The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Electric push bikes.

JZ

10 hours ago, ColinK said:

I’ve done 2,500 miles on mine with only one problem - a rear wheel puncture.  Getting the rear wheel off to replace the inner tube was so difficult I had to take it back to their workshop.

Does your bike have the motor mounted within the rear wheel?  I opted for a mid-drive motor when I bought my eMTB.  That layout has benefits in terms of weight distribution and bike handling (though rear wheel mounted motors are still preferable to front wheel mounted in that respect), but also because everything about the bike apart from the motor and chainwheel is basically the same as an ordinary bicycle, so maintenance and repair tasks are the same.  I've replaced the chain & rear cassette when they became worn beyond their service limits, replaced the crank arms when I managed to strip the thread on the self-extracting bolt on the drive side (my error), and upgraded the front & rear hydraulic disc brakes, and all using the same tools and techniques as on my non-e bikes.

(I once found myself with a similar problem to yours when I got a rear wheel puncture and discovered that I'd left the 'key' for my locking QR axle at home.  Fortunately I had my puncture repair patches with me and I was able to get the tyre off the rim with the wheel still in place, and get the tube out far out enough to locate the puncture and fix it.  Since then I've always carried repair patches, as well as a spare tube, just in case I manage to do something stupid like that again...)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Don't know if we've had this one on here previously, but it is an e-bike - honestly!

gmmTZHdl.jpg.2943add8717f1df9da59d7f6e375fc33.jpg

Good sized battery.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I think in fairness that delivery riders are a law unto themselves whether on an e-bike or a regular push bike.

They were all using moped type motorcycles with "L" plates until these e bikes appeared and the changeover was fairly rapid, maybe 2 or three months from all mopeds to all e-bikes.

This is in the centre of Birmingham, the suburbs will probably take a lot longer as the competition for business amomgst riders is less cut-throat.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Does your bike have the motor mounted within the rear wheel?  I opted for a mid-drive motor when I bought my eMTB.  That layout has benefits in terms of weight distribution and bike handling (though rear wheel mounted motors are still preferable to front wheel mounted in that respect), but also because everything about the bike apart from the motor and chainwheel is basically the same as an ordinary bicycle, so maintenance and repair tasks are the same.  I've replaced the chain & rear cassette when they became worn beyond their service limits, replaced the crank arms when I managed to strip the thread on the self-extracting bolt on the drive side (my error), and upgraded the front & rear hydraulic disc brakes, and all using the same tools and techniques as on my non-e bikes.

(I once found myself with a similar problem to yours when I got a rear wheel puncture and discovered that I'd left the 'key' for my locking QR axle at home.  Fortunately I had my puncture repair patches with me and I was able to get the tyre off the rim with the wheel still in place, and get the tube out far out enough to locate the puncture and fix it.  Since then I've always carried repair patches, as well as a spare tube, just in case I manage to do something stupid like that again...)

My e-bike has a Bosch motor in the centre round the pedals.  The problems getting the back wheel off are removing the chain case, disconnecting the brakes, then almost impossible while on the road -  there are torque sensors which have to be removed before you can get the rear wheel out.  These have to be removed and fitted in certain ways which I  struggled to understand even at home watching how to do it on Youtube.  If you can get the tyre off the rim, find the puncture and put a patch over it, you can probably fix it on the road.

The puncture had a unexpected ending.  I pushed the bike heading towards a bus stop, hoping to get it home on the bus (as I work for the bus company I expected the driver would let me and bike on).  However, as I reached the road one of our coaches appeared driven by the boss.  He pulled up, I put the bike in the underfloor lockers.  He was driving a new schoolbus route, so I was able to learn the new route.

19 minutes ago, ColinK said:

My e-bike has a Bosch motor in the centre round the pedals.  The problems getting the back wheel off are removing the chain case, disconnecting the brakes, then almost impossible while on the road -  there are torque sensors which have to be removed before you can get the rear wheel out.

That sounds horribly complicated for a mid drive - my on Giant ebike the only issue, like any bike, is releasing the chain from the cassette. Mid drives are more stable as the weight of the motor is where the heaviest thing on the bike would be anyway - you, and are typically quoted as being better at climbing. That was proven to me as I followed a rear wheel drive which was fine on the relative level but shot past as soon as the road went upwards without me particularly increasing the use of the motor more than I would normally do.

On 12/07/2024 at 16:36, Cwmtwrch said:

If it is a motor vehicle, and you don't register it, tax it, and have the necessary licence and insurance you can't legally use it except on private land with permission. If you do you can use it anywhere you can use any motor vehicle, as far as I know, which does not include a cycle path.

Even on a motorway, or in places like the Tyne/Mersey Tunnels?

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

places like the Mersey Tunnels?

I’ve cycled through the Mersey tunnel! 

admittedly it was closed for a cycle event but at least I can say I’ve done it, it’s good run riding down to the bottom then there’s the sudden realisation you’ve got the climb back out again, not so bad when you first go though at the start of the ride, less fun coming back after 52 miles around the Wirral!

9F0535FB-9167-47EB-B96F-381D49C737E8-1088-000000AFFC94DE1B.jpeg.3c9fde0461865cf9da89984ca932a598.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Picked up the bike the other day. Due to the weather and cricket, not done more than a couple of shakedown runs. Yesterday's was a bit longer, about 3 miles. Surprised how much of a boost you get, even in step one, not needed 2 or 3 yet. Yesterday's run was marred by an accident. My granddaughter, on her first run on my daughter's old bike, managed to run into the back of me and fall off. She suffered a few grazes to her arm and ankle, but the brave little soldier that she is, after a few tears, got herself up and pressed on.

453512731_10164076563919012_5895440525382492254_n.jpg.00fa05e1ea9199de8ce32fad312a47b6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1