How do I fit replacement wheel sets into an unpowered Lonestar D5900 ?

After considerable years spent in the engine shed of forgotten about I have stumbled on my old Lonestar OOO unpowered model of D5900, yes I know it doesn't look like a Baby Deltic at all, it was never meant to.

She lost two of her axles many years ago and I have now acquired 2 replacement ones.

But how do I get them in?

They are a tight fit and I don't want to break the bogie or the wheel set. There appears to be a couple of partially open snibs or guides at the lower edge of the bearings but they look to be quite resistant to bending as does the bogie itself.

IMG_7664.jpeg.14714feaee9baa145d09c7ce28b5be4c.jpegIMG_7666.jpeg.0bf3f1f1c1fb9e93c59756bbbd34255a.jpegIMG_7667.jpeg.4d5e62de5928d72c9bc22a6c17094193.jpeg

Is there a trick to doing this or do I cut the axles of my new wheel sets and reassemble them with a piece of tubing once in situ? I'm not too worried about originality, I just want to get her back into shape.

Any help much appreciated.

//Simon

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Stentor said:

After considerable years spent in the engine shed of forgotten about I have stumbled on my old Lonestar OOO unpowered model of D5900, yes I know it doesn't look like a Baby Deltic at all, it was never meant to.

She lost two of her axles many years ago and I have now acquired 2 replacement ones.

They are a tight fit and I don't want to break the bogie or the wheel set. There appears to be a couple of partially open snibs or guides at the lower edge of the bearings but they look to be quite resistant to bending as does the bogie itself.

IMG_7664.jpeg.14714feaee9baa145d09c7ce28b5be4c.jpegIMG_7666.jpeg.0bf3f1f1c1fb9e93c59756bbbd34255a.jpegIMG_7667.jpeg.4d5e62de5928d72c9bc22a6c17094193.jpeg

Is there a trick to doing this or do I cut the axles of my new wheel sets and reassemble them with a piece of tubing once in situ? I'm not too worried about originality, I just want to get her back into shape.

//Simon

The cast nibs have been rivetted-over to retain the wheels.

You will have to file or grind away the nibs to clear the slots, then retain the new wheels with strips of plastic superglued across the slots.

CJI.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Alternative idea would be to drill out the rivet that the bogie pivots on, replace it with one bought from a swapmeet etc and secure with a self-tapping screw having drilled a hole into the remaining stem. ~Just have to be careful not to crack the brittle Myzak stem. 

Please let us know how you get on 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Canal Digger said:

Alternative idea would be to drill out the rivet that the bogie pivots on, replace it with one bought from a swapmeet etc and secure with a self-tapping screw having drilled a hole into the remaining stem. ~Just have to be careful not to crack the brittle Myzak stem. 

Please let us know how you get on 

I think that you are misunderstanding the OP's question.

It is the wheels / axles that are to be replaced, not the bogie.

CJI.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stentor said:

//Simon

Just to add to the suggestions already posted, where are the replacement wheels from? If I remember correctly this is one of the locos that had similar electric and push-along variants, but with the same body style (for instance I have one very similar to this, but it’s in the Union Pacific livery and very definitely from the electric range - i.e. different product name stamped underneath, different couplings and 9mm rather than 8.25mm gauge). 

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Informative/Useful 1

The later ones like this had 9mm gauge plastic wheelsets, normally moulded in silver. As CJI. says, the wheels are held in place by small tabs that would have been pressed down in the factory. Chances are they will break off when you attempt to lift them to put new wheels in. A small sliver of thin metal glued under the axleboxes will stop new wheels dropping out, but you'd need to be sparing with the glue. I'd recommend epoxy resin.

Incidentally Lone Star did actually do a Baby Deltic in their electric range, but it wasn't re-released in the later Treble-O-trains pushalong range, though the Derby Type 2 (Class 24) was.

• Thanks 1