Just how glossy must a loco be for transfers and bow pen?

8 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Micro Sol and Micro Set?

CJI.

Products of the American firm Microscale.   Those two are used to get decals to sit down on the surface.   I think they make a masking product, and I have clear water based varnishes from them, gloss, satin and flat.    They brush very well.  Not surprising, as I live in Burbank, CA, it is readily available in my hobbyshop.

17 hours ago, 97406 said:

I bought it online,

OK.   Meanwhile I have an excellent hobbyshop less than two miles away, with an astounding selection of paints etc.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, bluestag said:

OK.   Meanwhile I have an excellent hobbyshop less than two miles away, with an astounding selection of paints etc.

There used to be Gee Dee Models in Nottingham but sadly it closed just before I got back into the hobby. Anyhow the Microscale products sound good.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 97406 said:

There used to be Gee Dee Models in Nottingham but sadly it closed just before I got back into the hobby. Anyhow the Microscale products sound good.

Obtainable in the UK from Hannants.

CJI.

• RMweb Premium

So to be clear, the transfers are still lifting off even after varnishing over them? I've occasionally had the odd transfer that was reluctant to stick but never after then sealing them on.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

So to be clear, the transfers are still lifting off even after varnishing over them? I've occasionally had the odd transfer that was reluctant to stick but never after then sealing them on.

For the brave only - apply waterslide transfers into wet Klear, but don't spend too much time fiddling around to get the positioning correct!

No chance of air trapped behind the carrier film that way.

CJI.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

For the brave only - apply waterslide transfers into wet Klear, but don't spend too much time fiddling around to get the positioning correct!

No chance of air trapped behind the carrier film that way.

CJI.

I often apply to wet acrylic gloss varnish which I assume is the same principle.

16 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

No.   Once they are smothered in varnish, they stick.

Posted (edited)
On 09/07/2024 at 02:03, Hal Nail said:

No.   Once they are covered in varnish, they hold.

Edited by bluestag