Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Trevor Nunn

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

That is really sad news. I didn't know Trevor other than to speak with him at exhibitions but the quality of his work in what is very much a "Modeller's Scale" always made me linger in front of his layouts for quite some time whenever I saw them and he was always very engaging and good to talk to.

The hobby has lost another very good one.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

It was a real privilege to have two of Trevor's layouts, East Lynn Quay in the care of Maurice Hopper and Trowland in the care of Rob Rayner at last year's SWAG. We were able to display them literally side by side. 

Having seen Trevor's modelling in various magazines over the years, there was no disappointment whatsoever when seeing these layouts at first hand last April. 

Everything, from the buildings to the locos and stock showed the mark of a true craftsman and are among the finest models that I have seen. 

Truly inspirational. 

Rob

• Like 7
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Posted (edited)

So sorry to hear this news, and my thoughts and condolences go out to his family and friends at this sad time.

I first met him back in the early 1980's when he brought his Wicken layout to one of the Clay Cross MRS's shows in the Youth Centre. This was followed soon after by an appearance at The Elizabethan Railway Society's shows in Sutton-in-Ashfield's Leisure Centre. He stayed with myself and my wife on both occasions and was a lovely guest. Following that, whenever I saw him at exhibitions, he was always ready to chat, and ask how we were doing.

As Andy mentions, he was a prolific exhibitor and happy to exhibit his layouts at shows from small to large, and consequently a superb Ambassador for S Gauge modelling. It's good that some of his layouts have found good homes with other S Gauge members, and will continue to fly the flag for the society.

Farewell Trevor, we have lost a true gentleman.

Kevin

Edited by Suddaby
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Trevor was a very fine man indeed. As a modeler he had the brilliant combination of engineer and artist to a very high level. Everything was hand made, worked superbly well and looked sublime. He always took care to study the prototype in his chosen locations so that not just the railway, but the environs looked authentic. And everything was done to the same very high standard so that it looked just right. I was fortunate to know him well through the S Scale Model Railway Society at meetings, exhibitions and staying with him. He was good company and always ready to help others and pass on his skills and knowledge in a very modest and understated way. I have long thought that he was probably the best modeler in the country because he could do everything to a very high standard and was always willing to help and encourage others. He'll be greatly missed but his example, models and inspiration will remain for a very long time.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Really very sad news, I had heard that he'd not been too good of late.

As others have said, one of the best modellers and ambassadors for our hobby and S scale in particular that you could ever imagine.

Rest in Peace Trevor, I hope you are enjoying a good natter with Robin Fielding, and many others besides..

Simon

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Sad news  on losing yet another fine modeller with the loss of Trevor Nunn.

Remember inviting him along to our exhibition with East Lynn Quay as I remember many years ago.

Terry (Eltel)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Very sad to hear the news of Trevor's passing.    Truly inspirational, real modelling.

I knew him through his numerous appearances at the CMRA exhibitions that he attended over the years - a most approachable and interesting  gentleman.   

The track plan I produced of East Lynn & Nunstanton for the 2010 CMRA exhibition guide accompanies Trevor's article on Nunstanton in MRJ 199.

A sad loss to the hobby indeed.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2