converting N gauge trackplan to OO gauge

• RMweb Gold

You said that the wall between the two rooms is just studwork covered with plasterboard. Could it be removed?

Will the rooms become dedicated to the railway or do they still have to serve their original purpose as well as hosting the layout? How often would that be?

2 hours ago, WilltheMechanist said:

here's the floorplan with furniture

image.png.fdfdabd3745ff94fd656adf2da31057b.png

green means the item can be moved within the room

blue means the item can be removed from the room

blue green stripes means the item can be moved or replaced with a different version

A little lateral thinking?

I would look at whether the desk (or a different desk) can move to the bedroom, the filing cabinet under it (or replace with a couple of half-height ones if it's a tall 4-drawer (or purge your old files and reduce to a 2-drawer).  I'm sure I need less than half the stuff I've got in my filing cabinet! Bedside table put it on castors and shove it under desk?  A bit unconventional but if you're happy with chest of drawers being in the living room, the wardrobe can presumably go there too.  Between hallway door and where the folding table currently is?  If you have to replace any of the furniture, freecycle can be cheap and useful, though you may well have to wait for something relevant to be offered.

Another option as it's stud wall - punch hole through and put an oval layout across both rooms, perhaps squashed towards the wall.  I'd be a little of nervous of possible heat problems from the radiators, but that can be solved with a little thought.

• RMweb Premium

@WilltheMechanist  you mention that at some point you'll be moving and that you have a layout plan in mind for then?

Would it be possible to make part of this future layout now? If you did that you'd have somewhere to play trains right now and a head start for the future.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, AndyB said:

@WilltheMechanist  you mention that at some point you'll be moving and that you have a layout plan in mind for then?

Would it be possible to make part of this future layout now? If you did that you'd have somewhere to play trains right now and a head start for the future.

unfortunately it would not be feasable to make part of the future layout in this room as the plans for the static caravan involve the layout being a double level with a peninsula for the grade between the two levels, a UK 1950's version of NSmodeler24's ashville district layout if you will.

Edited by WilltheMechanist

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Harlequin said:

You said that the wall between the two rooms is just studwork covered with plasterboard. Could it be removed?

Will the rooms become dedicated to the railway or do they still have to serve their original purpose as well as hosting the layout? How often would that be?

in theory the wall could be removed, but once i move out the rooms are going to be re-purposed into a guest suite and it would be preferred that the wall remains, putting holes in the wall for tracks to run through is accepted however.

the rooms will not be 100% dedicated to the railway as it is still my active bedroom until i move into the static caravan.

33 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Another option as it's stud wall - punch hole through and put an oval layout across both rooms, perhaps squashed towards the wall.  I'd be a little of nervous of possible heat problems from the radiators, but that can be solved

heat problems aren't a major issue in my house, it's a 200 year old manor with an oil fuelled heating system inhabited by people of the "throw another layer of clothes on" mindset so the radiators are rarely used as it is.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, WilltheMechanist said:

out of curiosity, would this layout design by the same person as the pervious one i posted be more feasible to convert to OO gauge?

https://x.com/yayotcha/status/1805214675996746109

I think the main issue with both layouts is that there are tracks in and across the centre of the N gauge board. When scaled up to 00, these cause a board width which is too large to reasonably work across (unless you can position it so that you can access around all 4 sides) and thus prevent you having a rectangular shelf type layout with a central operating well. The problem with placing a solid board with access to all sides is that by definition the total footprint of board plus access becomes even larger.

It might also be worth considering - if you haven’t already - what you’re trying to model, as it seems those two layouts don’t represent a prototypical track plan. They are rather train set in type, which is ok if that’s your choice, but something to be aware of.

Having a look at Peco 60 track plans books (readily available pre-owned) would probably give you a wider range of ideas.

Ian

There is scope for an 00 layout on the footprint of the N gauge one shown,   Bekra Model Railways at Newton Abbott had one about 2ft 6" X 6ft in 00 and I have a similar one planned, Getting stock round the 12" curves is challenging, almost nothing 2000 on RTR can cope so everything has to be modified for more bogie swing etc.   Bekra had a Hornby class 47 running on theirs last time I saw it.  It had been heavily modified according to the owner.  

• RMweb Gold

@WilltheMechanist Draw something yourself that has the features you want and fits in the space that you know is feasible after you've shifted the furniture around.

Gradients are really tricky in small space like this so probably best to keep the track all on the same level to start with.

Minimum radius : 438mm.

Then show us what you've got and we can help you to fix the problems.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Harlequin said:

@WilltheMechanist Draw something yourself that has the features you want and fits in the space that you know is feasible after you've shifted the furniture around.

here's what i have so far when it comes to baseboards.

image.png.7f455c58075904d1ef6dab8b4313bfa1.png

when it comes to curve radius i generally stick to 3rd and 4th radius on mainlines and second on branch lines, though i will use 1st on colliery/industrial lines that are intended for only the smallest 0-4-0 locos and 16t mineral wagons.