Pre-grouping wagon loads

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I think there's evidence for carboys by the wagon-load, packed in straw, or possibly packed in straw in crates, packed in straw?

image.jpeg.6c7c0a915a98d3009a6baccfc11529a7.jpeg

Carboys in straw, sacking (?) and some kind of wire frames, it looks like. From Russell’s GW Appendix, if I remember correctly - I am away from home and can’t check.

Nick.

Edit - sorry, I realise Mikkel has already posted this.

Edited by magmouse
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

So if the total of lions, rhinos and dragons awas just 0.1% of the livestock carried, how many wagons do I need in my model railway's total fleet before I can justify a ducking giraffe? ;-)

The 0.1% figure suggests you need to build 999 general merchandise wagons before you get your 1 giraffe truck, which is a bit daunting. However, giraffes (at least the ducking variety) go one to a wagon, and other livestock goes in multiples. If we assume an average of ten animals to a wagon, then you only need 99 wagons before you can justify a giraffe - much more manageable. Or just build a GWR Monster, specially strengthened for elephants.

Nick.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Just to counter the earlier narrative (including mine) about all the interesting loads being sheeted, here are baskets and sacks without sheets, in what looks like a train in transit:

image.png.436a4dfa7e18e39273d595c153d4a127.png

Photo originally posted here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/113035-more-pre-grouping-wagons-in-4mm-the-d299-appreciation-thread/?do=findComment&comment=5309861

Nick.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Caley Jim said:

Another commodity that was carried in open wagons was large blocks of building stone.

Chalmerswagonmodel.jpg.8fb60446541792ce950455750c5bf1ed.jpg

Jim

And also blocks of quality stone for monumental masons.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

And also blocks of quality stone for monumental masons.

Including slate, from North Wales and elsewhere - also for snooker tables (not quite in Stephen’s “once in a hundred years”, but heading in that direction….).

Nick.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

Caramel wafers have always come naturally sheeted.

20200307_140756_copy_1600x1134.jpg.632e5040900554f71a75d1264f945efa.jpg

Not always!  I was at an event in Viewpark Parish Church a year or so ago and there was a plate of unwrapped caramel wafers.  I said to one of the lady's that it would be rude to come to Viewpark (next to Uddingston) and not have a caramel wafer.  She told me that when Boyd Tunnoch heard that there was a 'do' on in the church he would always send up a box of (unwrapped) caramel wafers!

Jim

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, billbedford said:

Well, that's a Thames barge so the chances are that it is being loaded. 

And frankly stone to Portland would be on a par with coals to Newcastle!

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I thought Thames barges always had a mizzen mast, which seems to be lacking so it is probably another type of sailing barge.  [pedant off]  But that does not cut across the loading observation.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Another commodity that was carried in open wagons was large blocks of building stone.

Chalmerswagonmodel.jpg.8fb60446541792ce950455750c5bf1ed.jpg

Jim

Wouldn't the weight of that much stone be something of an overload for the average 5 plank open rated at maybe 8 or 10 tons?

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

So if the total of lions, rhinos and dragons awas just 0.1% of the livestock carried, how many wagons do I need in my model railway's total fleet before I can justify a ducking giraffe? ;-)

42?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 07/07/2024 at 00:19, Andy Hayter said:

I thought Thames barges always had a mizzen mast, which seems to be lacking so it is probably another type of sailing barge.  [pedant off]  But that does not cut across the loading observation.

Could that be the mizzen mast at the edge of the picture? another in this series has a Thames Barge in the background, as a Medway man I always think of them as Thames and Medway barges. In Bob Childs book " Rochester Sailing Barges of the Victorian Era" he says stone from Portland was a regular cargo.

Edited by fulton
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MartinRS said:

About half-way down the web page here from Railway Wonders of the World you can see an unusual GC open wagon with a 'wire extensions'. I've never seen this modelled or seen this type of open wagon modification in any other photograph.

I'm fairly certain that the N.E.R. used similar wire extensions on some of their open wagons.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, magmouse said:

Including slate, from North Wales and elsewhere - also for snooker tables (not quite in Stephen’s “once in a hundred years”, but heading in that direction….).

Nick.

I think one of the main manufacturers of Snooker tables was based on the L&Y. 

John

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, micklner said:

My C3, cage isn't fixed as they were removable and they were only like this for a few years. Seen alongside a later pattern C2. The 51L kit i believe was the D&S kit. They also did a GN open with a cage. 

20240707_095920_copy_1600x1200.jpg.46f169465618d86ad864cb329061dcb2.jpg

20240707_095926_copy_1600x1062.jpg.68e990dbb5d89913717341346860e03e.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, fulton said:

Could that be the mizzen mast at the edge of the picture? another in this series has a Thames Barge in the background, as a Medway man I all ways think of them as Thames and Medway barges. In Bob Childs book " Rochester Sailing Barges of the Victorian Era" he says stone from Portland was a regular cargo.

It could be but I think whatever it is is on the quay and it looks a bit too tall for a Thames mizzen.  They generally reached up to just above where the mainsail branches away from the main mast.

- fellow former Medway man - Gillingham.

• Like 3