ho EMD 36" fan UK supplier?

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, is there a UK supplier for US outline loco details? 

I need some 36" roof fans for detailing some GP7's I'm working on, I could get them from the US but the postage is crippling.

• RMweb Premium

Buying from the US requires a mortgage for the postage, however, try Canada suppliers, they are much cheaper.  I have used TMR Distributing in Canada a few times https://tmrdistributing.com/presta/  postage is far more reasonable and delivery is often as little as a week.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all for the pointers, I'll have a look through the websites and see what I can find. It does baffle me why postage on some of these things is so expensive, even a decal sheet is $20 to send across the pond!

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

The US postage issue is mostly down to the USPS trying to recoup the losses they have been experiencing from having to handle bulk quantities of international mail ( mostly incoming from China) that effectively not paid for the service.

The Chinese are expert at getting post sent over as one huge consignment where it is broken up into individual packages and fed into the USPS system for delivery without paying anything for the service as that was paid, at a tiny fraction of the true cost at point of dispatch.

These huge postal charges even for a single letter sized item has effectively killed off most US/UK model railway trade as a result.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Traintresta said:

Do A1 models of Doncaster do a 36” fan etch?

Not in HO, I would imagine.

A 4mm. scale 36" grille equates to a 41" grille at 3.5mm. scale.

The OP is looking for an HO 36" grille.

CJI.

• RMweb Gold

So I've just bought a job lot of details west HO detailing parts on ebay which has a set of 4 of the fans I need included, so I have enough to do one loco.  Checking postage rates from the Canadian suppliers it's a little better, but I'm still looking at $30 postage for another set. 

Will keep you all posted if I find a cheap way of shipping parts over.

• Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, John M Upton said:

These huge postal charges even for a single letter sized item has effectively killed off most US/UK model railway trade as a result.

I've been watching an item on U.S. Ebay being sold by Atlas themselves. There's a long list of Countries they will ship to - the U.K. is not on the list!! I have sent 2 messages, one asking for shipping cost to here, & one asking why we are not on their list.

No reply to either so far, 4 days & counting.... 🙄🤦‍♂️☹️

19 hours ago, simon b said:

It does baffle me why postage on some of these things is so expensive, even a decal sheet is $20 to send across the pond!

Never mind “across the pond”, how about $26 to send a single decal sheet across the US-Canada border?

With free postage within the States, and with living about 25 miles from the border, picking it up from a US address made for a nice day trip.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.

I know that, I was suggesting A1 might be a source as I know they do a 48” in HO.

I have looked at A1’s products as best I can in the internet, they only list the 48” fan in HO, no 36” fan. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.

John does a 48" fan etch in HO for flat top fans as fitted to the '35' line and later. It's very good and much easier to use than the Cannon and Co version as it doesn't require removing the fan body. Sadly no 36" ones. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143656121229?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=FPlCWuWeScW&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=l6JIfXIeQAC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 1

1 minute ago, doctor quinn said:

John does a 48" fan etch in HO for flat top fans as fitted to the '35' line and later. It's very good and much easier to use than the Cannon and Co version as it doesn't require removing the fan body. Sadly no 36" ones. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143656121229?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=FPlCWuWeScW&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=l6JIfXIeQAC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The cannon ones do look great but they are a PITA to fit. I’ve got some precision scale plastic fans to fit to my next project but I won’t be modeling many EMD’s so don’t intend to have to repeat it too many times. 

I assume with the A1 48” fan watch it’s not wood an overlay?

• RMweb Gold
On 21/06/2024 at 16:02, Traintresta said:

I know that, I was suggesting A1 might be a source as I know they do a 48” in HO.

I have looked at A1’s products as best I can in the internet, they only list the 48” fan in HO, no 36” fan. 

On 21/06/2024 at 16:05, doctor quinn said:

Thanks for the thought but I need the complete fan casting, the plan is to backdate some gp18's into gp7's which requires 4 small fans vs 2 big fans.

• RMweb Gold

For the time being I've just paid £3 for an old Bachmann F7 shell on ebay, purely so I can chop the fans out of it. That will give me enough for the second loco, and will do the job till I find some of the cannon or Athearn fans.

• Like 1

On 20/06/2024 at 21:09, F-UnitMad said:

I've been watching an item on U.S. Ebay being sold by Atlas themselves. There's a long list of Countries they will ship to - the U.K. is not on the list!! I have sent 2 messages, one asking for shipping cost to here, & one asking why we are not on their list.

No reply to either so far, 4 days & counting.... 🙄🤦‍♂️☹️

Interesting - some years ago I bought a handrail set for my Atlas RS3 directly from them. The service was great, and the postage minimal, they even included a hefty catalogue which must have pushed up their mailing cost enormously! 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Any interest? Unused, knocking about in my Kadees box for some reason. DA or DW, not Cannon.

IMG_7311.JPG.096974f27f74c5fcfc5f0aff5d135c09.JPG

Yes please! Could you PM me your payment details please?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

No payment required, but I will not be in UK for a couple of weeks - can it wait until then? If not I'll jiffy envelope it from here.

Thats very kind of you, I'm in no rush so happy to wait.

On 24/06/2024 at 08:51, Barclay said:

Interesting - some years ago I bought a handrail set for my Atlas RS3 directly from them. The service was great, and the postage minimal, they even included a hefty catalogue which must have pushed up their mailing cost enormously! 

Yes I've ordered parts direct from Atlas in the past without problems, they even put "Commercial Samples- no value" on the Customs label (I hadn't asked for that!) - this is their Ebay shop which must be different.

I've also looked on the web about ebay not offering shipping from US to UK, and it seems like it's a widespread problem. It's not like the UK is on an 'excluded' list - it just doesn't appear either way for International shipping. 

From the gist of what I've read new rules came in with Brexit that imported goods must have UK safety marks, not just the 'CE' that suffices for the EU. Ebay have applied this with a broad and draconian brush indeed - people can't even buy collectable Star Wars figures from the USA now!! Not via ebay, at least.... 🙄😡🤬

• Informative/Useful 1