Hornby TT:120 Duchess of Montrose

Robin Brasher

The nostalgia market may have inspired Hornby to make the Duchess of Montrose as the locomotive was Hornby Dublo's flagship model in the 1950s. A comparison of the models shows significant improvements over the years. This has culminated in the TT:120 model with a mainly metal body at a reasonable price. I have not been able to run it yet.

P1030961.JPG

• Like 2

Some pictures showing the evolution of the TT:120 Duchess of Montrose:

1. The relative size of the packaging has increased considerably since Hornby Dublo produced the original Duchess of Montrose.

2. A play worn Hornby Dublo Duchess of Montrose in matt green livery that was introduced in 1954. A friend who serviced it wrote that it was the most dirty and neglected model he had ever seen but, surprisingly, it runs very well.

3. A Hornby 00 gauge version with a plastic body. I prefer the TT:120 model with a partly metal body.

P1030958.JPG

P1030959.JPG

P1030960.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The most disappointing feature of the Hornby TT:120 range of tender locos, from my point of view, is the lack of a front coupling. I am told the Hornby TT:120 Duchess of Montrose departs from Hornby's bizarre decision to release steam motive power without a front coupling and does in fact have an option to install one. (This is not mentioned in the 'Tech Specs' of the model on the manufacturer's web page).

Has anyone fitted the front coupling to the Duchess of Montrose and if so how easy is it and how does it perform? I plan to convert my equipment to Dapol Easyshunt NEM Couplers. How easy is it to fit the Dapol coupler to Hornby's latest TT:120 steam engine? Does Hornby's Princess Coronation class have an NEM socket on the front bogie?

Hornby's TT:120 does not have a front coupling and I don't think it would be easy to fit one. I would like to see front couplings on all steam locomotives.

Meanwhile I ran in my "Duchess of Montrose" on my layout at Furzebrook Village Hall last Sunday and then ran it with a couple of crimson and cream coaches. "Duchess of Atholl" with a couple of maroon coaches is in the background. They both ran very well.

P1040053.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robin Brasher said:

Hornby's TT:120 does not have a front coupling and I don't think it would be easy to fit one. I would like to see front couplings on all steam locomotives.

Meanwhile I ran in my "Duchess of Montrose" on my layout at Furzebrook Village Hall last Sunday and then ran it with a couple of crimson and cream coaches. "Duchess of Atholl" with a couple of maroon coaches is in the background. They both ran very well.

P1040053.JPG

The Duchesses do have a front coupling available for installation. You should find it in your parts bag. You can see the coupling in this shot from a YouTube video. I've set it up so it should jump right to the picture. 

Your Duchess of Montrose is truly beautiful. Enjoy your new locomotive! 

Cheers!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I am sorry that I did not notice that there was a front coupling in the parts pack that can be fitted with a screw. I thought the video in the last post was excellent and there was useful advice about how to make the Stanier coaches free running.

• Like 1

On 18/07/2024 at 16:34, GenericRMWebUsername said:

The Duchesses do have a front coupling available for installation. You should find it in your parts bag. You can see the coupling in this shot from a YouTube video. I've set it up so it should jump right to the picture. 

Your Duchess of Montrose is truly beautiful. Enjoy your new locomotive! 

Cheers!

Thanks for your response. I had a quick look the Youtube video but didn't go beyond a few frames. I'm using an internet connection with a fixed monthly data allowance where I am presently. I might email Hornby and see what they have to say about whether the Duchess adaptor for the pony truck uses a NEM socket. It does look like one which makes me wonder if it is available as a spare part and could it be fitted to Hornby's A1, A3 or even their A4?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/07/2024 at 17:09, Covkid said:

The TT:120 Duchess looks to be a beautiful model but that brass coloured lump of plastic under the cab draws your eye in. 

Well modelled set of injectors and pipe work that would benefit from a dab of black paint  - same as the 00 model.

• Agree 1

Hi, it would be good if Hornby did both Streamlined versions and the same locos after they had the streamlining removed. Also the last modified Duchesses 46256/7. Thanks Fred

On 24/07/2024 at 08:42, Fredo said:

Hi, it would be good if Hornby did both Streamlined versions and the same locos after they had the streamlining removed. Also the last modified Duchesses 46256/7. Thanks Fred

Give them a decade or so to do enough other classes first.....

• Agree 2