Hornby Dublo Silver King

Robin Brasher

After waiting over 70 years for an updated model of the Hornby Dublo EDL11 Silver King in British Railways cycling lion livery the Hornby version in a Hornby Dublo box has arrived.

I have not yet had an opportunity to run the new model but the pictures show how the original Hornby Dublo and the new models compare:

1. The new R30349 Silver King.

2. A Hornby Dublo EDL11 gloss green version dating from 1953.

3. The new Hornby Dublo Sillver King box.

4. A Tony Cooper reproduction EDL11 Hornby Dublo Silver King box.  The tender had a separate box.

d

P1030946.JPG

P1030948.JPG

P1030949.JPG

P1030947.JPG

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Although I regard a Tri-ang 'Nellie' as my first engine (which I still have), it was actually pre-dated by a 3-rail HD 'Silver King' bought for me second-hand (or third-hand or.....) by my dad. It came with 10 wagons and a solitary Gresley brake 3rd coach (I can remember that much about it) together with enough track to form an oval with an internal reverse loop - you could do that with 3-rail without causing a short-circuit - and a big grey mains controllers with a chrome rotary arm. My dad built a baseboard for it all but the use of hardboard wasn't the best idea......

Sadly 'Silver King' soon became reluctant to move and would only work when held upside-down with wires to the wheels - " remagnetisation "......wassat?! As a precursor to what was shortly to come I resorted to shunting the wagons manually, pretending the coach was a diesel!

My experience with the 3-rail set had little to do with my entry into the world of Tri-ang in 1966 - some Airfix trackside kits were carried over, as was that big mains controller, but from memory the rest eventually went off to Hattons.

I noted the arrival of this new and excellent - by the looks of it - 'Silver King', but I have no use at all for an A4 and the nostalgia angle comes nowhere near overcoming the cost. However I can't help comparing this wonderful new version of my very very first OO gauge engine and the simultaneous release of a new (and much more affordable) version of 'Nellie'........um........well, the least said about that the better!

Many thanks for posting your photos - I think my nostalgia, and my bank account, would probably be better served by an old HD 3-rail model like yours, non-runner acceptable. One day, perhaps........

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Nice photos.  For a 70 year old "toy", the original Silver King stands up well against its modern copy.  If only Binns Lane had done thinner lining bands...

My HD EDL11 is the one in the boxed set with two tinplate Gresley coaches in blood'n'custard livery.  It still works well, well it did the last time I got the 3-rail stuff out for a canter!  The old tinplate stock is much more immersive, they rattle and bang as they go along, just like the real thing...

I wonder if modern Hornby "Dublo" will still be able to perform 70 years hence?

• Like 4