Mystery date & location - D1058 on single track milk train

• RMweb Premium

I've added a bit more detail to the first post about the far parapet of the bridge looking as if it's been rebuilt with red brickwork, which might help identify it as that's something that would stick out.
This might suggest that the road approaches on a downhill bend from the opposite direction - the bridge could well have been damaged by a vehicle that didn't turn tightly enough!

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, melmoth said:

How about somewhere between Witham and Cranmore, or Frome and Radstock?

An interesting point.  Although we now have a definitive answer it is probably worth explaining why these two really don'e fit the scene?

Having spent a couple of weeks conducting Guards over the new branch from Hapsford to Whatley quarry (through from Frome North) - albeit c.50 years ago  -I think we can rule out that one for several reasons, viz -

1. I can't recall a bridge quite like that although don't forget that I was seeing them from the leading cab of a loco (best way to teach a Guard the road in view of the complexities at certain places on the new branch) and definitely no need for that much wire on telegraph poles.

2. There are two possibles between Witham and Merehead Quarry Jcn one of which can't be got at on Google Maps for a close look while the other is over what became double track c.1972 in the vicinity of Merehead Quarry Jcn.   The photo linked below was taken from that bridge but is on the opposite side of the bridge from the photo posted by the OP=

https://www.railwayherald.com/imagingcentre/view/652699/TM

The work on the site, and the loco,  (but not the wagon) would fit that area although, once again the telegraph wires look to be excessive as there would only have been the NSKT token circuit and an several 'phone circuits

The other bridge shows on an old 25" OS map as being on more of a skew than the Quarry Jcn bridge but is not accessible 'on the ground' on Google Maps.  I think most of the East Somerset Railway overbridges were built for double track.

So - even before getting the definitive answer (posted while I was ckecking these two lines) I had ruled out both those branches.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, BluenGreyAnorak said:

Possibly Quintrell Down Overbridge carrying the A392? If looking south from the bridge, the track on the far side of the railway seems to match.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/m75aY1Fq2QLsfcBQ7

That is a good match  unfortunately on street view the far end of bridge is covered in foliage. Sulphuric acid tanks of this type  worked to Parkandillack but by this date were of more modern design passing in the consist of the 7B30 Avonmouth Royal Edward yard  to Ponsandane , i wonder if it was water supply for a steam crane , i know milk tanks were used  for breakdown cranes but this would have been the poor relations civil engineers crane 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

I can solve this mystery, the (really very good) picture was taken at Coaxden Bridge near Axminster on the 10th March 1973, on the by then singled Southern main line. These photographs below were taken by AE West, some I collected from the estate of David Hyde, and more recently I purchased one from Mike King at Expo EM last month.

It was a WR freight that was diverted over the ex LSW main line for some reason, which included sulphuric acid in tank wagons. I'm guessing it was a freight out of Severnside carrying fertiliser and the acid and I think the accident happened on the morning of 7th March 1973. It made quite a mess, here's Ted's picture of men clearing the load out of the derailed wagons on the 7th March.

Is there any indication of the cause of the accident? Seems to be on dead straight and reasonably level track.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

Incredible, thanks so much - I had no idea it was going to be such a unique event that was captured in the shot!

Here's the Google maps location - the bridge parapet does indeed change brickwork style:
https://www.google.com/maps/@50.79875,-2.9815156,86m

Thanks to all for your replies, suggestions, etc 🙂

Edited by alexross42
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, BluenGreyAnorak said:

Is there any indication of the cause of the accident? Seems to be on dead straight and reasonably level track.

Probably 'the usual' for those days - short wheelbase wagons, maybe a bit of uneven loading, possibly a bit too much speed, and maybe a touch of 'cyclic top' setting up some oscillation?   Net result one wagon goes off the road and others follow.

It might have been a more serious track fault but not so likely in my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, BluenGreyAnorak said:

The Cornwall railway society site linked to by Not Jeremy above has this recollection...

I remember this extensive derailment caused I think by a severe hotbox/sheared journal on a Vanfit..this was the 19.25 (or thereabouts) M-F freight from Avonmouth Royal Edward Yd to Ponsandane which for some reason (either due planned or emergency closure somewhere on the Bristol to Exeter main line) was diverted via Westbury and Yeovil to Exeter Riverside. This train mainly conveyed Vanfits of animal feedstuffs from the Avonmouth Mills & Docks and fertiliser from the ICI works at Severn Beach for the then still several rail served goods yards in Devon & Cornwall. The sacks were manhandled into and out of the wagons on sack trucks, with no pallets or forklifts, yet alone dumpy bags or in bulk ! Once the M5 motorway opened this rail traffic was soon lost to road transport as the Agricultural merchants found it quicker, more efficient with less handling, and cheaper to send their lorries up and collect it themselves, delivering direct to their depots and farm customers. Tony Hill

A wonderful rabbit hole to wander down, caused by one photo. RMWeb at its best!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Well, we don't want bulls milk do we?!!

Mike.

You used to be able to get milk from Bull's (dairy) in Cambridge.

CJI.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4