1:43rd Scale Australian Car collection

A company called Australian Car Collection has released a  twice monthly magazine that includes a 1:43 scale diecast  model of an Australian car. The first copy is available at newsagents for $6.99 and has a very respectable model of an HK Monaro GTS.

The price will go up to $21.99 or so but thats still cheap for a diecast model car, especially since the only other 0 gauge competition would be Autoart models and these are a fraction of the price. 

You can subscribe to the series through their website, order from the local newsagent or just wander in and pick and  choose the ones you want as they are released. Initially 60 individual models are planned but there may be more apparently. 

https://australiancarcollection.com.au/collection/australian-cars

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

It's not 100% Australian as I saw a Bedford motor caravan  that has appeared in a partwork in Europe and the London bus that has also appeared in a European partwork. The Bedford OB bus looks interesting though. The partworks are produced by a French company called Atlas, good models but their customer service is a nightmare.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

It's not 100% Australian as I saw a Bedford motor caravan  that has appeared in a partwork in Europe and the London bus that has also appeared in a European partwork. The Bedford OB bus looks interesting though. The partworks are produced by a French company called Atlas, good models but their customer service is a nightmare.

Yeah a couple of the  "premium" gifts that come with the premium subscription seem to come from another partwork since I can't see any connection between Australian cars and a London bus...

Hopefully the phrase  "Australian Car collection" means they will be either Australian or at least have a connection here -  such as  the Landcruiser which  for many  years  were the only vehicles you'd see in the serious offroad places. 

If it just turns into a bunch of the usual European or American cars after the initial dozen or so Australians then I'll pass on them. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Is the Bedford OB bus an Australian prototype? The body looks slightly different to the usual UK versions which are more often of the Duple bodied coach.

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Is the Bedford OB bus an Australian prototype? The body looks slightly different to the usual UK versions which are more often of the Duple bodied coach.

Having zero knowledge about buses I did find this lnk which might shed some light on it... or not!

https://driverclassics.com.au/heritage-fleet/1947-bedford-ob

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

It looks like a Grice body so is Australian as a ute. Even when GM-Australia started offering complete vehicles they were on chassis imported from England.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

It looks like a Grice body so is Australian as a ute. Even when GM-Australia started offering complete vehicles they were on chassis imported from England.

Yes, I'm not sure about the Kingswoods of the 60's and 70's, but the Torana was originally a Vauxhall Viva  and the Commodore was based on the GM global chassis of the time, up until GM pulled the plug on its large car chassis in the mid 2000's and Holden went alone.

They invested a billion dollars in the VE Commodore as an Australian re-design from the ground up.  They had high hopes for it on the world stage since pretty much everything here produced by Ford, Holden and Chrysler has always been designed with winning Bathurst in mind since that sells cars  so our chassis are designed for racing, and handle accordingly. 

I'm glad the bus is an Australian prototype. A bus is a pretty niche subject which gives me heart because it makes me think that the 48 so-far unlisted models will be  actual Australian vehicles given they've put effort into making a model of a bus that only you have picked up on as being Australian!

What is the difference between the Grice and your "Duple" body, I'm assuming the protruding  bonnet on the Grice as opposed to the flat front? 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The standard Bedford OB had the bonnet, it used the same pressings as the O series trucks. About 80% of those produced for the UK were bodied by Duple.

image.png.9c74d30619a8d89196c610d9443a1b2c.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• monkeysarefun changed the title to 1:43rd Scale Australian Car collection
Posted (edited)

So the first two arrived yesterday and colour me impressed, for what they cost they do the job. Made in Bangladesh apparently, but they are recognisable, everything looks accurate  and well made.

They seem to be starting off the series with the hero cars to get the punters in,  the first two being the HK Monaro 327 and the Valiant Charger R/T E49.

image.png.c4d20daaf260b84db2a99b3f4205bf81.png

image.png.c051f380aee13a79e68294be1d1add55.png

The Charger had a 6 cylinder 4.3 litre Hemi that Chrysler Australia did a heap of development on  and ended up getting 302HP out of it, that  was in 1971. There wasn't a more powerful 6 cylinder until the mid 70's when Porsche (I think) brought one out, but it is little known anywhere other than here.

image.png.1bdd4db3b223f9cb024ec412b731069e.png

The next one in the series  is the going to be the  Falcon XC Cobra coupe to add to  the muscle car coupe lineup. Given there are 80 or so models planned and assuming they are actually all going to be  Australian cars I wonder if there'll also be the plain-jane versions of these cars at some point.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Hello again!

