Hornby Mid-Year June 2024 Range Launch

Phil Parker

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Karl said:

Their intention if 6-9 months from announcement to on the shelved seem a good aim.

That implies a couple of quiet years at least, whilst new products currently at early stages of development work their way towards this 6-9 month point.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Yes but then accuracy is something Hornby struggle with in the main range never mind Railroad.

In that case none of the 00 scale models/toys from any manafacture are accurate as they are running on H0 gauge track. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

So so disappointed, no revamped class 60, not even a host of new liveries on the old Lima model in the Railroad range. 😕😕

It's ok get a Cavalex one plus an Accurascale one together with a Lima class 47.

Get out your sharp knife and carve them into one Lima class 60

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hornby feels to me very much like a lost cause these days. Like a becalmed rudderless behemoth adrift in the doldrums. 

Even if they could just do the bread and butter to an acceptable standard it would be something. By which I mean Railroad MkIs at sub-£30 RRP in the five basic types and the most common four liveries, regularly restocked and churned out. Half a dozen Y2K China detail-level steam locos, units as train-packs, some diesels and the cornerstones of a freight offering. 

Instead, what was 'announced' today was just disconnected, stateless nonsense. From three disinterested blokes who'd have rather been anywhere but in that room. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 9

43m51s later...

I was multi-tasking in watching the football at the same time.

Some thoughts:
1. Much too long;  20 min max. Why have questions (which many were already previously answered) in a specific launch?

2. What's the point in having half the screen filled by a picture of a RfD 47?
3. Having three presenters is one too many.

4. Why no footage of the W1 actually running with the steam effect? Thought this should have been a basic requirement to see it working.

5. Too much rambling-on about vehicle numbers.

6. Distracting and unprofessional with all the shuffling of papers.
7. The stuff about sound files just went on and on. Why not hear them?

• Agree 8

Interesting announcements I wonder why the new HST set was chosen for RailRoad and not their super detailed HSTs? 

I guess to appeal to the RailRoad market.

The Grand Central HST it's interesting to see some of Hornby's older tooling MK3 carriage stock now eventually being moved and merged into the RailRoad range. 

The LNER W1 steam generator Hush-Hush looks amazing.

It's nice to see that another run of the Drax Biomass Wagons are forthcoming too.

Although it is somewhat disappointing that there no newly tooled items or more additional relieved etc annouced.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

Interesting announcements I wonder why the new HST set was chosen for RailRoad and not their super detailed HSTs? 

I guess to appeal to the RailRoad market.

The Grand Central HST it's interesting to see some of Hornby's older tooling MK3 carriage stock now eventually being moved and merged into the RailRoad range. 

The LNER W1 steam generator Hush-Hush looks amazing.

It's nice to see that another run of the Drax Biomass Wagons are forthcoming too.

Although it is somewhat disappointing that there no newly tooled items or more additional relieved etc annouced.

Ive a set of GC power cars (more accurate ones) R2705 from the last release, and transfers to put the orange on. 

The coaches were harder to find so this may work for me, but why the old mk3 ?

But I think was a miss really, the GC HST would probably work well in the main range.

I kind of get the logic the HSTs were retired 2017, my little one is 13 and she remembers these, and mentioned them a few times, so theres going to be a few teenage-20 somethings with less budget and a memory of them.

I’m not sure they can please everyone….

What we could have had was the EMR final service pair to soak up some of those LNER mk3’s out there…

The Mexican FIT HST might even find some fans in north america in the rail road range instead.

c’est la vie.

3rd run Drax Hoppers, £30 price hike since the ones that arrived last year.

Has everyone rushed to get their pre-orders in then ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

I like that there are more biomass wagons, will certainly be getting some to increase my current rake (or make a second one, depending on how much my dealer will do them for 😆). These I guess are the same liveries on their prior release non suffixed product codes, just different running numbers.

A 60% price increase over 2 years is a bit of a kick in the gut though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If they wanted to do an HST I would’ve gone for the Colas pair in orange/yellow and rebranded EMR purple. Coupled with a short rake of fairly accurate Mk2s in yellow they would’ve sold like hot cakes, yellow stuff always does, even at the exorbitant price that Hornby ask for an HST now. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, NTrains said:

I like that there are more biomass wagons, will certainly be getting some to increase my current rake (or make a second one, depending on how much my dealer will do them for 😆). These I guess are the same liveries on their prior release non suffixed product codes, just different running numbers.

A 60% price increase over 2 years is a bit of a kick in the gut though.

The previous batch price of 50 quid for 2 bogie wagons always seemed surprisingly cheap.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

45 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

43m51s later...

I was multi-tasking in watching the football at the same time.

Some thoughts:
1. Much too long;  20 min max. Why have questions (which many were already previously answered) in a specific launch?

2. What's the point in having half the screen filled by a picture of a RfD 47?
3. Having three presenters is one too many.

