Midland Area Group Members Day. SUNDAY 22nd SEPTEMBER 2024.

NHY 581

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Evening all, 

Where

Dubrek Studios

67 Bridge St, Derby DE1 3LB

A new opportunity for members of RMweb  to meet, chat, drink tea and eat cake presents itself later this year............and it's FREE...........

Beaker_(Muppet)-en.jpg.1807637efc9a45ceccfb0fcb6ee76e8d.jpg

YES..........FREE ! 

Sunday, September the 22nd 2024 will see a few choice trainsets being displayed in the centre of Derby. To provide balance, I'm taking one of mine along for what promises to be a fun day out. 

Our very own @JustinDean has made his venue available, complete with ensuite cafe and bar ( ?). 

Now, this may well prove to be ( probably ) one of the best venues to host a model railway show........Jay has worked hard to create a modern airy event space which we can now clutter up with our trainsets.............

We'll feature each layout along the way but to whet your appetites, here's the poster......

( Note the information contained therein ) 

model-railway-intsa-post.jpg.23232a085b0f919b36e6d807b78bd7f5.jpg

And here's the venue........

Screenshot_20240701_194327_Maps.jpg.6df672e48a7c738f60cefdbbe0f56f00.jpg

The inside ( not sure if we'll be making a mess here or somewhere else......

Screenshot_20240701_194424_Maps.jpg.f2ba9075e4efdde594b0bc6961c94464.jpg

oh and this seemingly scratchbuilt pizza  caught my eye...

Screenshot_20240701_194300_Maps.jpg.f4c225cc30c781fd6366a9e35f065dbb.jpg

And a few words from happy campers.......

"This is an absolutely brilliant venue, rehearsal space, cafe and bar - Dubrek has it all going on. It is one of Derby's jewels. The place feels welcoming as soon as you step inside and there is always someone on hand to help and give advice. I have been to a few gigs here and the sound is brilliant - the sound engineer has really got it going on. If you're less-abled physically, staff are more than happy to help and provide assistance"

Oh and this  stood out........

"I can’t speak for the studio side......... but what I can say is that they serve quite possibly the best coffee I’ve ever tasted"

images.jpeg-5.jpg.d7bbdd7cd2e5792ace94913bc229b560.jpg

So, more details to follow but first stage is to get this in your diaries............

FVR62lPXoAA_MQo.jpeg-01.jpeg.32172aa7579162ea9bc98e788dc59ea3.jpeg.jpg.c2a1410f600aefbaf0ca0fb64cf20039.jpg

Oh.......and dress appropriately....

a6658deaa679285cf2a3aed4d8c2cb06.jpg.db78c5e5fec337dc25bb6ba6c128dbfd.jpg

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob! 

Also worth noting there’s  lots of free on street parking right outside the venue and Dubrek is fully accessible to wheelchair users. 

Jay

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

As SWAG is simply too far away for me to venture to, I shall have to put this into my diary and show my ugly mug to all and sundry!

Note to self - ensure SIX! auditions are not planned for Sunday 22 September!

Just checking - there’s no plans for any purveyors of small shunting locos to be in attendance, are there? (I can’t help it … it’s an addiction … 🫢😆)

Steve S

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

As SWAG is simply too far away for me to venture to, I shall have to put this into my diary and show my ugly mug to all and sundry!

Note to self - ensure SIX! auditions are not planned for Sunday 22 September!

Just checking - there’s no plans for any purveyors of small shunting locos to be in attendance, are there? (I can’t help it … it’s an addiction … 🫢😆)

Steve S

No trade stands at this Steve - need all the space for layouts!

Jay

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, JustinDean said:

No trade stands at this Steve - need all the space for layouts!

Jay

Pedantically (extremely) the cafe is a trade stand!!

Mike. Currently looking at flights to encompass this and Stafford!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just over a month to MAG! 
This has come round quick.  Really stoked @Tom F is demoing his weathering skills. I’ve been following his work for a few years now with awe and you can see some his excellent work on his Facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057598662010

….or just gaze at this pannier:

5DBEB192-3CCC-480B-ABD1-DA1C0F4195B2.jpeg.65865f63548cbeace0b80d831e686266.jpeg

Thanks to @NHY 581 for linking us up!