I thought I'd post some pics of each of these as I get them in order to create a little bit of Australiana  among the models of Jags and Morris Minors, so lets get stuck in.

.  The models  are released every two weeks,  or, if like me you subscribe you get two models delivered in one delivery every month.

In addition my subscription entitles me to 5 extra models and I got the first of these with this delivery.

Firstly, to complement  the previous Holden and Chrysler 2 door coupe models , this order included the Ford Falcon XC Cobra. This was a "special edition" put out by Ford in 1978  in order to get rid of an excessive number of XC coupe bodies that Ford had lying around, it came in both 4.9 an 5.8 V8 litre form. 

image.png.590fd3ffca816214a611f53930e045c2.png

I do recall walking past the local Ford dealer at the time as a 15 year old, seeing one in pride of place on the platform at the front of the yard and hoping that it would still be there in 3 years time  when I would have my license and would therefore somehow be able to buy it. 

In reality it was considered a bit of a letdown by performance enthusiasts (as opposed to 15 year old boys) in that all the "anti-pollution gear" strangled  it and performance was down on previous models.

But a rising tide raises all boats and it now cashes in on the nostalgia craze which dictates that  anything that is Australian and has a V8 in it is  collectible and so therefore if I wanted to finally buy one now it would be more than I could afFord.

The model itself is well detailed - as the other ones have been - and well worth the $25 (approx 13 pound) price. The badges say that is is the 5.8Litre version..

image.png.7a780cdab8226dc7d246587e7a473483.png

Next up - the EH Holden. Released in 1963, it was  very popular, along with the Ford Falcon. As a kid of the 70's I remember that these were still everywhere.

As a newly licensed driver of the early 80's they were old enough to be reasonably priced enough that many of my mates had them. They came in sedan, station wagon, ute and panel van versions.

I dont recall seeing any that DIDN't have a white roof!

Again, the model is accurate enough to make me nostalgic for weekends spent at mates places working on the mighty grey motor that lurked under the bonnet.

image.png.dcad1dc5ff598b461a1101a57228ebc7.png

Finally, the free gift, a 1984 VK Holden Commodore.  I like how for a bit of novelty they've done it out as a police version, I assume the Victorian police. The model captures the 1980's tan interior to perfection, and it survives the closeup shot with no major blemishes becoming apparent  so I've no more to say.  5 stars!

image.png.829ddaedda2517152fcd4ae254efeeec.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Next lot!

FIrst up is the 1973 Valant S. This was a US model, brought in as kits and assembled here. Chrysler was our third local car maker but in those  binary Ford/Holden days most of their products were overlooked until the Charger came along. In contrast they were popular with those that were inclusively called "New   Australians" or  - less inclusively,  "Ethnics", back then.

Looking back at it now, it was quite stylish with its fins and chrome and from the front bears a bit of a resemblance to a Studebaker Lark.

I recall one of my mates parents had one in the early 70's and I remember being very impressed with the push-button transmission and teh red interior, though it was probably 10 years old by then.

PXL_20240827_122427047.jpg.9e1fc6dfd31d5fd64d8439d28d42b2e8.jpg

PXL_20240827_122440398.jpg.85fcb554300af849b44b34e02b8d49a9.jpg

PXL_20240827_122414976.jpg.deb2425d34f94b41d00a5c6aa16bf902.jpg

This delivery also  includes the hero car, the 1971 XY Falcon GT.  This came in two versions, the GT and  GTHO phase 3 of which 300 were released. These were produced so that Ford could enter the GT at Bathurst, which at the time was a production car race.

Both had a 351CI cleveland V8, the GT had 300BHP, the HO version also "officially" had 300HP (Ford didnt release the actual numbers, allegedly so that owners could get insurance more easily!), but tests by car magazines estimated that it was in the 360 to 380HP range.

Externally the two versions are almost identical, the differences were in the engine, brakes, ignition system etc.

PXL_20240827_122346911.jpg.e715ac8bc4c41a523c1e773ff7bce6c1.jpg

PXL_20240827_122327371.jpg.982272a482e1c4ea72e6913e61e16041.jpg

PXL_20240827_122314021.jpg.8f00ca04373619be99b8f58a4f851b59.jpg

Initial cars were equipped with an electrical rev limiter which came into effect at 6,150 rpm. With the rev limiter disabled, the engine was reputed to pull in excess of 7,000 rpm, even in fourth gear. At that time the Phase III GTHO was touted as being the world's fastest four-door production car,  However, the Phase III GTHO, in full street trim, was "only" ever clocked at 142mph by Wheels magazine in October 1971. In contrast a 1969  Dodge Polara Pursuit four-door, in full street trim, running the optional 440ci/375hp V8 automatic was officially clocked at 147mph by Michigan State Police at Chrysler's Chelsea Proving Grounds, so the claim was never verified.

