Acrylic paints

I bought some artists acrylic paints from hobby craft and have used them on back scenes and larger areas, but when it comes to using them on smaller objects I just can't get them to cover well; they just don't ike adhering to plastic at all.

Are these paints different in someway to other acrylic paints, such as those by humbrol, tamiya etc?

Thoughts?

Tia

MG

I did the same thing, buying a starter set of acrylic paint in tubes.  The intent was to use it on figures.  I had the same experience.  Back to Tamiya for plastic models.  Can't answer the question, but no harm in experimenting.

John

• RMweb Premium

There are different types of acrylic, eg modelling stuff is totally different to the artists tubes etc.

Lots of existing threads discussing the merits of different brands for modelling.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

There are different types of acrylic, eg modelling stuff is totally different to the artists tubes etc.

Lots of existing threads discussing the merits of different brands for modelling.

That's what I was wondering. Thanks for confirming. 

18 hours ago, brossard said:

I did the same thing, buying a starter set of acrylic paint in tubes.  The intent was to use it on figures.  I had the same experience.  Back to Tamiya for plastic models.  Can't answer the question, but no harm in experimenting.

John

John, 

Glad I wasn't the only one 🫢. It's reassuring, thanks.

Tamiya and probably other makes are not 'true' acrylics as they contain some spirit content, this makes them react similarly to enamels. A true water based acrylic will have trouble adhering to plastics, an undercoat of clear primer should help to fix the problem.

• Informative/Useful 1

Good morning MG,

My 'go to ' for acrylic paint is the Revell Aqua range.

Water based, can be thinned using warm water and brushes cleaned using the same with some washing up liquid.

I always use a suitable spray can primer first, on plastic aircraft and wagon kits, etc.

This is usually Tamiya Fine, but I have used Humbrol and Halfords with no problem.

Humbrol acrylics can be variable in quality.

Cheers, Nigel.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am primarily an aircraft modeller and I have used acrylics exclusively for at least fifteen years after using enamels for the thirty years.  As already stated Tamiya (and Mr Hobby Aqueous Color) use a different base with an alcohol content, if spraying I tend to use their own thinners. 

As stated Humbrol can be a curates egg, although their 'Gen2' is better. Revell once thinned is nice. Vallejo is another range worth looking at. They have recently re formulated their paint and it seems to brush better than it did. It has a vast range of colours, although finding your way around them is not always easy and some matches to FS595 or BSC381c etc are suspect. The Citadel paints are a good range, don't be put off by their silly sounding names. They have some useful colours, and the paint covers well and is sprayable if thinned. If using an airbrush, acrylics will dry on the tip. With 'water based' acrylics I used Winsor and Newton Flow Improver, which seems to help. 

Acrylics need a primer and a clean surface. There is no point priming something and then spending a week handling it with greasy fingers. I also varnish models, as well as giving a nice overall finish, it seals the decals, and protects the paint. 

Painting with acrylics is different from enamels, and with all skills requires patience. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

As mentioned, artist's acrylics are only suitable for use on primed canvas, wood panel or paper.

Below comments for brush painting as I don't spray except rattle can primer.

Model acrylics have a checkered history with several manufacturers and ranges being discontinued over the years.  Humbrol discontinued rail colours, Testors discontinued the Model Master acryl range.  Vallejo has a good range, with notable exceptions (cream or loco green for BR or GWR) is very easy to use but does not dry to a particularly tough finish.  Citadel has a good range and covers well.  Badger has good ranges of MODELflex paints including military, marine and US railroad collours.

Acrylic paint when brushed often requires several coats but dries within minutes so can be over painted quickly.  Most seem to be silk finish but can vary between matt and gloss.  Different brands are not necessarily compatible for mixing but most can be thinned with water.  I have not had any problems using different brands of varnish than base paint but ensure completely dry first.

• Like 2