4. Why no footage of the W1 actually running with the steam effect? Thought this should have been a basic requirement to see it working.

5. Too much rambling-on about vehicle numbers.

6. Distracting and unprofessional with all the shuffling of papers.
7. The stuff about sound files just went on and on. Why not hear them?

Spot on. 

That 47 should have been replaced by the Drax wagons or Hush Hush.

Q&A should have been another event. It looked like something previously planned had been pulled and they were trying to fill the time!
If the aim was to show all the models on the table, which is a bit unusual, there was certainly space for the wagons too!

R numbers totally unnecessary. It again looked like a way of filling time.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Perhaps in future they could use a Dalek to do the announcements.  So far in this election campaign The Dalek party have been the ones talking sense and being interesting.

Anything brandishing a toilet plunger at me, gets my attention.

• Funny 4

2 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

The previous batch price of 50 quid for 2 bogie wagons always seemed surprisingly cheap.

Possibly, though compared to Accurascale bashing out a pair of highly detailed IIA’s for £75 (67.50 in multiple purchases plus all of the benefits), it wasn’t far of being right considering they are pretty basic models.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

I wonder why they were so cheap ?

And what they cost, that supported that price point.

The LMR 3rd class coach did the same thing…

and the HST DVT trailer, that was priced at a fraction of a Power/Dummy car pair.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, NTrains said:

Possibly, though compared to Accurascale bashing out a pair of highly detailed IIA’s for £75 (67.50 in multiple purchases plus all of the benefits), it wasn’t far of being right considering they are pretty basic models.

Agree in principle, but I'd say generally Accurascale's RRP pricing model is rather different to Hornby's (e.g. Class 60)

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Thanks both. I'm looking forward to 43m51s of  top notch entertainment.

For crushing disappointment it will probably beat Scotlands next Euros match ( and before anyone complains I am Scottish !) 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I gave up watching eventually because it was very uninspiring. However the general feeling seems to be it was what I would term a non-event. I think to be kind to Hornby they were trying to go down the Bachmann route of quarterly announcements. If they continue then eventually they may get to the point where they are doing what Bachmann do and announce something that really was new and has been newly developed (over time) and will excite us. This is a time of transition hopefully and will get better. Plus there wasn't really that much to announce. Bachmann do a much better job but I do think their presenters are a bit wooden. An air of disappointment especially as I was hoping Hornby have been developing a full fat all bells and whistles Class 08 which was going to shake the world . Ah well next time perhaps.

Edited by Bilbo
  • Like 2

I know I mentioned a while back on another thread,  I still don’t know why Hornby aren’t re-running their railroad mk2e’s FO/TSO in Blue/Grey Inter-City.

Could build up a train quite reasonably with those, and they cover quite a time period (mid 70’s to late 80’s) too.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I get the impression with Hornby that there's no one there that understands the recent or current scene( you could argue anything past 1968) . As an example as Nightstar.train points out above , releasing that Railroad (ex Lima) HST power car in Colas livery or variations of it ie ex EMT, LNER etc would make much more sense than a complete train of GC .  

The 66 should be railroad . Release that in the Kaleidoscope of colour schemes with cheap (not fully detailed as with Accurascale/Bachmann) bogie hoppers to match , then you've got a real railroad range . Get a low spec 800 or Pendo in there (remember they used to have a cheap 395 Javelin)  with their ex Lima Sprinter and you are modelling todays railways .   two wagons could make up the range , the aforementioned hopper which would admittedly have to resemble several different types , and a freight liner flat like they've had since 1969 with multi coloured containers 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Lee1975 said:

I know I mentioned a while back on another thread,  I still don’t know why Hornby aren’t re-running their railroad mk2e’s FO/TSO in Blue/Grey Inter-City.

Could build up a train quite reasonably with those, and they cover quite a time period (mid 70’s to late 80’s) too.

Especially as a mk2e/f rake in intercity is on the verge of a comeback on the mainline.

Edited by adb968008

1 minute ago, Legend said:

I get the impression with Hornby that there's no one there that understands the recent or current scene( you could argue anything past 1968) . As an example as Nightstar.train points out above , releasing that Railroad (ex Lima) HST power car in Colas livery or variations of it ie ex EMT, LNER etc would make much more sense than a complete train of GC .  

The 66 should be railroad . Release that in the Kaleidoscope of colour schemes with cheap (not fully detailed as with Accurascale/Bachmann) bogie hoppers to match , then you've got a real railroad range . Get a low spec 800 or Pendo in there (remember they used to have a cheap 395 Javelin)  and you are modelling todays railways . 

I always felt that Hornby only modelled stuff that passed within the vicinity of Margate 😅

Was there ever any more than the 4 "renewable pioneers" pictures used in the Drax Northern Powerhouse liveries?  From a quick online search, all the photos seem to feature the same four designs used by Hornby in both runs of these wagons.  Just wondering if there are any others?

Roddy