Winner of the 1971 Bathurst 500, driven by Allan Moffat, the Phase III has been described as "...simply one of the best cars in the world, a true GT that could take on Ferraris and Astons on their own terms..." by Sports Car World. However the GTHO cost just under $5000 when new, I cant find an original price for 1971 AStons and Ferraris but I imagine it'd be considerably more!

The Fords competed in the legendary Bathurst races of the early 70's with the driver everyone loved to hate because he was Canadian and didn't seem to be a top bloke (Allan Moffit) racing against everyones hero, Peter Brock in the LC Torana GTR XU-1. A Falcon  was the victim  in one of the most memorable crashes in Bathurst history.

I assume the bloke  (a  marshall?)  seen jumping out of the way as the car starts to roll bought a lottery ticket!

Everyone watched Bathurst (on the black and white telly!)  back then and I do recall seeing this crash at the time!

Today  the GTHO version especially commands insane prices in the $500,000 to one million dollar  range. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3

These are lovely models.

Many are not familiar to us Brits as they (unfortunately!) either didn’t come here or only in tiny numbers.

The Valiant is a lovely car. They were made in a few places around the world as domestic US cars and Chryslers branches in other countries.

That model was released as part of the Argentina collection too. Although I think your version of it has the better wheels! 
These were sold in the UK too, but not in big numbers.

IMG_3209.jpeg.6f6081c852d5bab0fffbbe2d8bd96fcc.jpeg

IMG_5185.jpeg.ee819b1e4e6150ac89e4539eba551ad9.jpeg

(pic from Bygone Portsmouth)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 40 058 said:

These are lovely models.

Many are not familiar to us Brits as they (unfortunately!) either didn’t come here or only in tiny numbers.

The Valiant is a lovely car. They were made in a few places around the world as domestic US cars and Chryslers branches in other countries.

That model was released as part of the Argentina collection too. Although I think your version of it has the better wheels! 
These were sold in the UK too, but not in big numbers.

IMG_3209.jpeg.6f6081c852d5bab0fffbbe2d8bd96fcc.jpeg

IMG_5185.jpeg.ee819b1e4e6150ac89e4539eba551ad9.jpeg

(pic from Bygone Portsmouth)

I read somewhere that any Rootes dealer in the UK was able to obtain anything from the American and Australian Chrysler ranges as a special order but I'm not sure how true that is. I do know in the late sixties they tried selling the later Aussie Valiants here officially as replacements for the big Humbers but they weren't very successful. Strange to think the Valiant and the Imp could both have been supplied by the same garage.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, quicksilvercoaches said:

I read somewhere that any Rootes dealer in the UK was able to obtain anything from the American and Australian Chrysler ranges as a special order but I'm not sure how true that is. I do know in the late sixties they tried selling the later Aussie Valiants here officially as replacements for the big Humbers but they weren't very successful. Strange to think the Valiant and the Imp could both have been supplied by the same garage.

Back around 1964, a mechanic at our village garage (near Barnsley) had a three-year-old Valiant, right-hand-drive, in light metallic blue. The garage was co-incidentally a Rootes agent, but he'd bought it privately. I thought it was an ugly car, but liked the metallic blue cloth and vinyl upholstery and the steering wheel with transparent top and bottom sections, and the pushbutton auto transmission selector. He told me it was built in Canada for export to Britain and Commonwealth countries.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, quicksilvercoaches said:

Id love to know how that Valiant came about! Who ordered it and why. Was it a US military personnel car as they got great deals on domestic cars to ship to their overseas postings. I guess we’ll never know!

I remember some years back going to watch the banger racing at Arena Essex and there was a Holden out there! Couldn’t believe it!

• Like 2

Downunder that Valiant was released firstly as the "R" series and then the later "S" series as shown as the model.  The "S" series in my opinion was a more attractive car.  The "R" series from memory had smaller fins on the rear and the bootlid had a representation of a spare wheel cover.  I remembered it as a "continental" look.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Craigw said:

I am loving this! As a child of the 70's (born in 1964) these cars bring back so many memories to me.

Regards,

Craig W

As a 1963 vintage who grew up in the V8 infested  car crazy wastelands of western Sydney, I agree!

Theres some beauties coming,  going by the one out-of focus screen-captured  list I've seen of the first 50.  Next order includes the XA Falcon GTHO Phase IV  (un-released successor to the HO phase 111), and a Sandman..

