) 

On 15/07/2024 at 22:35, RobinofLoxley said:

One trouble that you need to look out for @Matti is maintaining gauge, or separation between tracks. If you don't do this your layout will look very strange, if not immediately, then certainly after a bit of time. I'm sure you are at the early stages of track planning or getting familiar with trackplanning software, but in your latest drawing while the tracks are parallel on the right hand side, everywhere else they are not. One particular reason is that there are two possible separations, one based on Setrack geometry, and which may apply to the standard curves you have used, and the other to Streamline geometry, which applies when these specific turnouts are used, for example in crossings and junctions, that also determine track separation.

Personally I would try to use setrack curves for the loop parts but Streamline turnouts, which operate to different gauges. making them work together isnt easy but can be done. See the plan below which was drafted based on how the first posted plan looked.

To answer your question about the concealed turnout, yes you can make it tell you what its position is remotely but you still need to be able to access the turnout to deal with derailments. The sidings that are reached from it are all dead end, so they trap a locomotive. At the minimum they need a headshunt which allows a train to be reversed in, see what I posted below. 

Matti doodle.jpg

I totally see what you mean, and i also started to notice that when i was looking at the straight sections in the bottom middle of the layout. This i've started to correct i just cannot find (in my local swiss shops) set track curves, i wish i could as it would make laying the track a metric ton easier.. so one thing i have accepted is that my curves wont be perfect - but i will try to maintain gauge between them. This is also a really neat layout idea occupying the space. thank you!