Old railway magazines.

• RMweb Premium

Railway World, Trains Illustrated,  MRN, Model Raily Constructer. Railway Modeller. Must clear loft of all these magazines collected over 40 years. Some of them will be a bit musty having been stored in the loft. Collection only from Stockport.  

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, airnimal said:

Railway World, Trains Illustrated,  MRN, Model Raily Constructer. Railway Modeller. Must clear loft of all these magazines collected over 40 years. Some of them will be a bit musty having been stored in the loft. Collection only from Stockport.  

From recent personal experience - you'll probably end up taking them to the local recycling centre.

I had to laboriously post 650 kg. of magazines through the narrow slot of the paper container!

CJI.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

After trying to dispose of my lifetime collection of magazines I am facing up to modern reality that they are all going to end up in the recycling bin. Having tried to give them to different clubs and societies I realise that I have to accept that no one wants them. I asked my friend who is a member at his local club would they like them to sell them at their annual exhibition to raise money for the club he said he would ask the librarian. He called back and said the librarian was putting his own collection in the recycling.  I think that says volumes for the state of play. I will give it to Saturday and if no one comes forward I will bin the lot. This off course leaves my better half gloating because she has been going on at me for forever to do just that. 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

The Vintage Carriage Trust seems to do a healthy business in second hand mags. They might be prepared to collect, given they are only 55 miles away?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 33C said:

Surreptitiously leave them in hospital and doctors waiting areas to spread the word....

No chance - since Covid, magazines are regarded as a source of cross-infection; not allowed! 😟

CJI.

• Informative/Useful 1

58 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

No chance - since Covid, magazines are regarded as a source of cross-infection; not allowed! 😟

CJI.

However, on a recent visit to the dentist I found a stack of gardening and classic car magazines in the waiting room. Next time I might take along some of my surplus collection; the models advertised in them are certainly more affordable than the Bentleys etc advertised in the classic car mags, unless you are a dentist of course!

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1

33 minutes ago, Deeps said:

However, on a recent visit to the dentist I found a stack of gardening and classic car magazines in the waiting room. Next time I might take along some of my surplus collection; the models advertised in them are certainly more affordable than the Bentleys etc advertised in the classic car mags, unless you are a dentist of course!

Yes, my surgery, dentist and hospital waiting rooms have exactly the same garden and classic car mags! Is it the same guy/gal sneaking them in?

Edited by 33C
Added detail.
  • Like 1

Many years ago, my sister managed a small clothes shop, and they had a waiting area for husbands. As one of my early articles was published in BRM, she put a copy on the coffee table there. A husband started reading it, and when his wife had decided it was time to go, she was told he'd just finish the article he was engrossed in.

By the time he finished, the dress bill had gone up over £130!

• Like 2

I took several boxes of magazines to the Vintage Carriage trust, they gave me free admission in return. That was a a good few years ago but their website shows they still take donations. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Many years ago, my sister managed a small clothes shop, and they had a waiting area for husbands. As one of my early articles was published in BRM, she put a copy on the coffee table there. A husband started reading it, and when his wife had decided it was time to go, she was told he'd just finish the article he was engrossed in.

I wonder if he became a new railway modeller?