Jay

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 5

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Daft question time, as the event is essentially for folk who are signed up / post on "RMweb" , do we have to pre register to attend, or just pitch up at the event  on the day ?

Cheers

D.

It’s open to everyone/anyone! Just come down. 

Jay

• Like 1

Seeing as it’s only a month away, when I get back from holiday, I’d better dust Elsbridge off and make sure everything works. Haven’t operated it for a while as had been busy playing with my NG7 layout ‘Wheal Ponder’ after finishing it in June. 

Andrew

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Please be warned that rumours of my demise have been greatly exaggerated, and I intend to make an appearance at this event just to prove it to you.

Joking apart, I'm really looking forward to this, it sounds like a great lineup of layouts, and it will be nice to meet those of you I haven't seen in person before.

Al

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Morning all. 

By way of a mild bump, MAG marks the start of a busy week for Ewe, which is off to the show at Rapido Towers the following Thursday. 

So in the next few weeks, I'll be  quietly checking the layout and stock starting this coming weekend with weathering a couple of  additional wagons to provide a bit of variety to proceedings.  

20230909_113219-04.jpeg.b5d4bc07a992d92d03aca05c4b1b3125.jpeg

Should be a jolly good day out.....

Rob. 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Re the comments in SheepyBloke's thread about badges:

plain_badge.png.7397eb0b50b6f3b83a333f5b3acd7a1e.png

This should fit into the badge holders Rob has, if printed out the correct size (90mm x 56mm).

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Re the comments in SheepyBloke's thread about badges:

plain_badge.png.7397eb0b50b6f3b83a333f5b3acd7a1e.png

This should fit into the badge holders Rob has, if printed out the correct size (90mm x 56mm).

Thanks for this!

Jay

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 12/08/2024 at 22:50, TT100 Diesels said:

Thanks for the clarification, looking forward to it.

Will be excellent to meet the face behind the excellent 3mm C&HPR inspired layout! (Who knows … next time perhaps you might be exhibiting? Recently saw 3mm layouts at the York Show and was super impressed)

Steve S

(Bringing a friend and both looking forward to it!)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Will be excellent to meet the face behind the excellent 3mm C&HPR inspired layout! (Who knows … next time perhaps you might be exhibiting? Recently saw 3mm layouts at the York Show and was super impressed)

Steve S

(Bringing a friend and both looking forward to it!)

Thank you Steve, that is very kind of you to say. But my layout is a bit of a whimsical inspired by affair and is miles away from the proper C&HPR layouts and builds that feature on RMweb (but I do just love the C&HPR). 

3mm at the York show, agreed, two very different but inspiring layouts there this year. 14.2 mm gauge fine scale Coniston Lakebank set in the LMS era was absolutely sublime, while the 12mm gauge Bluish is a lovely cameo of Reddish depot complete with OLE and a gaggle of scratch build diesels and electric locos. I have helped operate it a couple of times and been able to supplement the roster with some of my Lincoln Locos resin and 3D print diesels, but went as a fare paying punter at York, but still got an hour running it while Phil and Pete went for lunch 😁. Sorry, starting to stray off topic a bit......

Cheers

D.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

One week to go!!!!

Looking forward to meeting you all there. 

I’ll reiterate - entry is free from 10am. 
Lots of free on street parking. 
The venue, Dubrek, is fully accessible and also has a cafe and bar and will also be serving panini and pizza.

Menu below:

4476019B-4835-4A77-894E-2A70F60A2063.jpeg.ee0b0acd2f1a20fba57475e453ffd1c7.jpeg

A9D221AC-DD30-4573-8A42-D06CD1DF0C48.jpeg.81e16124f177417979840ee0b842fa08.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I noticed the offer of a panini and a beer - I do hope you have a cider alternative! 😉

Looking forward to next weekend!

Steve S

We have a well stocked bar so no worries there mate!

Jay

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Not long now till the MAG event. As a teaser, if you want to see what’s over the wall you will have to come to Derby on Sunday to find out!!!. It’s not been seen before, as it was only started in August 2024 ………

IMG_1926.jpeg.db758a4445e2f5fd33db214792ac2f0f.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2