Source for 7mm Axleguards/W Irons

Miserable

Hi, I'm looking for cast 7mm axleguards/W irons for a BR12t van (with split axles boxes I think they are called) and a Presflo with roller bearings. I've searched the web/eBay and anywhere else I can think of, Invertrain, Wizard, Dave Parkins etc but while there are loads out there, none of the ones I'm after appear. Is there a source anyone knows of?

Slaters do a BR Standard Van (12T) kit.  I don't know what the axle boxes you are seeking (I did a search but came up empty) look like, but I have bought bits broken out of kits from Slaters in the past.  Perhaps some modification is possible.

https://slatersplastikard.com/linePage.php?sfx=JPG&pid=7064

I have a JLTRT Presflo but haven't really had a good look yet.

John

Another thought - you may be able to do something with Slaters 71546 BR Sprung Axleguards.  These are etched brass.  You need to source your own axle boxes.

Here's a pic:

P1010032.JPG.7135d91208750d6c182f0eb910591b82.JPG

Note the included bearings and coil springs.

Edited by brossard

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Parkside (Peco) do roller bearing axle boxes as well as the split type in the grampus kit (amongst other) and sell spare sprues.

The Slaters van kit actually has spare W irons and two types of axle box that arent used (unless I just got lucky).

Worth asking in wanted since anyone with either kit will have spares (although may not be willing to part with them!)

Edited by Hal Nail

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking to replace a damaged/miss cast white metal (both my bad for not checking) ones on assembled kits so Slater's isn't really an option, equally the Slaters/Hobby Holidays sprung axle guards would mean replacing all and hacking the chassis about. I'll give First Class a ring (the bits are actually for two their kits ) and see if spares is an option.

These are the offenders, the axle box on the left of the van has somehow 'expanded' compared to the others, it doesn't look too bad in the photo but has a slightly oversize look compared to the others. The Presflo looks fine, but one axle guard moved a bit while the epoxy was hardening and the axle is twisted as a result - I didn't notice until too late! I can hack them off, or rather melt them off, I think without trashing the whole wagon.  DSC02286.JPG.0a7f7c6025b5aa4f24e29ef2bc71e554.JPG