DIY/homemade airbrush cleaner?

Wondered if anyone has tried making their own airbrush cleaner solution?

I saw this video: https://youtu.be/vwOAHRtp7RE?si=3O12Gn3esRx0zQRR

He makes a cleaner to this recipe:

- 3 parts distilled water

- 3 parts household multipurpose cleaner or glass cleaner

- 2 parts isopropyl alcohol

- 1 drop glycerin per 50ml of solution

I've just started airbrushing. Didn't occur to me that when you rinse the paint cup with thinners and dislodge the drying paint clots on the side of the cup, you should tip the thinners and detritus out, not spray it through the nozzle... I've got a hopefully temporarily clogged airbrush at the moment. Future process will involve a quick squirt of airbrush cleaner (DIY or from a can) after flushing with thinners when changing paint!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Do not know if this recipe works, but I do know the liquid airbrush cleaner I use, lots to chose from, does work and does not damage the seals etc. I first clean with water, if acrylic paint, then finish off with the cleaner, seems to last along time, I am sure your clogged airbrush will come back to life with a careful clean, if new to airbrushing it is all about practice, good luck and enjoy.

Edited by fulton
correction
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, BusDriverMan said:

. I've got a hopefully temporarily clogged airbrush at the moment. Future process will involve a quick squirt of airbrush cleaner (DIY or from a can) after flushing with thinners when changing paint!

This is often a good back stop...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/395097351304?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=Cj0KCQjw7ZO0BhDYARIsAFttkCjJ7qJMnwJLnjKXKLvcnHjDxiqrKhmNaaQLj9mW14hPwDTaFzims8YaAjYGEALw_wcB

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree with Gilbert, Liquid Reamer works well. Smells a bit and probably not good for you, so I use it in my spray booth.

Also useful is a ultrasonic bath, I dismantle the airbrush completely, put water plus a few drops of airbrush cleaner in the ultrasonic bath and switch it on for a few minutes.  I do this at the end of every spraying session.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 03/07/2024 at 10:24, BusDriverMan said:

Wondered if anyone has tried making their own airbrush cleaner solution?

For enamel, no, I just use turps or white spirits. For acrylics I have tried various recipes from online, they all pretty much do the trick, but nothing beats a proper strip down after a spraying session. After stripping some paint of a van roof, I think one of the key parts is the IPA, everything else is extra fluff. The glycerin is supposed to be to "lube" the needle.

Edited by 57xx

• RMweb Gold
On 03/07/2024 at 22:20, ColinK said:

I agree with Gilbert, Liquid Reamer works well. Smells a bit and probably not good for you, so I use it in my spray booth.

That will be the Xylene and acetone.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, 57xx said:

That will be the Xylene and acetone.

and as suggested by ColinK.....best treated with respect. In fact, I do a lot of airbrush cleaning in the booth so I can switch it on if necessary.

Chris H

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I only use enamels as I can’t get on with acrylics, and only use turps/white spirit for cleaning. What I have found useful is an iwata cleaning jar. This constrains all the spraying when cleaning with little or no smell. The other thing I do is always to withdraw and clean the needle after use and then set it back so it’s not sitting tight up against the nozzle. This stops it sticking/jamming in the nozzle. I then of course re-set it before use the next time. 

Bob

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Izzy said:

I only use enamels as I can’t get on with acrylics, and only use turps/white spirit for cleaning. What I have found useful is an iwata cleaning jar. This constrains all the spraying when cleaning with little or no smell. The other thing I do is always to withdraw and clean the needle after use and then set it back so it’s not sitting tight up against the nozzle. This stops it sticking/jamming in the nozzle. I then of course re-set it before use the next time. 

Bob

I don't find white spirit anywhere near 'active' enough for airbrush cleaning - I use xylene.

It can be ordered online at a very reasonable price - just protect your hands and have plenty of ventilation when using it.

CJI.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Gilbert said:

and as suggested by ColinK.....best treated with respect. In fact, I do a lot of airbrush cleaning in the booth so I can switch it on if necessary.

Chris H

Indeed, which is why I  called them out by name.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I don't find white spirit anywhere near 'active' enough for airbrush cleaning - I use xylene.

It can be ordered online at a very reasonable price - just protect your hands and have plenty of ventilation when using it.

CJI.

I hope you will please forgive me but having spent my early working life inside lead lined walls using very noxious chemicals to process special X-ray film I have no desire to use such stuff as xylene even in the low level quantities it is probably sold to for the general public. That is why I stick to white spirit. I know no chemical is totally safe but I try and keep the risk as low as possible. 

Bob

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I hope you will please forgive me but having spent my early working life inside lead lined walls using very noxious chemicals to process special X-ray film I have no desire to use such stuff as xylene even in the low level quantities it is probably sold to for the general public. That is why I stick to white spirit. I know no chemical is totally safe but I try and keep the risk as low as possible. 

Bob

I have been using xylene for years,  bought in large plastic containers from ebay.

As well as being a useful solvent for paint, it is good as an adhesive solvent for polystyrene.

As I mentioned, protection from dehydration for the skin, and plenty of fresh air / extractor to reduce / dilute fumes are sensible precautions.

Having survived for three quarters of a century so far, I must be doing something right!

CJI.

• RMweb Premium
On 28/07/2024 at 12:35, Izzy said:

The other thing I do is always to withdraw and clean the needle after use and then set it back so it’s not sitting tight up against the nozzle. This stops it sticking/jamming in the nozzle. I then of course re-set it before use the next time. 

What a handy tip I'll have to remember. Thanks Bob.

Jo

• 1 month later...

I'll flush the airbrush through after every spraying session, but don't tend to disassemble it all the time - I think this can have more of a negative effect over the long term. Of course, it's important to clean the needle, nozzle, colour cup etc.

Edited by Chris56057