Further down the track  there is a  Bolwell Nagari  (hopefully a Purvis Eureka will come along too, not to mention a Goggomobile Dart!) ....) and a Jack Brabham HB Torana!  (known better elsewhere  as a Vauxhall Viva).

image.png.8310fd7fc7b9d2097aabcf0d286d354b.png

https://www.canberratoranaclub.com/history/hb.htm

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4

My dad purchased a new AP6 Valiant Regal Safari in April 1965.  I believe that it was one of the first of the series sold that year.  It had a 145 horsepower 225 cubic inch slant six with 3-speed auto transmission.  He paid around 1600 pound when a Holden was selling for under a thousand pound.  We used to ride in the back of the car with the tailgate window wound down,  looking back on the cars behind us.  Seatbelt laws did not come in until much later.  My dad kept the car immaculate,  with basically only Sunday trips to church.

One fond memory was driving up to my uncle's home in Quirindi on the 1965 Anzac Day weekend.  As we entered a major country town the organisers must have thought that the car was part of the official parade and thus directed us down the main street as part of the celebrations.  It was odd having all the people in the crowd waving at us.  At the time the car was quite prestigious and definitely a cut above the then Holden and Falcon models.  Alas,  the car passed onto my brother-in-law and then its fate was sealed as it disintegrated into rust as he transported seawater in containers in the rear for his marine aquarium business.  

• Like 5

7 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

My dad purchased a new AP6 Valiant Regal Safari in April 1965.  I believe that it was one of the first of the series sold that year.  It had a 145 horsepower 225 cubic inch slant six with 3-speed auto transmission.  He paid around 1600 pound when a Holden was selling for under a thousand pound.  We used to ride in the back of the car with the tailgate window wound down,  looking back on the cars behind us.  Seatbelt laws did not come in until much later.  My dad kept the car immaculate,  with basically only Sunday trips to church.

One fond memory was driving up to my uncle's home in Quirindi on the 1965 Anzac Day weekend.  As we entered a major country town the organisers must have thought that the car was part of the official parade and thus directed us down the main street as part of the celebrations.  It was odd having all the people in the crowd waving at us.  At the time the car was quite prestigious and definitely a cut above the then Holden and Falcon models.  Alas,  the car passed onto my brother-in-law and then its fate was sealed as it disintegrated into rust as he transported seawater in containers in the rear for his marine aquarium business.  

It’s quite amusing what killed the car in the end! 
When you consider over here it’s almost certainly just the miserable winter climate and salted roads for 50% of every year that kills cars off. Or did. 
I remember when I imported my American car and it had virtually no underside protection or wax protection inside doors etc whatsoever. Yet it’d survived over in the US, completely different story here in the UK so I undersealed and waxed it all as the first job I did with it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 40 058 said:

It’s quite amusing what killed the car in the end! 
When you consider over here it’s almost certainly just the miserable winter climate and salted roads for 50% of every year that kills cars off. Or did. 
I remember when I imported my American car and it had virtually no underside protection or wax protection inside doors etc whatsoever. Yet it’d survived over in the US, completely different story here in the UK so I undersealed and waxed it all as the first job I did with it.

A surprising number of classic cars in the UK are re-imports from places like Malta were the climate is dry for most of the year. When I visited Malta I spotted an immaculate Hillman Super Minx convertible, a model now extinct in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

55 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

A surprising number of classic cars in the UK are re-imports from places like Malta were the climate is dry for most of the year. When I visited Malta I spotted an immaculate Hillman Super Minx convertible, a model now extinct in the UK.

Amazing what a good climate will do for old vehicles.

Its the sheer amount of work needed most of the time to repair cars in the UK after our awful winters destroy them.

This is what I had to do to my Capri to save it!

IMG_0191.jpeg.fbd0130dddbc856c5cee0848ee8968ba.jpeg

IMG_0192.jpeg.e5c4febee4c1aacb02dfa0f1a5a7e396.jpeg

It was like lace curtains in places! 50 years of salty wet roads takes its toll in the end.

It’s finished now of course but it was a lot of work and cost to get it back to a good standard. Probably cheaper and definitely easier to find one in Malta or Cyprus and bring it back!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 40 058 said:

Probably cheaper and definitely easier to find one in Malta or Cyprus and bring it back!

Probably just as expensive to bring back a car from Malta now as to restore a rusty wreck found in this country. It was easier before Brexit but now there's customs to deal with.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is there a Leyland P76 to be released in the collection?

A former boss had one, which he referred to as a P38, because it was such a lemon that it was only half a car!

• Like 2